Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Fluid Motor Union
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 05-18-2022, 01:13 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Australia
Posts: 6
Titan4.8iS is on a distinguished road
I know this post is a bit old, and you may not even come round here anymore...

But I too have been dealing with the same issue (even down to the low pressure readings off the sensor being the same values...)

I've found by unplugging the pressure sensor off the front of the common rail that the indicated pressure value and target value both set to 400bar and the truck fired straight up.

I've been reading around the last few days about people having similar issues and going down the injector leak down testing route to establish leaky injectors too....

I've noticed on mine, if i let the truck sit for a while and then start it, it's quite heavy on diesel fumes and gasses out the back, so the leaky injector path is my next place to start looking.

I'm not sure how that would play into the fact of the low pressure on crank apart from them leaking that badly they don't allow pressure to build up at all...

I may have two separate issues at play here, one being leaky injectors leading to the smoke on start-up
And two being the pressure sensor off the rail being faulty.

Just thought I'd give you some information from my own experiences of dealing with this same issue...
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #12  
Old 05-18-2022, 01:31 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Australia
Posts: 21
AUSBMX is on a distinguished road
Good reminder to post an update!

It turns out my issue was the low pressure fuel pump intermittently failing - diagnosed by just hitting it with a socket extension (you can -just- access it through a small hole in the shroud) during a period where it wouldn't start (or pump fuel out the quick connector), and it whirred into life. Ended up pulling it apart, and the brushes were worn down so the springs weren't providing the required preload for a good connection. New fuel pump installed, and haven't had an issue since.

Good luck with your issue!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-18-2022, 01:36 AM
wpoll's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: South Island, New Zealand
Posts: 4,624
wpoll will become famous soon enough
Thanks to you both for the additional information - follow-ups on issues like this can be a life-saver for someone...

And well done to Clavurion for picking the likely fault early on!
__________________
Wayne
2005 BMW X5 3.0d (b 02/05)
2001 BMW F650GS Dakar (b 06/01)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-02-2022, 01:22 AM
deepblonde's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Australia, Melbourne
Posts: 284
deepblonde is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSBMX View Post
Good reminder to post an update!

It turns out my issue was the low pressure fuel pump intermittently failing - diagnosed by just hitting it with a socket extension (you can -just- access it through a small hole in the shroud) during a period where it wouldn't start (or pump fuel out the quick connector), and it whirred into life. Ended up pulling it apart, and the brushes were worn down so the springs weren't providing the required preload for a good connection. New fuel pump installed, and haven't had an issue since.

Good luck with your issue!
Is that the fuel pump near the fuel filter? Was it difficult to replace?
__________________
X5 E70 3.0d M-Sport , 2010 Titan Silver , ZF 6HP28, 320hp.

X5 E53 3.0d Sport, 2006 LeMans Blue, ZF 6HP26, diesel .
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-02-2022, 09:08 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,373
Clavurion is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepblonde View Post
Is that the fuel pump near the fuel filter? Was it difficult to replace?
Yes it's near fuel filter. Worth renewing the filter at the same time if you change the pump. The pump itself is quite easy to change. Removing the plastic bottom covering is the time consuming part. Make sure you have new hose clamps (preferably stainless) to replace the original ones.
__________________
E39 530dA -02 M-Sport Messing metallic
E53 X5 3.0dA -06 Sport Stratus grey
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-02-2022, 06:29 PM
deepblonde's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Australia, Melbourne
Posts: 284
deepblonde is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clavurion View Post
Yes it's near fuel filter. Worth renewing the filter at the same time if you change the pump. The pump itself is quite easy to change. Removing the plastic bottom covering is the time consuming part. Make sure you have new hose clamps (preferably stainless) to replace the original ones.
Thank you;
My only issue is my e53 takes longer to start than my e70; a longer crank .
Even cold , my e70 will fire after cranking for only one second.
I know the e70 has more modern piezo injectors ; but itís made me notice how long it takes my e53 ( about 3 or 4 seconds cranking when dead cold. Hot start is faster.)
So , In my e53 , Iíve changed the fuel filter, glow plugs ( but I didnít change the glow plug controller) I fitted a new injector, and dismantled and cleaned the other injectors;
But no change.
Iím thinking I should change the controller and maybe the inline pump in case itís just tired . And maybe the starter motor ?
__________________
X5 E70 3.0d M-Sport , 2010 Titan Silver , ZF 6HP28, 320hp.

X5 E53 3.0d Sport, 2006 LeMans Blue, ZF 6HP26, diesel .
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-04-2022, 02:51 AM
andrewwynn's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 10,731
andrewwynn will become famous soon enough
Long crank diesel e53 is almost always the starter.

I've seen at least a dozen threads, only maybe two weren't the starter.

Get an amp reading at start and see what the current is: I think it's supposed to be about 250A. I've seen over 400!

Usually people first replace the battery and it will start much faster they think they resolved the problem until the starter pulling 50-100% more current is killing the battery.

If not the starter it will be a good data point to consider options.

I haven't worked on diesels or done any work on high pressure fuel pumps yet (though both mine and wife's cars both have them (gas not diesel). The hpfp is very pricy, hope it's not that.
__________________
2011 E70 ē N55 (me)
2012 E70 ē N63 (wife)
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-31-2022, 02:35 AM
deepblonde's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Australia, Melbourne
Posts: 284
deepblonde is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewwynn View Post
Long crank diesel e53 is almost always the starter.

I've seen at least a dozen threads, only maybe two weren't the starter.

Get an amp reading at start and see what the current is: I think it's supposed to be about 250A. I've seen over 400!

Usually people first replace the battery and it will start much faster they think they resolved the problem until the starter pulling 50-100% more current is killing the battery.

If not the starter it will be a good data point to consider options.

I haven't worked on diesels or done any work on high pressure fuel pumps yet (though both mine and wife's cars both have them (gas not diesel). The hpfp is very pricy, hope it's not that.
I replaced the starter with a Bosch and itís a million times better!

Iíd already replaced starter with the same original Denso BMW years ago but it was always slow cranking.
It was difficult to find a Bosch that fit ; and I had to drill out the hole for the locating pin to make it fit . It bursts into life almost instantly!
Attached Images
  
__________________
X5 E70 3.0d M-Sport , 2010 Titan Silver , ZF 6HP28, 320hp.

X5 E53 3.0d Sport, 2006 LeMans Blue, ZF 6HP26, diesel .
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-31-2022, 06:46 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,373
Clavurion is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepblonde View Post
I replaced the starter with a Bosch and itís a million times better!

Iíd already replaced starter with the same original Denso BMW years ago but it was always slow cranking.
It was difficult to find a Bosch that fit ; and I had to drill out the hole for the locating pin to make it fit . It bursts into life almost instantly!
Was that replaced Denso a used part or brand new original?
__________________
E39 530dA -02 M-Sport Messing metallic
E53 X5 3.0dA -06 Sport Stratus grey
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-31-2022, 07:37 AM
deepblonde's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Australia, Melbourne
Posts: 284
deepblonde is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clavurion View Post
Was that replaced Denso a used part or brand new original?
Refurbished. Actually my Ďnewí Bosch has Ďremanufactured in Chinaí printed on it , so I was initially disappointed as I thought it was going to be new , as Iíve seen new Bosch starters advertised as made in Hungary or made United Arab Emirates .
But everything on the outside looks brand new , the body appears completely new and I canít imagine that it had ever been put on a car before as the hole for the locating pin needed to be just a fraction larger .

In the photo the pin has to go into the smaller of the two holes and it would not , even when I tried to force it in by tightening the bolts .
But Iím happy as it starts lightening fast , I hope it lasts in my E53 .
Attached Images
 
__________________
X5 E70 3.0d M-Sport , 2010 Titan Silver , ZF 6HP28, 320hp.

X5 E53 3.0d Sport, 2006 LeMans Blue, ZF 6HP26, diesel .
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
e53, fuel pressure, intermittent, m57, starting

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:38 PM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
© 2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.