Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Fluid Motor Union
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 11-16-2020, 01:04 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Canada
Posts: 178
c-bass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiubhartach View Post
This is Truth. I have 3 years of receipts from the PO totaling $30k to the dealer for maintenance. Who can afford $10k per year in maintenance? And why would you, even if you could?
I bought a 2002 330ci convertible last year. The previous owner had all the records for the 10 years he had it. 14k worth service in that time and nothing major was replaced. The mechanic was an independent shop that specialized in European vehicles and they upsold and charged this guy every single thing you can imagine.

He goes in for a complete brake job, drops and grand in parts and labor and they charged him to top up his fluids

There's quite a few things they charged for that I think is sort of hitting below the belt. Along the lines of going in for a bad bearing and the mechanic charging $75 for a diagnostic fee which I'm pretty sure would consist of wiggling the tire.

I bet that mechanic will be sorry buddy sold the car.
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #22  
Old 11-16-2020, 01:16 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Canada
Posts: 178
c-bass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewwynn View Post
I learned from my dad eons ago better to buy the specially tool than hire the guy who has one, in most cases you break even on the first job. It was far far more difficult to repair a car before the internet


over the years I've learned that even if I do all the work myself I'm still way ahead in cost (At least for my pay grade anyway) AND I get to keep the tool.

Many of the high ticket jobs I've done myself were high ticket because it was mostly grunt work that takes time, specially here with the winter and salty roads. Ball joints can take an hour or days depending on what I'm dealing with and where I'm working, like a driveway...in the winter...while it's snowing.

The internet makes it almost too easy. I watched a guy on youtube tear apart a transmission literally in 40 minutes. He did it all pretty much in real time and presented everything in a way that made it look fairly straightforward. Depending on the cost of a rebuild kit I might want to give it a whirl once the transmission on the convertible goes (please don't jinx me, please don't jinx me)

There are some fantastic resources out there for us car guys and I've been on forums where there were literally guys who built or designed the cars we're talking about pop in and give advice.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-16-2020, 07:38 PM
andrewwynn's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 6,630
andrewwynn is on a distinguished road
Before I bought my first x5 I searched for both a complete motor and a complete transmission. I found both at reasonable price so I jumped in head first.

I have a customer has a 328xi it's more like e70 than e53 but I've done some major repairs including the electric water pump and the biggie! Transfer case! Found a decent used one for $500 including shipping.

Funny oversight in my pre purchase research I missed that it took premium gas. Oops.
__________________
E53 / M54 2001 3.0i gas LHD (pair of them: his & her)
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-17-2020, 12:03 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 154
stiubhartach is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-bass View Post


over the years I've learned that even if I do all the work myself I'm still way ahead in cost (At least for my pay grade anyway) AND I get to keep the tool.

Many of the high ticket jobs I've done myself were high ticket because it was mostly grunt work that takes time, specially here with the winter and salty roads. Ball joints can take an hour or days depending on what I'm dealing with and where I'm working, like a driveway...in the winter...while it's snowing.

The internet makes it almost too easy. I watched a guy on youtube tear apart a transmission literally in 40 minutes. He did it all pretty much in real time and presented everything in a way that made it look fairly straightforward. Depending on the cost of a rebuild kit I might want to give it a whirl once the transmission on the convertible goes (please don't jinx me, please don't jinx me)

There are some fantastic resources out there for us car guys and I've been on forums where there were literally guys who built or designed the cars we're talking about pop in and give advice.

Youíve got the right attitude, but donít do a transmission yourself. Thatís the one thing thatís almost impossible to do correctly. You need very specific manuals and tools and testing.
__________________
2005 X5 4.4i SterlingGrau, Sport Package, DSP
Build 3/12/2005



Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-17-2020, 05:39 AM
andrewwynn's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 6,630
andrewwynn is on a distinguished road
You can swap a transmission mostly DIY might need help to wrangle the thing around, but I don't think any fancy tools are needed, I even saw a trick where a guy put a dolly under the xm, blocked it tight with wood blocks and then lifted the from of the car up to pull the xm out the front of thre car. Clever no lift solution. I would probably use a floor jack and some wood like I did with the transfer case.
__________________
E53 / M54 2001 3.0i gas LHD (pair of them: his & her)
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-17-2020, 11:36 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Menlo Park, CA
Posts: 1,432
Fifty150hs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiubhartach View Post
This is Truth. I have 3 years of receipts from the PO totaling $30k to the dealer for maintenance. Who can afford $10k per year in maintenance? And why would you, even if you could?
Especially on a vehicle that isn't worth that amount. Not even close. Money to burn I guess.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-17-2020, 04:49 PM
andrewwynn's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 6,630
andrewwynn is on a distinguished road
I tell people all the time as long as you do all the work not too expensive to maintain but clearly once maintenance is more than a lease payment no point
__________________
E53 / M54 2001 3.0i gas LHD (pair of them: his & her)
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-17-2020, 09:33 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Canada
Posts: 178
c-bass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiubhartach View Post
Youíve got the right attitude, but donít do a transmission yourself. Thatís the one thing thatís almost impossible to do correctly. You need very specific manuals and tools and testing.
Watch the videos on youtube with Gary Ferraro tearing apart the ZF5HP19 and maybe you'll feel the same way as I did.

The teardown doesn't involve any special tools and I can't imagine putting it back together is any different.

50s kid also rebuilt his own transmission in his garage and he's a software programmer

I'm sure it's not easy per say, but I think transmission work is something that most people (myself included) think of as sorcery but it's obvious from the shops I visited not everyone is a necessarily a wizard
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:52 PM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
© 2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.