Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Arnott
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-30-2017, 07:50 PM
four.8is's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Seattle
Posts: 927
four.8is is on a distinguished road
Lemforder suspension kit. How much to DIY?

Just replaced rear shocks today, suspension noise coming from the other parts is insane...ever since I lowered it it has gone downhill very fast..I'm not surprised. I'm embarrassed to drive the car any longer...
I'm planning to get this kit: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...e53-x520piecel
And the subframe bushings to get it all done once and for all.

Anyhow, how much can I do on my own ? I have read rear ball joints and subframe bushings are a pain and better left to the ones that have the tools...but is everything else pretty simple and straightforward?
I remember TMV has done his 4.8 with a Meyle kit if I'm not mistaken, if he could chime in on this that would be great.
Thanks
__________________
2006 X5 4.8is LeMans Blue / creambeige interior
Prod.date: 2006-06-21
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 03-30-2017, 08:29 PM
tmv's Avatar
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 3,294
tmv is on a distinguished road
You ring?
You can pretty much DIY all of them. I have the rear ball joint tool that you can borrow.
Haven't had the subframe bushings done yet but by the look of it, shouldn't be that hard.
Make sure to set aside plenty of time to have this done, just in case you run into issue, and have another vehicle to drive in the mean time.
__________________

00 E39 DINAN S1 //M5 (72k miles)
06 E53 DINAN 4.8iS, born 2/18/2006 (114k miles) http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...s-my-dslr.html
90 Straman Z32 TwinTurbo Convertible (my pride & joy, 1 of 44 ever made) Manual, 444rwhp/451rwtq
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-30-2017, 08:37 PM
four.8is's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Seattle
Posts: 927
four.8is is on a distinguished road
man you're fast lol
was it a pain to take those ball joints out? I'd like to rent it from you im just not sure what to tackle first.
ya a second vehicle is a must, you think 2 days worth of work? or more?
Appreciate the help man!
__________________
2006 X5 4.8is LeMans Blue / creambeige interior
Prod.date: 2006-06-21
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-30-2017, 09:02 PM
Joshdub's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,043
Joshdub is on a distinguished road
I just did everything in December, all in my garage. I have the rear ball joint tool if you want to borrow it.

Note, I installed poly bushings everywhere so I only need to press out old bushings. New ones went in by hand. The trickiest part was getting out the old rear lower control arm bushings. Those were really fused in there.

I took me about two days working slowly and cleaning as I went.
__________________
03 3.0i mt
89 325is
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-30-2017, 09:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Virigina, USA
Posts: 1,668
StephenVA is on a distinguished road
This project is not that difficult. All the bolts just need to be soaked now and turn them later is what is most required. The rear ball joints are the same set up as every E39, in fact you will find that everything looks like an E39 but just a tad larger, beefier, and thicker. Same processes for parts removal is required. There are lots of Videos out there to see the process.
Tip: Do the whole front first then move to the rear.

Using the ball joint tool makes pushing out the old and inserting the new part simple. It takes 1 hr to do the first side and 20 mins the second side. Just remember that you are pushing the entire joint into the pocket of the tool, so use the correct tool cup. If it binds, STOP and review. They push out TOWARDS the front of the vehicle and there is a C clip that needs to be removed before it will slide forward. Hit it with a punch and a small screw driver tip. WD-40 or PB Blaster etc all the way out and the new one in.

Good luck!
__________________

2005 X5 4.8IS
The Blue ones are always FASTER....

Current Garage:
2002 M5 TiSi
2003 525iT
1998 528i
Former Garage Stable Highlights
2004 325XiT Sport
1973 De Tomaso Pantera, L Model
1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 4 sp Alpine White
1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 4 sp GoManGo Green
1971 Dart Sport, “Dart Light” package
1969 Road Runner 383
1968 Ply Barracuda 340S FB Sea-foam Green
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-30-2017, 09:31 PM
four.8is's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Seattle
Posts: 927
four.8is is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshdub View Post
I just did everything in December, all in my garage. I have the rear ball joint tool if you want to borrow it.

Note, I installed poly bushings everywhere so I only need to press out old bushings. New ones went in by hand. The trickiest part was getting out the old rear lower control arm bushings. Those were really fused in there.

I took me about two days working slowly and cleaning as I went.
Josh I might take you up on that offer since you are local. I appreciate the help!
Once I get the suspension parts , I'll shoot you a PM and we can meet up somewhere convenient for you. Will keep in touch!
__________________
2006 X5 4.8is LeMans Blue / creambeige interior
Prod.date: 2006-06-21
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-30-2017, 09:32 PM
four.8is's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Seattle
Posts: 927
four.8is is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenVA View Post
This project is not that difficult. All the bolts just need to be soaked now and turn them later is what is most required. The rear ball joints are the same set up as every E39, in fact you will find that everything looks like an E39 but just a tad larger, beefier, and thicker. Same processes for parts removal is required. There are lots of Videos out there to see the process.
Tip: Do the whole front first then move to the rear.

Using the ball joint tool makes pushing out the old and inserting the new part simple. It takes 1 hr to do the first side and 20 mins the second side. Just remember that you are pushing the entire joint into the pocket of the tool, so use the correct tool cup. If it binds, STOP and review. They push out TOWARDS the front of the vehicle and there is a C clip that needs to be removed before it will slide forward. Hit it with a punch and a small screw driver tip. WD-40 or PB Blaster etc all the way out and the new one in.

Good luck!
Thanks Stephen, that's encouraging.
Also thanks for the tip!
__________________
2006 X5 4.8is LeMans Blue / creambeige interior
Prod.date: 2006-06-21
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-30-2017, 09:43 PM
Joshdub's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,043
Joshdub is on a distinguished road
Sounds good! Depending on time I may be able to lend as hand as well if needed. Send me a PM when you're ready.
__________________
03 3.0i mt
89 325is
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-30-2017, 10:01 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Menlo Park, CA
Posts: 202
Fifty150hs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by four.8is View Post
Just replaced rear shocks today, suspension noise coming from the other parts is insane...ever since I lowered it it has gone downhill very fast..I'm not surprised. I'm embarrassed to drive the car any longer...
I'm planning to get this kit: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...e53-x520piecel
And the subframe bushings to get it all done once and for all.

Anyhow, how much can I do on my own ? I have read rear ball joints and subframe bushings are a pain and better left to the ones that have the tools...but is everything else pretty simple and straightforward?
I remember TMV has done his 4.8 with a Meyle kit if I'm not mistaken, if he could chime in on this that would be great.
Thanks
Did this on mine in phases. Front first then rear. Had to purchase special tool for the rear ball joint. The generic tool doesn't work. Don't waste your money. There is a bolster on the carrier that needs a flat spot on the tool to work. The generic tool doesn't have it so won't work. I dropped $300 for the tool that works after trying to make the generic tool work for two hours. Using the right tool it took 10 minutes to remove the old ball joint and install the new. I will sell the tool after I do the suspension refresh on the wifes's X.

I also changed the subframe bushings. You need a tool for that too. Truck rides and drives much better after the full refresh. They could align my rear wheels as well.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-30-2017, 10:11 PM
four.8is's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Seattle
Posts: 927
four.8is is on a distinguished road
^glad to hear. Yeah I wasn't planning on going at it without the tools required.
Thanks for your insight!
__________________
2006 X5 4.8is LeMans Blue / creambeige interior
Prod.date: 2006-06-21
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:55 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
© 2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.