Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Fluid Motor Union
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-03-2017, 10:34 AM
Canadian-boy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 29
Canadian-boy is on a distinguished road
Trans failsafe prog, can torque interface?

Alright, so I was getting lean codes, I was getting rich codes ( unfortunately not getting rich$ )
I figured out it was throttle body boot had huge hole, I change boot, wipe throttle body and icv valve, put back together and then get the dreaded
"trans failsafe prog " ? I've checked all connections, all vacuum leads lines?
Only thing I did, was I pushed manually with my finger on throttle body flap? I doubt that could have caused this trans failsafe? I did have a code 92 "
can torque interface"
Don't know what to do? Besides that, it starts perfect, idles fines drives great except for a bit harsh shifting now that it's in this mode. Arrrrrrrrggg.
Disconnected Maf, runs horrible and rough idle, So it's NOt Maf. Is there a connector I missed or unhooked? I checked all plugs in transmission and cleaned them with electrical cleaner cause I drove through a lot of water a week ago, and thought....well, maybe....but this happened 3 days after the water and ONLY after I changed the boot?
Anyone have some input, I hate it when my baby says something's wrong and I can't help her 😫

Thanks for any input
__________________
2006 X5 3.0i- dark blue/tan
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 05-03-2017, 03:15 PM
upallnight's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cook County
Posts: 7,280
upallnight is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian-boy View Post
Alright, so I was getting lean codes, I was getting rich codes ( unfortunately not getting rich$ )
I figured out it was throttle body boot had huge hole, I change boot, wipe throttle body and icv valve, put back together and then get the dreaded
"trans failsafe prog " ? I've checked all connections, all vacuum leads lines?
Only thing I did, was I pushed manually with my finger on throttle body flap? I doubt that could have caused this trans failsafe? I did have a code 92 "
can torque interface"

Don't know what to do? Besides that, it starts perfect, idles fines drives great except for a bit harsh shifting now that it's in this mode. Arrrrrrrrggg.
Disconnected Maf, runs horrible and rough idle, So it's NOt Maf. Is there a connector I missed or unhooked? I checked all plugs in transmission and cleaned them with electrical cleaner cause I drove through a lot of water a week ago, and thought....well, maybe....but this happened 3 days after the water and ONLY after I changed the boot?
Anyone have some input, I hate it when my baby says something's wrong and I can't help her 😫

Thanks for any input
This is mostly why you have a transfail safe code. You are not supposed to push the throttle plate on an electronic throttle body. Torque will not read the EGS computer for the trans fail safe code. You need a high end scanner like Snap On Verus or BMW scanner or take it to a dealer that can read the code with their scanner.
__________________
2006 Infiniti G35
2001 BMW 3.0I E53 X5 Build date 08/2000 SOLD
Lotus Europa 1970 Destroyed by fire
Lotus Europa 1970 S2 Renault Powered
Lotus Type 52 1970 Twincam Webers Powered
PORSCHE 911 Targa 1982 The Garage Queen
Audi Avant donated to Kars for Kids
BMW 525IT Sold
Audi 4000CS Quattro Sold
Jensen Healey Lotus Powered Sold
Opel 1900 Sold
Triumph Spitfire 1971 Sold
Triumph Spitfire 1968 Sold
Plymouth "Cuda" 340 Six pack SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-04-2017, 08:00 AM
Canadian-boy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 29
Canadian-boy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
This is mostly why you have a transfail safe code. You are not supposed to push the throttle plate on an electronic throttle body.
Ohh boy...I try to be my own mechanic, but I'm still learning. Thank you for your reply, is there anything I can do to reverse my newb stupidity? I recently tried pressing gas to the floor with key on for 30 seconds and then turning off , in an apparent try to have the throttle re-adapt itself. Seems a bit more responsive now, but still the trans failsafe ��

I also tried taking battery cables off, touching together, resetting the ecu through the dash etc. I've tried everything that others here have tried and what I've read on other forums too, But the failsafe comes right back. I really didn't want to take it to the stealers..last time they quoted me 3K for a 30$ fix.
The Obd2 reader that was used is a "C-reader professional
I forgot it also had a weird code " 5f42 transmission control- limp home operation, which I assume is just confirming the failsafe prog.
Ok I'll try to get scanned with a snap-on and report back..
Thanks
__________________
2006 X5 3.0i- dark blue/tan
__________________
2006 X5 3.0i- dark blue/tan
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-04-2017, 10:15 AM
740iS's Avatar
Premier Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 426
740iS is on a distinguished road
What is the voltage of your battery with the car off and with it running? Could easily be an electrical problem. Your battery or alternator could be on its way out causing a low voltage issue and thus causing the TFS.
__________________
'01 740i Sport MKIV, Quad Brake Lights, Bi-Xenon retrofit, HID Fogs Dinan 7 Struts, Springs, camber plates, Intake, MAF, CAI, Throttle Body, NBT Retrofit, Strong Strut


'99 318ti Titanium Silver; '97 318ti Boston Green; '13 X5 3.5i Saphire Black Metallic
'84 633csi Black (sold); '88 325iC Black (sold); '97 740iL Black(sold); '01 740iS Black (sold);'97 318ti White (sold)
; '08 X5 4.8i Titanium Silver (sold); '96 318ti Alaska Blue (sold)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-04-2017, 11:10 AM
Canadian-boy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 29
Canadian-boy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 740iS View Post
What is the voltage of your battery with the car off and with it running? Could easily be an electrical problem. Your battery or alternator could be on its way out causing a low voltage issue and thus causing the TFS.
Running Voltage is between 13.5 and 13.8, off is 12 or 11.9v, battery and alternator were also changed last year.

Thanks for chiming in..
__________________
2006 X5 3.0i- dark blue/tan
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-04-2017, 11:31 AM
740iS's Avatar
Premier Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 426
740iS is on a distinguished road
12 flat or 11.9 off? That's basically a dead battery. That could very well be your issue.
__________________
'01 740i Sport MKIV, Quad Brake Lights, Bi-Xenon retrofit, HID Fogs Dinan 7 Struts, Springs, camber plates, Intake, MAF, CAI, Throttle Body, NBT Retrofit, Strong Strut


'99 318ti Titanium Silver; '97 318ti Boston Green; '13 X5 3.5i Saphire Black Metallic
'84 633csi Black (sold); '88 325iC Black (sold); '97 740iL Black(sold); '01 740iS Black (sold);'97 318ti White (sold)
; '08 X5 4.8i Titanium Silver (sold); '96 318ti Alaska Blue (sold)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-04-2017, 12:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Menlo Park, CA
Posts: 2,063
Fifty150hs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian-boy View Post
Running Voltage is between 13.5 and 13.8, off is 12 or 11.9v, battery and alternator were also changed last year.

Thanks for chiming in..
You should be seeing over 12 to 12.5 when off and over 14 to 14.5 when running. Was your alternator new or rebuilt? What brand of battery?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-04-2017, 12:08 PM
740iS's Avatar
Premier Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 426
740iS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty150hs View Post
You should be seeing over 12 to 12.5 when off and over 14 to 14.5 when running. Was your alternator new or rebuilt? What brand of battery?
Agreed, I'm at 12.6 to 12.9 off and 14.1 to 14.3 running with lights and all accessories on too.
__________________
'01 740i Sport MKIV, Quad Brake Lights, Bi-Xenon retrofit, HID Fogs Dinan 7 Struts, Springs, camber plates, Intake, MAF, CAI, Throttle Body, NBT Retrofit, Strong Strut


'99 318ti Titanium Silver; '97 318ti Boston Green; '13 X5 3.5i Saphire Black Metallic
'84 633csi Black (sold); '88 325iC Black (sold); '97 740iL Black(sold); '01 740iS Black (sold);'97 318ti White (sold)
; '08 X5 4.8i Titanium Silver (sold); '96 318ti Alaska Blue (sold)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-04-2017, 01:22 PM
Canadian-boy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 29
Canadian-boy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 740iS View Post
Agreed, I'm at 12.6 to 12.9 off and 14.1 to 14.3 running with lights and all accessories on too.
Thank you for you input, but seriously 14.3 v ? With acc on !!???? I think Voltage of Urs is running is a little high. And I think you exaggerating a little ! Hahah. Or maybe your alternator or regulator isn't giving you proper values. ?? Let's do a survey on how many people here have over 14v on their dash computers when running ! I would say.......yawwwnnnnn next to none. , ! Again, that's just an educated guess, but I could be wrong.., and I mean that with all due respect..

Normally if you have 13.8 without accessories when running , then your regulator and alt. is good. So, that. Ain't my prob.
My prob is NOT low voltage... As I said in previous post, fail safe happened after I changed elbow boot.. But I do agree, as when my bat was dead last yr , I had all kinds of gremlins and Failsafe mode, when my MAF sensor was screwed, Again, I had all kinds of gremlins and Failsafe mode. So yes , low voltage, and MAF Sens are 1st to look at when you get a trans Failsafe. ....but, I've been there.
Thank you for pointing out obvious...but my bat is new, I have new Bosch alternator..and like I said, she's running great, just that damn fail safe and bad gas mileage.
But thanks again buddy, I really do appreciate any and all responses.. Muchos gracious !!!!
__________________
2006 X5 3.0i- dark blue/tan

Last edited by Canadian-boy; 05-04-2017 at 01:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-04-2017, 02:53 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Menlo Park, CA
Posts: 2,063
Fifty150hs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian-boy View Post
Thank you for you input, but seriously 14.3 v ? With acc on !!???? I think Voltage of Urs is running is a little high. And I think you exaggerating a little ! Hahah. Or maybe your alternator or regulator isn't giving you proper values. ?? Let's do a survey on how many people here have over 14v on their dash computers when running ! I would say.......yawwwnnnnn next to none. , ! Again, that's just an educated guess, but I could be wrong.., and I mean that with all due respect..

Normally if you have 13.8 without accessories when running , then your regulator and alt. is good. So, that. Ain't my prob.
My prob is NOT low voltage... As I said in previous post, fail safe happened after I changed elbow boot.. But I do agree, as when my bat was dead last yr , I had all kinds of gremlins and Failsafe mode, when my MAF sensor was screwed, Again, I had all kinds of gremlins and Failsafe mode. So yes , low voltage, and MAF Sens are 1st to look at when you get a trans Failsafe. ....but, I've been there.
Thank you for pointing out obvious...but my bat is new, I have new Bosch alternator..and like I said, she's running great, just that damn fail safe and bad gas mileage.
But thanks again buddy, I really do appreciate any and all responses.. Muchos gracious !!!!
No, normally you have over 14 when running and should be seeing more than 12 when off. I've confirmed this with my Indy and any number of other users on these boards. If your battery is dropping below 12 when off you can get any number of problems. The fact it started in conjunction with your elbow change doesn't mean it's not the problem. Ever hear of a coincidence?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:42 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.