Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Arnott
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-14-2017, 07:31 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Rockland County, NY
Posts: 35
chedeng is on a distinguished road
P0430 Catalytic Converter

Hi, new member here. I recently acquire a 173K - 2001 BMW X5 3.0i with 5-speed MT.


Check Engine Light is ON with the dreaded P0430 Code Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2).


Here are my Questions.



1. Can the rear exhaust manifold be removed without removing the front
exhaust manifold first? The plan is to remove all nuts from top, then twist/turn the manifold down to clear. Can it be done?


2. Is Bosal replacement catalytic converter any good?

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 03-14-2017, 08:05 AM
gatojurko's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Riga
Posts: 444
gatojurko is on a distinguished road
2001. 3.0i??? Ohhh....nooooo! Sell it imediatelly and get 3.0d or at least 4.4i! 3.0i takes almost the same fuel like big engines and drives like a pregnant cow from 0-100! Even diesel goes better than 3.0i! Get fl diesel from 2004.chip it up and u will get about 250hp! Throw away catalysator! Cut off rear mufflers or just make mufflers empty and sound will be like 4.8is! For diesel it goes like a rocket from 0!

Here u can hear sound inside my office for short moment: https://youtu.be/PH_XXzIGJE4

At first u will need to take off the front any way (not sure) u have to take off 'metal plate' at front!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-14-2017, 08:12 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NYC
Posts: 222
Anhelenuk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatojurko View Post
2001. 3.0i??? Ohhh....nooooo! Sell it imediatelly and get 3.0d or at least 4.4i! 3.0i takes almost the same fuel like big engines and drives like a pregnant cow from 0-100! Even diesel goes better than 3.0i! Get fl diesel from 2004.chip it up and u will get about 250hp! Throw away catalysator! Cut off rear mufflers or just make mufflers empty and sound will be like 4.8is! For diesel it goes like a rocket from 0!

Here u can hear sound inside my office for short moment: https://youtu.be/PH_XXzIGJE4

At first u will need to take off the front any way (not sure) u have to take off 'metal plate' at front!
None of this is possible in NY.
__________________
2002 BMW X5 4.6is
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-14-2017, 08:20 AM
gatojurko's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Riga
Posts: 444
gatojurko is on a distinguished road
Greatest country in the world
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-14-2017, 10:16 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 794
lo_jack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatojurko View Post
Greatest country in the world
All possible in Texas. But that is not the point.

The real problem is that an OEM-style replacement manifold/cat combo costs ~$300 for one because of the ridiculous high mounted integrated cat to make ULEV certification.

This is likely at least 1/10th or more of the value of most 3.0s still in operation. And it only returns you to stock, which as our Latvian friend points out, isn't ideal.

I have been trying to figure out how to do headers and bullet cats for both sides (if one cat goes out, the other cannot be far behind), but everything I can come up with is custom and requires welding. But it comes in under $300.

Did you make sure your oxygen sensors are outputting normally by checking the PIDs? Does it smell terrible and have a hard time making RPMS over about 2500? If the 02 sensors are good and your cat really is dead, then changing just the one may be the cheapest but possibly not the easiest option.

Sorry I can't answer the important questions about getting the rear manifold off without taking off the front. I'm going to do both.
__________________
2001 E53 3.0 5pd
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-14-2017, 10:22 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 794
lo_jack is on a distinguished road
Sidebar - ground level smog via half-burned hydrocarbons, N0x and S0x is all bad and carcinogenic. Catalytic converters are good and the right one doesn't hinder performance. Manifold design can, but to be honest the 3.0 doesn't make any more useful power below 5k no matter what manifolds you have on it, particularly if you are pushing a 4500lb truck with it.

Do the world a favor and use working cats. No one's kids need cancer.
__________________
2001 E53 3.0 5pd
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-14-2017, 10:55 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Rockland County, NY
Posts: 35
chedeng is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lo_jack View Post
Did you make sure your oxygen sensors are outputting normally by checking the PIDs? Does it smell terrible and have a hard time making RPMS over about 2500? If the 02 sensors are good and your cat really is dead, then changing just the one may be the cheapest but possibly not the easiest option.

Sorry I can't answer the important questions about getting the rear manifold off without taking off the front. I'm going to do both.
Thanks for the quick response. This car is a project car and my first BMW.

Already have changed all four(4) oxygen sensors and codes keep coming up. I checked fuel trims STFTs and LTFTs they all looked good. The only thing I notice is that the B2O2S2 fluctuates which is a sign of failing catalytic converter. I have not tried Cataclean yet but Iím a little skeptical of its effectiveness and definitely will not be using lacquer thinner.

Exhaust does not smell terrible at all and car runs beautifully. It is just this code keeps coming up after driving about 150 miles after I reset with PA Soft. I am very handy with tools and have a few tools at my disposal. I am leaning towards getting a universal catalytic converter and welding it myself (I have a MIG) but the price of the direct-fit Bosal (< $300 / piece) is not to far off from a universal one. I will have to remove rear exhaust header and see for my self if it is possible.

Thx
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-14-2017, 11:33 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Rockland County, NY
Posts: 35
chedeng is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatojurko View Post
2001. 3.0i??? Ohhh....nooooo! Sell it imediatelly and get 3.0d or at least 4.4i! 3.0i takes almost the same fuel like big engines and drives like a pregnant cow from 0-100! Even diesel goes better than 3.0i! Get fl diesel from 2004.chip it up and u will get about 250hp! Throw away catalysator! Cut off rear mufflers or just make mufflers empty and sound will be like 4.8is! For diesel it goes like a rocket from 0!

Here u can hear sound inside my office for short moment: https://youtu.be/PH_XXzIGJE4

At first u will need to take off the front any way (not sure) u have to take off 'metal plate' at front!
Hahaha. I wish I can afford a Diesel X5. That car commands a premium here in NY. About the exhaust manifolds, I will remove the back first and see if it possible to take out. The reason why I got this car is because of BMW's legendary inline 6 cylinder. It is also the model that comes with a manual transmission. I can go for the newer 06 model but that is beyond what I want to spend on a project car.

I already removed that metal plate you are referring to when I change the front differential oil. I can't recall getting more room in getting to the exhaust manifold nuts from the bottom with that plate removed. I think it is a lot easier to remove these nuts from above by removing the huge windshield washer fluid tank out of the way then use a socket with short extension. I will have to make sure to hit the nuts with huge amounts of penetrating oil (few days prior).
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-14-2017, 02:39 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 794
lo_jack is on a distinguished road
If you have a MIG....

M50/M52 manifolds bolt to an M54 head, provided you use manifolds with a single flange, and they do not drop straight down from the head off cylinder 1 and collide with the A/C compressor. People have put earlier engine headers on E53, but the problem is clearance, as you already know, not really the flange. The thing about the flange is there are not studs/bolts in every hole on the E53 M54 head, so to get enough clamping, it is said, you have to use a single flange design and use all the fasters available.
__________________
2001 E53 3.0 5pd
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-14-2017, 05:46 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Rockland County, NY
Posts: 35
chedeng is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lo_jack View Post
If you have a MIG....

M50/M52 manifolds bolt to an M54 head, provided you use manifolds with a single flange, and they do not drop straight down from the head off cylinder 1 and collide with the A/C compressor. People have put earlier engine headers on E53, but the problem is clearance, as you already know, not really the flange. The thing about the flange is there are not studs/bolts in every hole on the E53 M54 head, so to get enough clamping, it is said, you have to use a single flange design and use all the fasters available.
Thanks for suggesting the M50/M52 manifolds. I will research if this will be a better alternative.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:48 PM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
© 2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.