Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Fluid Motor Union
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-20-2021, 04:49 PM
dkl's Avatar
dkl dkl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Southern Cal
Posts: 2,869
dkl is on a distinguished road
Bad thoughts

I've been thinking about letting my beloved X5 go recently, but having trouble writing a "For Sale" ad. I need some convincing either way.

I had saved up a long time for it and was finally able to order the X5 back in January 2004 to my exact liking - not much options, and no fluffs...only got 4 options (HID, Leather, moonroof, and Steptronic). I had some regrets about the latter 2 options ;-) Then started modifying it soon after that thanks to you guys, mostly from the original "toadfly" crowds, that became X5World and now Xoutpost. Added the expensive OE aluminum running boards, type 132 OE staggered wheels, Remus exhaust, JL Audio subwoofer, and too many little things to name. You guys costed me a lot more money than I had originally anticipated.

This was my first expensive, not necessarily luxury "do everything" car. Got roof rack to stow my snowboard to get me to the mountains in the winters. Got a non-OE hitch to haul my mountain bike in the summers - so much great memories with the car. I'm starting to use the car less and less as I am "retiring" from snowboarding and the mountain bike rides becomes less frequent. The X5 had lost it's gargage spot since we purchased a new car 4 years ago. It pains me to see it sit outside degrading in the sun as the X5 has be relegated to becoming our "spare" car. It is more of a sentimental thing now more than anything else.

Sell or Keep? Comments appreciated...
__________________
2004 X5 3.0i
Born 02/04
Delivered 03/04
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 07-20-2021, 05:42 PM
Happy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Golden Coast/Lake Houston
Posts: 998
Happy is on a distinguished road
OEM car cover, problem solved.
__________________
02 BMW 5 Speed Supercharged Ethanol Burnin Meth Injected E53

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-20-2021, 08:36 PM
dkl's Avatar
dkl dkl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Southern Cal
Posts: 2,869
dkl is on a distinguished road
Good and fair point. Although, I've read mixed reviews regarding car covers causing more damage (scratching, trapping moisture, etc) than help. Any truth to this?
__________________
2004 X5 3.0i
Born 02/04
Delivered 03/04
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-20-2021, 09:55 PM
crystalworks's Avatar
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SA, TX
Posts: 5,648
crystalworks is on a distinguished road
The OEM Noah cover (made by covercraft I believe) is excellent and very easy on paint. I buy one for every BMW I can find one for. Wouldn't recommend it for snow (though I have no experience) but it handles rain just fine. Used to use one on my E30 everyday at work. 10 hour days in 100f+ days. They get my vote.
__________________
2005 X5 4.4i Build 04/05 Maintenance/Build Log
Nav, Pano, Sport (Purchased 06/14 w/ 109,000 miles) (Sold 8/15 w/121,000 miles)


2006 X5 4.8is Build 11/05 Maintenance/Build Log
Nav, DSP, Pano, Running Boards, OEM Tow Hitch, Cold Weather Pckg (Purchased 08/15 w/ 90,500 miles)

2010 X5 35d Build 02/10
Nav, HiFi, 6 DVD, Sports Pckg, Cold Weather Pckg, HUD, CAS, Running Boards, Leather Dash, PDC, Pano (Purchased 03/17 w/ 136,120 miles)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-20-2021, 10:05 PM
PropellerHead's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: At the wheel of a Bimmer
Posts: 1,984
PropellerHead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkl View Post
Sell or Keep? Comments appreciated...
The solution is simple: Sell the M Coupe to me and solve the garage space problem.

I had the most fun I've ever had in a BMW in an M Coupe on the track in Spartanburg. That's saying something when you consider that I saw the 1st set of boobies ever in the passenger seat of my '75 2002.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-21-2021, 12:44 AM
dkl's Avatar
dkl dkl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Southern Cal
Posts: 2,869
dkl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalworks View Post
The OEM Noah cover (made by covercraft I believe) is excellent and very easy on paint. I buy one for every BMW I can find one for. Wouldn't recommend it for snow (though I have no experience) but it handles rain just fine. Used to use one on my E30 everyday at work. 10 hour days in 100f+ days. They get my vote.
Thank you for the input/suggestion. Putting on/taking off a car cover on the X5 won't be that fun. I would imaging it would probably be OK for a normal size car.


Quote:
Originally Posted by PropellerHead View Post
The solution is simple: Sell the M Coupe to me and solve the garage space problem.

I had the most fun I've ever had in a BMW in an M Coupe on the track in Spartanburg. That's saying something when you consider that I saw the 1st set of boobies ever in the passenger seat of my '75 2002.
Make me an offer that I can't refuse on the M Coupe and it's yours!

J/K - It would be even harder for me to part with the M Coupe. For you, the X5 is your road trip machine. For me, it is the M Coupe. Took it on so many adventures and made so many friends with the Raddrives club!
2014 - Mammoth, Devils Postpile, Yosemite Road Trip => https://raddrives.com/mammoth-devils...ite-road-trip/
2015 - Epic SouthWest Road Trip => https://raddrives.com/epic-road-trip-south-west/
2017 - Crater Lake Tour => https://raddrives.com/crater-lake-tour/
2017 - Valley of Fire Trip => https://raddrives.com/fire-tour/
__________________
2004 X5 3.0i
Born 02/04
Delivered 03/04
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-21-2021, 02:02 AM
Happy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Golden Coast/Lake Houston
Posts: 998
Happy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkl View Post
Putting on/taking off a car cover on the X5 won't be that fun. I would imaging it would probably be OK for a normal size car.
Iíve been doing it for 12 years now. Itís not all that bad. My E53 has not been garaged for the entire time Iíve owned it. Iíll let the pic speak for itself.



Itís worth it if, you still want to keep it in the family. However, if itís time to let it go, then maybe thatís a better solution for your situation.

To be honest though, the wife does find it a bit annoying to constantly fuss with the car cover. And, I do highly respect her opinions. But for me, well worth it to keep OleíGirl shining! LoL..

+1 for the OEM E53 exterior protective cover.
__________________
02 BMW 5 Speed Supercharged Ethanol Burnin Meth Injected E53

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-21-2021, 03:31 AM
X5only's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 1,200
X5only is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkl View Post
I've been thinking about letting my beloved X5 go recently, but having trouble writing a "For Sale" ad. I need some convincing either way.

I had saved up a long time for it and was finally able to order the X5 back in January 2004 to my exact liking - not much options, and no fluffs...only got 4 options (HID, Leather, moonroof, and Steptronic). I had some regrets about the latter 2 options ;-) Then started modifying it soon after that thanks to you guys, mostly from the original "toadfly" crowds, that became X5World and now Xoutpost. Added the expensive OE aluminum running boards, type 132 OE staggered wheels, Remus exhaust, JL Audio subwoofer, and too many little things to name. You guys costed me a lot more money than I had originally anticipated.

This was my first expensive, not necessarily luxury "do everything" car. Got roof rack to stow my snowboard to get me to the mountains in the winters. Got a non-OE hitch to haul my mountain bike in the summers - so much great memories with the car. I'm starting to use the car less and less as I am "retiring" from snowboarding and the mountain bike rides becomes less frequent. The X5 had lost it's gargage spot since we purchased a new car 4 years ago. It pains me to see it sit outside degrading in the sun as the X5 has be relegated to becoming our "spare" car. It is more of a sentimental thing now more than anything else.

Sell or Keep? Comments appreciated...
If that's the only "issue", keep it lest you regret forever. My beloved 1997 E39 528 was in the same boat. She's been mine since 2001 and I decided long ago she's mine forever, and in retrospect I think that was a genius decision because she warms my heart whenever I drive her .
__________________
'05 E53 X5 4.4i, '97 E39 528, '07 E92 335i, '16 F86 X6M.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-21-2021, 10:33 AM
PropellerHead's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: At the wheel of a Bimmer
Posts: 1,984
PropellerHead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5only View Post
My beloved 1997 E39 528 was in the same boat. She's been mine since 2001 and I decided long ago she's mine forever, and in retrospect I think that was a genius decision because she warms my heart whenever I drive her .
You are making the decision much more difficult to let go of my E39's. I don't think the 530 has 50k miles and the SC'd 540 has just over 50k. They're garaged and covered, but still. They're too pretty to stay cooped up.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-21-2021, 11:06 AM
dkl's Avatar
dkl dkl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Southern Cal
Posts: 2,869
dkl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Iíve been doing it for 12 years now. Itís not all that bad. My E53 has not been garaged for the entire time Iíve owned it. Iíll let the pic speak for itself.

Itís worth it if, you still want to keep it in the family. However, if itís time to let it go, then maybe thatís a better solution for your situation.

To be honest though, the wife does find it a bit annoying to constantly fuss with the car cover. And, I do highly respect her opinions. But for me, well worth it to keep OleíGirl shining! LoL..

+1 for the OEM E53 exterior protective cover.
Do you only put the cover on if the car is completely clean? If I use the car once in a while, it will pick up some dirt and putting the car cover on will also cause it to pick up those dirt and eventually scratch it?


Quote:
Originally Posted by X5only View Post
If that's the only "issue", keep it lest you regret forever. My beloved 1997 E39 528 was in the same boat. She's been mine since 2001 and I decided long ago she's mine forever, and in retrospect I think that was a genius decision because she warms my heart whenever I drive her .
Agreed - If I had a 3rd garage spot or some way of storing it and still easily access it, this post wouldn't even come up. I even thought about putting in a lift, but my garage isn't tall enough for it


Quote:
Originally Posted by PropellerHead View Post
You are making the decision much more difficult to let go of my E39's. I don't think the 530 has 50k miles and the SC'd 540 has just over 50k. They're garaged and covered, but still. They're too pretty to stay cooped up.
We all need help
__________________
2004 X5 3.0i
Born 02/04
Delivered 03/04
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:50 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
© 2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.