Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Bimmer Tool Rental
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 09-24-2018, 10:30 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Menlo Park, CA
Posts: 1,033
Fifty150hs is on a distinguished road
If you're not getting the small stream flow into the expansion tank with the heater set to max, then it's your secondary coolant pump.
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #22  
Old 09-26-2018, 03:29 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Bolton, MA
Posts: 70
jpilk99 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty150hs View Post
If you're not getting the small stream flow into the expansion tank with the heater set to max, then it's your secondary coolant pump.
Thanks Fifty150hs. Any idea where that is on an '03 X5 3.0? I can't find it. Realoem makes it look like it's down by the radiator. A Pelican Parts video made it sound like it was further back under the motor, (need to take of that alloy/metal protection cover plate to get access to it).

Thank you,

Jay
__________________
03 X5 3.0
01 740iL
01 325Ci

00 750iL sold
95 740i sold
99 328i convert
95 325i convert
95 325iS
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-26-2018, 04:47 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Menlo Park, CA
Posts: 1,033
Fifty150hs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpilk99 View Post
Thanks Fifty150hs. Any idea where that is on an '03 X5 3.0? I can't find it. Realoem makes it look like it's down by the radiator. A Pelican Parts video made it sound like it was further back under the motor, (need to take of that alloy/metal protection cover plate to get access to it).

Thank you,

Jay
Unfortunately, I don't. Fortunately for me I haven't had to mess with mine. I'll check mine tonight by turning up the heat with the engine off and see if I can locate it.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-05-2018, 07:18 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: T/B/A
Posts: 56
Rockabilly Rebel is on a distinguished road
My Sure-Fire way:
1- Turn key to acc., have the heat all the way up and fan at low.
2- Unplug the Heater Control Valve elec. plug.
3- Fill the exp. tank all the way to the top! All the way!
4- Squeeze the lower rad hose a few times until no more bubbles at exp. tank
5- Remove excess coolant with a turkey baster (there are 2 rounds on the level stick - top is "add" coolant, bottom is "full" - you have to bend down, be at eye-level with the top of the exp. tank and check the top of the tank compared with the height of the round.) Leave a little extra coolant, just a hair above the "full" level.
6- Replace the cap, start the engine.
7- Wait a minute, rev it at 3000 rpm and crack the bleeder screw while at 3000rpm - you'll see air bubbles, close the bleeder screw, let the rpms down again.
8- Repeat this process until no more air bubbles.
9- Re-plug Heater Control Valve elec. plug
10- Go for a good drive.
11- Make sure your heat doesn't get above 12 o'clock position. If it does: Shut Down. Let it cool down and start over.
12- Check level next morning, make sure top of the tank is level with bottom round.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-05-2018, 11:02 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Menlo Park, CA
Posts: 1,033
Fifty150hs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockabilly Rebel View Post
My Sure-Fire way:
1- Turn key to acc., have the heat all the way up and fan at low.
2- Unplug the Heater Control Valve elec. plug.
3- Fill the exp. tank all the way to the top! All the way!
4- Squeeze the lower rad hose a few times until no more bubbles at exp. tank
5- Remove excess coolant with a turkey baster (there are 2 rounds on the level stick - top is "add" coolant, bottom is "full" - you have to bend down, be at eye-level with the top of the exp. tank and check the top of the tank compared with the height of the round.) Leave a little extra coolant, just a hair above the "full" level.
6- Replace the cap, start the engine.
7- Wait a minute, rev it at 3000 rpm and crack the bleeder screw while at 3000rpm - you'll see air bubbles, close the bleeder screw, let the rpms down again.
8- Repeat this process until no more air bubbles.
9- Re-plug Heater Control Valve elec. plug
10- Go for a good drive.
11- Make sure your heat doesn't get above 12 o'clock position. If it does: Shut Down. Let it cool down and start over.
12- Check level next morning, make sure top of the tank is level with bottom round.
This isn't necessary. The standard bleed procedure works fine. The OP likely has a blown head gasket or warped head.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-05-2018, 11:50 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: T/B/A
Posts: 56
Rockabilly Rebel is on a distinguished road
My way is the 'Sure-Fire' way and it MAKES SURE that the job is done 100%.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-06-2018, 12:26 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Menlo Park, CA
Posts: 1,033
Fifty150hs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockabilly Rebel View Post
My way is the 'Sure-Fire' way and it MAKES SURE that the job is done 100%.
The factory prescribed way has never failed me.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-06-2018, 07:16 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: T/B/A
Posts: 56
Rockabilly Rebel is on a distinguished road
*Until it does*
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-06-2018, 12:34 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Menlo Park, CA
Posts: 1,033
Fifty150hs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockabilly Rebel View Post
*Until it does*
It's worked for the last 12 years. Think I'll stick with.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:23 PM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.