Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Fluid Motor Union
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-31-2021, 04:42 PM
Rockit's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 399
Rockit is on a distinguished road
A/C just Stopped-Compressor is spinning

2006 3.0 Has anyone had this experience the a/c has been blowing ice cold and all of a sudden it feels like the heater is on. The fan clutch is fine and the compressor is spinning.

It feels like its blowing hotter air like the heater is on. I pushed every button, spun the temp wheel and no difference.

Seems like a blend door motor is stuck.

The A/C has been working flawless for years.
__________________
2002 X5 4.4i Sport Wheels
2014 X5 35i M Appearance & suspension package
1995 Porsche 993
2020 GLE 450 Twin Turbo
2019 Alfa Stelvio Quadrifogilo
Many motorcycles
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 08-31-2021, 05:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Posts: 38
aheckenast is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockit View Post
2006 3.0 Has anyone had this experience the a/c has been blowing ice cold and all of a sudden it feels like the heater is on. The fan clutch is fine and the compressor is spinning.



It feels like its blowing hotter air like the heater is on. I pushed every button, spun the temp wheel and no difference.



Seems like a blend door motor is stuck.



The A/C has been working flawless for years.
Bmw's (e53 included) don't use a blend door. Instead they have a coolant valve that controls how much hot coolant flows to the heater core dependant on hvac temp selected. On the e53 3.0i it is located on the driverside of engine bay sidewall below strut tower.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-31-2021, 06:21 PM
Rockit's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 399
Rockit is on a distinguished road
Thanks, that has to be it, car has 160k and it just stopped. I'm going to say it works like 18 wheeler breaks, it need air pressure to spin and if it losses air pressure the brakes go on full. I'm guessing when these valve goes bad it stay stuck open so you have heat.

FCP has the oem $180...oh well.
__________________
2002 X5 4.4i Sport Wheels
2014 X5 35i M Appearance & suspension package
1995 Porsche 993
2020 GLE 450 Twin Turbo
2019 Alfa Stelvio Quadrifogilo
Many motorcycles
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-31-2021, 07:21 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Posts: 38
aheckenast is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockit View Post
Thanks, that has to be it, car has 160k and it just stopped. I'm going to say it works like 18 wheeler breaks, it need air pressure to spin and if it losses air pressure the brakes go on full. I'm guessing when these valve goes bad it stay stuck open so you have heat.

FCP has the oem $180...oh well.
Verify the electrical circuits to the heater valve connector first before condemning it.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-31-2021, 07:58 PM
Premier Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Palm Springs, CA
Posts: 195
PalmSpringsE534.6 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockit View Post
Thanks, that has to be it, car has 160k and it just stopped. I'm going to say it works like 18 wheeler breaks, it need air pressure to spin and if it losses air pressure the brakes go on full. I'm guessing when these valve goes bad it stay stuck open so you have heat.

FCP has the oem $180...oh well.
I've bought the cheap ones and had a good experience. I think I paid $40 for mine in my 4.6is.
__________________
2003 E53 4.6is, titanium silver, black Nappa interior
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-31-2021, 08:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,506
cn90 is on a distinguished road
- Park the car overnight.

- In the morning, start slow and drive slowly...if AC works fine for a few miles (bc coolant temp is not hot yet), then starting getting warm as you drive, then trouble-shoot the heater valve.

- Another approach is GENTLY clamp the heater hoses x2, leave car on driveway, run AC to see if it gets cold. This is another way to diagnose heater valve issues.
__________________
1998 E39 528i 5sp MT
2006 E53 X5 3.0 6sp MT
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-01-2021, 10:25 AM
Rockit's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 399
Rockit is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
- Park the car overnight.

- In the morning, start slow and drive slowly...if AC works fine for a few miles (bc coolant temp is not hot yet), then starting getting warm as you drive, then trouble-shoot the heater valve.

- Another approach is GENTLY clamp the heater hoses x2, leave car on driveway, run AC to see if it gets cold. This is another way to diagnose heater valve issues.
Good point, Thank you.

Thanks to all as well.
__________________
2002 X5 4.4i Sport Wheels
2014 X5 35i M Appearance & suspension package
1995 Porsche 993
2020 GLE 450 Twin Turbo
2019 Alfa Stelvio Quadrifogilo
Many motorcycles
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-10-2021, 01:37 PM
Rockit's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 399
Rockit is on a distinguished road
Turns out Compressor is bad and coil fan. Compressor was spinning but nothing was happing. Something let loose inside the compressor. I have no idea why the compressor still spun like normal...whatever and $1,000 on the BMW Yugo. Last month 4k on the cooling system. So I've over spent what the truck is worth again.
__________________
2002 X5 4.4i Sport Wheels
2014 X5 35i M Appearance & suspension package
1995 Porsche 993
2020 GLE 450 Twin Turbo
2019 Alfa Stelvio Quadrifogilo
Many motorcycles
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-10-2021, 02:49 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Menlo Park, CA
Posts: 1,797
Fifty150hs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockit View Post
Thanks, that has to be it, car has 160k and it just stopped. I'm going to say it works like 18 wheeler breaks, it need air pressure to spin and if it losses air pressure the brakes go on full. I'm guessing when these valve goes bad it stay stuck open so you have heat.

FCP has the oem $180...oh well.
The Foxwell scanner will tell you if it's bad.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-10-2021, 02:51 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Menlo Park, CA
Posts: 1,797
Fifty150hs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockit View Post
Turns out Compressor is bad and coil fan. Compressor was spinning but nothing was happing. Something let loose inside the compressor. I have no idea why the compressor still spun like normal...whatever and $1,000 on the BMW Yugo. Last month 4k on the cooling system. So I've over spent what the truck is worth again.
That's why it's a good idea not to own them unless you can work on them yourself. Most of the cost of repairs is in labor. Parts, unless you waste your money on genuine BMW, are not that bad.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:18 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.