Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Fluid Motor Union
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-08-2019, 10:52 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Maryland
Posts: 8
DaveX53.0i is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Intermittent Starting

Alright so I have a 2002 E53 3.0i which occasionally won't start. The issue seems to stem from the positive battery cable as usually after a jiggle it some I can get it started. I really don't mind this however it is a slight pain because I have a subwoofer installed in the back along with an amp. Now before anyone blames the subwoofer I had it professionally installed and I've checked the fuse and all connections in the rear and they seem to be completely fine. If anyone else has had this same issue and found a fix, I'd love to know. Thank you
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 01-08-2019, 10:58 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NYC
Posts: 930
mr_robot is on a distinguished road
Usual suspect of intermittent starting is usually the fuel pump relay in the glove box. It gets progressively worse and eventually not start at all showing similar symptoms of a weak battery.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________
2005 Imola 4.8iS
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-08-2019, 11:10 AM
Qsilver7's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 3,305
Qsilver7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveX53.0i View Post
...The issue seems to stem from the positive battery cable as usually after a jiggle it some I can get it started...
When you "jiggle" it...what exactly are you jiggling or moving? Is the clamp around the positive battery terminal moving...or are you moving the positive battery cable only?


If you can "jiggle" the positive battery cable and it is loose enough to move around the positive battery terminal...then your cable needs to be tightened (at the least).
__________________
{BMW CCA Member #191509 - (for more info see: www.bmwcca.org)}
  • 2013 f06 650ix GC (1/13 build date) Black Sapphire exterior/Schwarz (black) Nappa Leather interior
  • 2006 e53 X5 4.4i (12/05 build date) Sterling Gray exterior/Schwarz (black) Dakota Leather interior
  • 1997 e38 740iL (sold) Arctic Silver
  • 1999 e39 540iT (sold) Orient Blue
  • 1995 e34 525iT (sold) Alpine White
  • 1991 e32 735iL (sold) Schwarz (black)
  • 1985 e30 325e (sold) Bronzit
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-08-2019, 11:53 AM
upallnight's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cook County
Posts: 6,318
upallnight is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveX53.0i View Post
Alright so I have a 2002 E53 3.0i which occasionally won't start. The issue seems to stem from the positive battery cable as usually after a jiggle it some I can get it started. I really don't mind this however it is a slight pain because I have a subwoofer installed in the back along with an amp. Now before anyone blames the subwoofer I had it professionally installed and I've checked the fuse and all connections in the rear and they seem to be completely fine. If anyone else has had this same issue and found a fix, I'd love to know. Thank you
When you say "Won't Start" is it the engine not turning over, or the engine cranks (turns over) but the engine does fire?

You got to be more descriptive in your assessment of the issue.

I have seen more issues caused by "Professional Installers" because they don't understand the electrical, communication systems install in various cars.
__________________
2006 Infiniti G35
2001 BMW 3.0I E53 X5 Build date 08/2000
Lotus Europa 1970 Destroyed by fire
Lotus Europa 1970 S2 Renault Powered
Lotus Type 52 1970 Twincam Webers Powered
PORSCHE 911 Targa 1982 The Garage Queen
Audi Avant donated to Kars for Kids
BMW 525IT Sold
Audi 4000CS Quattro Sold
Jensen Healey Lotus Powered Sold
Opel 1900 Sold
Triumph Spitfire 1971 Sold
Triumph Spitfire 1968 Sold
Plymouth "Cuda" 340 Six pack SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-08-2019, 02:18 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Maryland
Posts: 8
DaveX53.0i is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
When you say "Won't Start" is it the engine not turning over, or the engine cranks (turns over) but the engine does fire?

You got to be more descriptive in your assessment of the issue.

I have seen more issues caused by "Professional Installers" because they don't understand the electrical, communication systems install in various cars.
Sorry about that, I mean that when I turn my key and it reaches the 3rd position all I get is a single click and all of my electronics come on but no crank or start. As for the installation of the sub and amp I trust the shop as Iíve had them do work before, as well all of the connections are tight and free of corrosion. Also, if it doesnít start, It will always start with a jump.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-08-2019, 02:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Maryland
Posts: 8
DaveX53.0i is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
When you "jiggle" it...what exactly are you jiggling or moving? Is the clamp around the positive battery terminal moving...or are you moving the positive battery cable only?


If you can "jiggle" the positive battery cable and it is loose enough to move around the positive battery terminal...then your cable needs to be tightened (at the least).
I checked the terminal and itís tight and doesnít move at all. I mean more that I grab the red cable and move it around a bit and then try to start, it doesnít always work the first try but it does eventually.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-08-2019, 02:26 PM
andrewwynn's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 4,099
andrewwynn is on a distinguished road
Either completely coincidence having nothing to do with the battery terminal and most likely the problem is in the steering column: ews antenna or ignition switch (or faulty key) else something could be wrong with the BST at the battery.

Next time It fails see if you have voltage at the jump point in the engine bay. If no voltage most likely failure at the BST contact that is somehow opening and closing. If you have voltage at the B+ under the hood the problem almost certainly is key related: switch/ews/key.

Try the other key. If the problem goes away likely bad solder joint on the ews in the key there is a guy will fix for $60
__________________
E53 / M54 2001 3.0i gas LHD (pair of them: his & her)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-10-2019, 12:34 PM
upallnight's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cook County
Posts: 6,318
upallnight is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_robot View Post
Usual suspect of intermittent starting is usually the fuel pump relay in the glove box. It gets progressively worse and eventually not start at all showing similar symptoms of a weak battery.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Could it be a weak battery? Turning the ignition switch only hearing a click usually mean a weak battery. Using a jump pack at the engine battery jump terminals to start usually indicate a weak battery.

An alternator not alternating to charge the battery could be the reason for the weak battery.
__________________
2006 Infiniti G35
2001 BMW 3.0I E53 X5 Build date 08/2000
Lotus Europa 1970 Destroyed by fire
Lotus Europa 1970 S2 Renault Powered
Lotus Type 52 1970 Twincam Webers Powered
PORSCHE 911 Targa 1982 The Garage Queen
Audi Avant donated to Kars for Kids
BMW 525IT Sold
Audi 4000CS Quattro Sold
Jensen Healey Lotus Powered Sold
Opel 1900 Sold
Triumph Spitfire 1971 Sold
Triumph Spitfire 1968 Sold
Plymouth "Cuda" 340 Six pack SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-10-2019, 12:35 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NYC
Posts: 930
mr_robot is on a distinguished road
Yea if you are hearing clicks then I would first assume battery for sure.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________
2005 Imola 4.8iS
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-10-2019, 12:45 PM
andrewwynn's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 4,099
andrewwynn is on a distinguished road
He's said it eventually will start when jiggling the battery cable. Also that it goes from start to click no mention of slow turning start. It feels like key such to me
__________________
E53 / M54 2001 3.0i gas LHD (pair of them: his & her)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
battery, intermittent starting, positive cable

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:55 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
© 2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.