Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Fluid Motor Union
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 08-13-2019, 11:39 AM
bcredliner's Avatar
.1 decrease 0-60 time = $1000 & DIY
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Little Elm,Texas. (40 minutes North of Dallas)
Posts: 6,899
bcredliner is on a distinguished road
What amount of investment gets you to what increase in HPTQ and 0-60?
__________________
X5 4.6 2002 Black Sap, Black interior. 2013 X5M Melbourne Red, Bamboo interior
Dallas
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #22  
Old 08-13-2019, 11:47 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Menlo Park, CA
Posts: 969
Fifty150hs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcredliner View Post
What amount of investment gets you to what increase in HPTQ and 0-60?
The TS-1 goes for around $5700. ESS claims about 100hp increase over stock. It's not clear if that is with stock manifolds or headers. The installation instructions have you changing the air intake, but does nothing with the exhaust.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-13-2019, 12:17 PM
bcredliner's Avatar
.1 decrease 0-60 time = $1000 & DIY
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Little Elm,Texas. (40 minutes North of Dallas)
Posts: 6,899
bcredliner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty150hs View Post
The TS-1 goes for around $5700. ESS claims about 100hp increase over stock. It's not clear if that is with stock manifolds or headers. The installation instructions have you changing the air intake, but does nothing with the exhaust.
Based on results I would go another route or start with higher HP/TQ base of a V8 or just trade for a stock V8 and don't mod it.

Better manifold and headers would help a little but wouldn't be a value either when based on HP/TQ gain per dollar spent. And, to get much out of the manifold and headers would need airbox and some cylinder head work. However, it would attract attention at a Cars and Coffee and be a good sleeper.
__________________
X5 4.6 2002 Black Sap, Black interior. 2013 X5M Melbourne Red, Bamboo interior
Dallas
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-13-2019, 01:07 PM
Happy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Golden Coast/Lake Houston
Posts: 55
Happy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcredliner View Post
What amount of investment gets you to what increase in HPTQ and 0-60?


My setup is supposed to get you S62 power.

Cost, $10,000. And donít just use the kit price. There is much more than just slapping a kit on. Unless you have already went over your power plant and prepped it, which still has a cost.

Worth it? Who knows. But, any tuner or mechanic that has ever driven it says the same thing, itís one of a kind. Not necessarily fastest or most agile, but unique in its ability.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-13-2019, 04:01 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Menlo Park, CA
Posts: 969
Fifty150hs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcredliner View Post
Based on results I would go another route or start with higher HP/TQ base of a V8 or just trade for a stock V8 and don't mod it.

Better manifold and headers would help a little but wouldn't be a value either when based on HP/TQ gain per dollar spent. And, to get much out of the manifold and headers would need airbox and some cylinder head work. However, it would attract attention at a Cars and Coffee and be a good sleeper.
I've been rolling it around in my head as a sleeper. Be nice to be able to punch a 3.0 and have it give 290 hp at the rear wheels.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-13-2019, 04:42 PM
wpoll's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: South Island, New Zealand
Posts: 2,631
wpoll will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty150hs View Post
I've been rolling it around in my head as a sleeper. Be nice to be able to punch a 3.0 and have it give 290 hp at the rear wheels.
Be easy and cheaper to buy later model E70 X5 xDrive 35i - with 302HP from the turbo-charged N55 3.0 I6.

But not as much fun...
__________________
Wayne
2005 BMW X5 3.0d (b 02/05)
2001 BMW F650GS Dakar (b 06/01)
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-13-2019, 07:25 PM
Happy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Golden Coast/Lake Houston
Posts: 55
Happy is on a distinguished road
Forced Induction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty150hs View Post
I've been rolling it around in my head as a sleeper. Be nice to be able to punch a 3.0 and have it give 290 hp at the rear wheels.


MY MAN!


Last edited by Happy; 08-13-2019 at 08:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-14-2019, 01:19 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Menlo Park, CA
Posts: 969
Fifty150hs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpoll View Post
Be easy and cheaper to buy later model E70 X5 xDrive 35i - with 302HP from the turbo-charged N55 3.0 I6.

But not as much fun...
Exactly. Not as much fun. Everything I've read about the X70's makes me not want to buy one. The E53 seems to be the last of the line that had the true "BMW ultimate driving experience". Been lookng for Z4's, but won't go any higher than 2008 for that reason.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-14-2019, 01:24 AM
wpoll's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: South Island, New Zealand
Posts: 2,631
wpoll will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty150hs View Post
Exactly. Not as much fun. Everything I've read about the X70's makes me not want to buy one. The E53 seems to be the last of the line that had the true "BMW ultimate driving experience". Been looking for Z4's, but won't go any higher than 2008 for that reason.
My boss has a 2011 X3 (F25) xDrive35i - same engine, and while it's nice to drive, it's engine is a frenetic beast and you do feel somewhat disconnected from the road...

Snappy though!
__________________
Wayne
2005 BMW X5 3.0d (b 02/05)
2001 BMW F650GS Dakar (b 06/01)
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-14-2019, 09:57 AM
crystalworks's Avatar
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SA, TX
Posts: 3,693
crystalworks is on a distinguished road
Our E70 diesel is not a terrible vehicle at all. Not as much fun as the E53 certainly. But it is capable and still handles better than most other SUVs out there. It's out beater while Red stays under her car cover in the garage.
__________________
2005 X5 4.4i Build 04/05 Maintenance/Build Log
Nav, Pano, Sport (Purchased 06/14 w/ 109,000 miles) (Sold 8/15 w/121,000 miles)


2006 X5 4.8is Build 11/05 Maintenance/Build Log
Nav, DSP, Pano, Running Boards, OEM Tow Hitch, Cold Weather Pckg (Purchased 08/15 w/ 90,500 miles)

2010 X5 35d Build 02/10
Nav, HiFi, 6 DVD, Sports Pckg, Cold Weather Pckg, HUD, CAS, Running Boards, Leather Dash, PDC, Pano (Purchased 03/17 w/ 136,120 miles)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:01 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
© 2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.