Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Fluid Motor Union
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 03-02-2023, 12:50 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Saskatchewan Canada
Posts: 1,648
80stech is on a distinguished road
The rubber seals that seal the rad core to the tanks can sometimes only leak for a period after the car is shut down. While hot the seals are good, when cold the cooling system is under vacuum, but in between there can be a leak.
__________________
1988 325is (purchased new) sold
2004 X5 3.0 2005 X3 2.5
2008 X5 3.0 (new to me)
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #12  
Old 03-04-2023, 01:43 PM
dkl's Avatar
dkl dkl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Southern Cal
Posts: 2,938
dkl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80stech View Post
The rubber seals that seal the rad core to the tanks can sometimes only leak for a period after the car is shut down. While hot the seals are good, when cold the cooling system is under vacuum, but in between there can be a leak.

Darn it...I may have this problem. I will only find a puddle under the car (under the expansion tank/coolant cap area) after parked overnight...sometimes. I don't see it all the time and don't see it after it's parked a day at work. The expansion tank is relatively new (maybe 3 years, less than 5k miles) and the radiator is about 1 year old. Could it also be a bad aux fan not running after shutting the car off to cool the radiator further, thus causing a slight overheat and dumps the coolant out the cap? May just drop it off at my indy and let him figure it out
__________________
2004 X5 3.0i
Born 02/04
Delivered 03/04
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-04-2023, 03:23 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 866
Bdc101 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkl View Post
Could it also be a bad aux fan not running after shutting the car off to cool the radiator further, thus causing a slight overheat and dumps the coolant out the cap? May just drop it off at my indy and let him figure it out
I think this would only happen if your overflow tank was full. It should flow out of the radiator cap and into the overflow tank, so that it can be sucked back into the radiator when the engine cools off.
__________________
2003 3.0 5MT
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-05-2023, 01:49 PM
dkl's Avatar
dkl dkl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Southern Cal
Posts: 2,938
dkl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdc101 View Post
I think this would only happen if your overflow tank was full. It should flow out of the radiator cap and into the overflow tank, so that it can be sucked back into the radiator when the engine cools off.

Thanks. I may need a bit more investigating. I've only seen a puddle underneath the car a couple of times in the past 3 weeks. This started happening after I had topped up the expansion tank about a month ago. My question is if the overflow tank was full from me topping up, why didn't it flow back out of the cap immediately afterwards of my initial drives? Why am I only seeing the puddles at 2 random times over a month after parking it overnight The random nature is why I thought it may be a bad aux fan.

Just checked the level again yesterday and it's back down to the same level as before I started adding coolant to it about a month ago. Also, I've noticed some evidence that coolant is leaving the cap...so that may be encouraging of a simple or no solution needed I've cleaned up the area around the cap of coolant residue and will need to continue monitoring it
__________________
2004 X5 3.0i
Born 02/04
Delivered 03/04
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-06-2023, 08:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Michigan
Posts: 386
ahlem is on a distinguished road
Try a pressure test of your cooling system. Marginally failing parts can be very frustrating to find but a pressure test will help stress them a bit. In my case it was the plastic hoses behind the oil filter housing on the side of the motor had distorted O rings. Does your heater work OK?
__________________
2001 x5 3.0, 1990 e30 M3, 1991 318is, 2002 325i, 2008 335i Dinan stage 3 6 speed,
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-07-2023, 01:09 AM
dkl's Avatar
dkl dkl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Southern Cal
Posts: 2,938
dkl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahlem View Post
Try a pressure test of your cooling system. Marginally failing parts can be very frustrating to find but a pressure test will help stress them a bit. In my case it was the plastic hoses behind the oil filter housing on the side of the motor had distorted O rings. Does your heater work OK?

Yes, the heater work...if this was directed toward me? I'm planning on letting my indy do a pressure test if the issue persist. Right now, the coolant level stick indicator is just sitting below the neck of the expansion tank. If it remains there without further coolant loss, then I'll just chuck it up as "that's where my expansion tank cap likes to be at".

OP - sorry for the thread jack. Please keep us updated with what you find with your issue? Thanks.
__________________
2004 X5 3.0i
Born 02/04
Delivered 03/04
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-07-2023, 07:54 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,064
X5chemist is on a distinguished road
Bentley manual says to pump it to 17 PSI. It should hold for 2 minutes. Pressure runs higher when hot. However testing says lower when you can open the tank and it's cooler.
__________________
'06 X5 3.0i - bought @143,123 miles (12/26/20)
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-07-2023, 03:16 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Murrieta, CA
Posts: 509
jdstrickland is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80stech View Post
The rubber seals that seal the rad core to the tanks can sometimes only leak for a period after the car is shut down. While hot the seals are good, when cold the cooling system is under vacuum, but in between there can be a leak.


THAT makes sense. It's difficult to prove, but I get it.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-07-2023, 03:22 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Murrieta, CA
Posts: 509
jdstrickland is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkl View Post
Darn it...I may have this problem. I will only find a puddle under the car (under the expansion tank/coolant cap area) after parked overnight...sometimes. I don't see it all the time and don't see it after it's parked a day at work. The expansion tank is relatively new (maybe 3 years, less than 5k miles) and the radiator is about 1 year old. Could it also be a bad aux fan not running after shutting the car off to cool the radiator further, thus causing a slight overheat and dumps the coolant out the cap? May just drop it off at my indy and let him figure it out


The aux fan is used in conjunction with the AC, there is also an aux pump that helps keep the cabin warm if you shut the engine off is a place such as the drive-thru lane.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-07-2023, 04:21 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Menlo Park, CA
Posts: 2,183
Fifty150hs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5chemist View Post
Bentley manual says to pump it to 17 PSI. It should hold for 2 minutes. Pressure runs higher when hot. However testing says lower when you can open the tank and it's cooler.
That's interesting as that is only 1 Bar and the cap is supposed to hold up to 2 Bar. One of the reasons some think the M54 cooling systems like to self destruct.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:54 PM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.