Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X3 (E83) Forum
Arnott
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-24-2010, 12:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 18
srhorn is on a distinguished road
Transfer Case compatibility 2004-2010?

I am considering putting a new transfer case in my 2004 X3...and while looking for both new and used cases it looks like the part number changed in 2006 from #27103455134 to #27103455137...both are called an ATC400 and both have the same list price of $2340.11.

Are they compatible? Can I pick up a case from a later model and install it on my 2004?

Steve

I'll cross post in Bimmerforums as well....
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 02-26-2021, 06:56 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: bloomington, in
Posts: 3
hubuddy is on a distinguished road
Reviving old post. SrHorn, did you complete the replacement as described? Nobody replied to this one . I am getting ready to attempt this swap myself. 2007+ LCI E83 atc400 TC into a 2004 E83. Iíve talked to 2 rebuilders and both said rear flange has to exchanged. I will report back with updates as I progress. If anyone has info to share, that would be helpful.

Last edited by hubuddy; 02-26-2021 at 07:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-27-2021, 09:07 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 18
srhorn is on a distinguished road
So I ended up using the earlier model transfer case from a salvage yard to avoid any compatibility issues. 100,000 miles later I had to replace it again (it had 50K on it). Can't complain...my '04 X3 now has 275,000 miles on it with the original 2.5 liter engine! I just picked up an '06 X3 3.0 with 100K as a new project car.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-07-2021, 11:49 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Canada
Posts: 496
c-bass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubuddy View Post
Reviving old post. SrHorn, did you complete the replacement as described? Nobody replied to this one . I am getting ready to attempt this swap myself. 2007+ LCI E83 atc400 TC into a 2004 E83. Iíve talked to 2 rebuilders and both said rear flange has to exchanged. I will report back with updates as I progress. If anyone has info to share, that would be helpful.
I've dropped transfer cases from both the 2004 and 2007 LCI and didn't notice any difference

Rear flange for the driveshaft?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-13-2021, 09:48 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: bloomington, in
Posts: 3
hubuddy is on a distinguished road
So I finally got the transfer case replaced. The rear output flanges are different but can be swapped out. Easy. All finished. Trying to add pics but having a hard time. Will try later. Thanks for everyone’s input
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-14-2021, 09:33 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Canada
Posts: 496
c-bass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubuddy View Post
So I finally got the transfer case replaced. The rear output flanges are different but can be swapped out. Easy. All finished. Trying to add pics but having a hard time. Will try later. Thanks for everyoneís input
Do you have a picture of the flange?

Just curious what the differences are.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-15-2021, 08:42 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: bloomington, in
Posts: 3
hubuddy is on a distinguished road
Rear flange pics

The bright silver flange is from the LCI version, it has a larger prop shaft mounting hole circumference and a shorter installed length. I did not take actual measurements, they may be documented in a parts catalogue. The installed depth and snap ring location are the same. Swapped over with no problems.
Attached Images
   

Last edited by hubuddy; 03-15-2021 at 08:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-15-2021, 03:52 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Canada
Posts: 496
c-bass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubuddy View Post
The bright silver flange is from the LCI version, it has a larger prop shaft mounting hole circumference and a shorter installed length. I did not take actual measurements, they may be documented in a parts catalogue. The installed depth and snap ring location are the same. Swapped over with no problems.
Interesting

Thanks for that
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:28 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
© 2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.