Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Arnott
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-26-2020, 02:36 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Quincy, IL
Posts: 47
trhaverstock is on a distinguished road
A/C not blowing cold

I have a 2004 E53 3.0 with just over 105K miles. A/C was working great the other week and now abruptly not blowing cold.

I have a manifold gauge set and am getting around 90psi on both high and low sides with the A/C either on or off. The clutch is engaging when I turn the A/C on and will stop when I turn off. I checked the two 7.5a fuses in the glove box and am good.

I am looking for some advice on what to troubleshoot and hoping for advice it's not the compressor gone bad :-(. I am not well versed on A/C other than adding R134.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 09-26-2020, 02:55 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 71
Caryalon is on a distinguished road
I believe that you have a variable displacement compressor that has a problem with the control valve. There are a bunch of YouTube videos on this.

This should be the one you need: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Santech-Con...sAAOSwwS1a51uB
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-26-2020, 03:47 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Quincy, IL
Posts: 47
trhaverstock is on a distinguished road
I actually wasn't able to find any videos with someone specifically doing a BMW or M54 compressor. It does however look like the compressor has to be evacuated, removed and then this drops in the backside from under a plate? Or can it be done with the compressor still in the vehicle?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-26-2020, 03:52 PM
andrewwynn's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 7,365
andrewwynn is on a distinguished road
Read up on magnetic clutch. It sounds like it's being activated but not engaging. I've never done the job so t lingo might not be accurate but I think there are shims that set the clutch plates and If the clutch wears enough it stops grabbing.
__________________
E53 / M54 2001 3.0i gas LHD (pair of them: his & her)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-26-2020, 03:56 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 71
Caryalon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewwynn View Post
Read up on magnetic clutch. It sounds like it's being activated but not engaging. I've never done the job so t lingo might not be accurate but I think there are shims that set the clutch plates and If the clutch wears enough it stops grabbing.
These compressors are variable displacement - Afaik don't use a magnetic clutch...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-26-2020, 03:58 PM
andrewwynn's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 7,365
andrewwynn is on a distinguished road
Electric goes in and it clicks. Semantics aside its a clutch. It doesnt spin when not engaged. (Eg stay spinning just change to 0% displacement), it definitely has some form of clutch.
__________________
E53 / M54 2001 3.0i gas LHD (pair of them: his & her)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-26-2020, 04:01 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 71
Caryalon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhaverstock View Post
I actually wasn't able to find any videos with someone specifically doing a BMW or M54 compressor. It does however look like the compressor has to be evacuated, removed and then this drops in the backside from under a plate? Or can it be done with the compressor still in the vehicle?
I haven't done it yet, but the videos i saw (may have been a different model bmw) show it done in the car. It's easy enough to loosen the compressor mounting bolts from the bottom, and move the compressor around.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-26-2020, 07:34 PM
upallnight's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cook County
Posts: 7,194
upallnight is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhaverstock View Post
I have a 2004 E53 3.0 with just over 105K miles. A/C was working great the other week and now abruptly not blowing cold.

I have a manifold gauge set and am getting around 90psi on both high and low sides with the A/C either on or off. The clutch is engaging when I turn the A/C on and will stop when I turn off. I checked the two 7.5a fuses in the glove box and am good.

I am looking for some advice on what to troubleshoot and hoping for advice it's not the compressor gone bad :-(. I am not well versed on A/C other than adding R134.

Thanks!
There's your problem lady, the low side is to high and the high side is to low. Looks like the compressor is not compressing. Could be the variable displacement valve that is shot, or perhaps you just need to give it a nudge to get the wobble plate to start wobbling at it maximm rate. Rev the engine with the compressor engage to about 5000 rpm. See if that will nudge the wobble plate.
__________________
2006 Infiniti G35
2001 BMW 3.0I E53 X5 Build date 08/2000 SOLD
Lotus Europa 1970 Destroyed by fire
Lotus Europa 1970 S2 Renault Powered
Lotus Type 52 1970 Twincam Webers Powered
PORSCHE 911 Targa 1982 The Garage Queen
Audi Avant donated to Kars for Kids
BMW 525IT Sold
Audi 4000CS Quattro Sold
Jensen Healey Lotus Powered Sold
Opel 1900 Sold
Triumph Spitfire 1971 Sold
Triumph Spitfire 1968 Sold
Plymouth "Cuda" 340 Six pack SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-26-2020, 07:46 PM
upallnight's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cook County
Posts: 7,194
upallnight is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewwynn View Post
Electric goes in and it clicks. Semantics aside its a clutch. It doesnt spin when not engaged. (Eg stay spinning just change to 0% displacement), it definitely has some form of clutch.
If you heard the click when the compressor is enage that means the magnetic clutch is working. If you don't hear the click that means the magnetic clutch is not working. You can't have a click and the magnetic clutch isn't working.
__________________
2006 Infiniti G35
2001 BMW 3.0I E53 X5 Build date 08/2000 SOLD
Lotus Europa 1970 Destroyed by fire
Lotus Europa 1970 S2 Renault Powered
Lotus Type 52 1970 Twincam Webers Powered
PORSCHE 911 Targa 1982 The Garage Queen
Audi Avant donated to Kars for Kids
BMW 525IT Sold
Audi 4000CS Quattro Sold
Jensen Healey Lotus Powered Sold
Opel 1900 Sold
Triumph Spitfire 1971 Sold
Triumph Spitfire 1968 Sold
Plymouth "Cuda" 340 Six pack SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-27-2020, 02:08 PM
upallnight's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cook County
Posts: 7,194
upallnight is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewwynn View Post
Read up on magnetic clutch. It sounds like it's being activated but not engaging. I've never done the job so t lingo might not be accurate but I think there are shims that set the clutch plates and If the clutch wears enough it stops grabbing.
The air gap is the distance between the pulley and the face of the clutch. If the air gap is too great the coil won't be strong enough to pull the clutch up against the pulley to engage the clutch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNx0X4INfiw
__________________
2006 Infiniti G35
2001 BMW 3.0I E53 X5 Build date 08/2000 SOLD
Lotus Europa 1970 Destroyed by fire
Lotus Europa 1970 S2 Renault Powered
Lotus Type 52 1970 Twincam Webers Powered
PORSCHE 911 Targa 1982 The Garage Queen
Audi Avant donated to Kars for Kids
BMW 525IT Sold
Audi 4000CS Quattro Sold
Jensen Healey Lotus Powered Sold
Opel 1900 Sold
Triumph Spitfire 1971 Sold
Triumph Spitfire 1968 Sold
Plymouth "Cuda" 340 Six pack SOLD
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:47 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.