Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Arnott
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 10-11-2021, 02:50 PM
crystalworks's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SA, TX
Posts: 5,791
crystalworks is on a distinguished road
If you buy a component set, it will come with passive crossovers. Just hook them up per the instructions. Pioneer diagram below.

__________________
2005 X5 4.4i Build 04/05 Maintenance/Build Log
Nav, Pano, Sport (Purchased 06/14 w/ 109,000 miles) (Sold 8/15 w/121,000 miles)


2006 X5 4.8is Build 11/05 Maintenance/Build Log
Nav, DSP, Pano, Running Boards, OEM Tow Hitch, Cold Weather Pckg (Purchased 08/15 w/ 90,500 miles)

2010 X5 35d Build 02/10
Nav, HiFi, 6 DVD, Sports Pckg, Cold Weather Pckg, HUD, CAS, Running Boards, Leather Dash, PDC, Pano (Purchased 03/17 w/ 136,120 miles)
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #82  
Old 10-11-2021, 02:56 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: BiH
Posts: 62
daki50 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalworks View Post
If you buy a component set, it will come with passive crossovers. Just hook them up per the instructions. Pioneer diagram below.


Yes, I meant those crossovers. I wonder how they connect, the left side of the speaker connects to one crossover and the right to the other or does it all connect separately (front left to one rear left to another, front right to one and rear right to another)? How many crossovers do I need


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 10-11-2021, 03:22 PM
crystalworks's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SA, TX
Posts: 5,791
crystalworks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by daki50 View Post
Yes, I meant those crossovers. I wonder how they connect, the left side of the speaker connects to one crossover and the right to the other or does it all connect separately (front left to one rear left to another, front right to one and rear right to another)? How many crossovers do I need.
Sounds like you should do some reading on audio forums as an intro before purchasing. This can get be complicated, or very simple.

A simple way is to buy component speaker pairs. They will come with 2 woofers, 2 tweeters, and 2 crossovers. Left front woofer and tweeter will connect to one crossover, which then has an amplifier output. The other side will have its own crossover. So, generally speaking... each door will have a crossover for its pair of speakers. Generally.
__________________
2005 X5 4.4i Build 04/05 Maintenance/Build Log
Nav, Pano, Sport (Purchased 06/14 w/ 109,000 miles) (Sold 8/15 w/121,000 miles)


2006 X5 4.8is Build 11/05 Maintenance/Build Log
Nav, DSP, Pano, Running Boards, OEM Tow Hitch, Cold Weather Pckg (Purchased 08/15 w/ 90,500 miles)

2010 X5 35d Build 02/10
Nav, HiFi, 6 DVD, Sports Pckg, Cold Weather Pckg, HUD, CAS, Running Boards, Leather Dash, PDC, Pano (Purchased 03/17 w/ 136,120 miles)
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 10-12-2021, 01:59 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: BiH
Posts: 62
daki50 is on a distinguished road
I was thinking of these crossovers with 6 inputs and 2 outputs but I found on the internet how they connect. Did you install the speakers under the seat like the new BMW models have, will that contribute to the sound system?



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 10-12-2021, 02:16 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 83
nick325xit 5spd is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by daki50 View Post
I was thinking of these crossovers with 6 inputs and 2 outputs but I found on the internet how they connect. Did you install the speakers under the seat like the new BMW models have, will that contribute to the sound system?



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The short answer is that BMW's modern 3-way system is quite nice.

Why? Because you can install a robust midbass woofer and take a lot of stress off of the midrange driver. A 4-5" driver is generally going to do a lot better for the vocal ranges and is more able to meet the tweeter at the crossover frequencies that it will want. It also lets you take some of the upper range off of the subwoofer.

My crossover points in my E90 M3 are roughly 4500-200-60. With a 2-way setup, you generally end up at crossing the mid to tweeter at 3500, and the subwoofer comes up to 80 (or higher if your mid just can't get there).

That said, getting a driver under the seat requires space that may not really exist in the E53.
__________________
2011 M3
2006 Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
2004 X5 3.0i 6MT
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo


Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 10-12-2021, 02:47 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: BiH
Posts: 62
daki50 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick325xit 5spd View Post
The short answer is that BMW's modern 3-way system is quite nice.

Why? Because you can install a robust midbass woofer and take a lot of stress off of the midrange driver. A 4-5" driver is generally going to do a lot better for the vocal ranges and is more able to meet the tweeter at the crossover frequencies that it will want. It also lets you take some of the upper range off of the subwoofer.

My crossover points in my E90 M3 are roughly 4500-200-60. With a 2-way setup, you generally end up at crossing the mid to tweeter at 3500, and the subwoofer comes up to 80 (or higher if your mid just can't get there).

That said, getting a driver under the seat requires space that may not really exist in the E53.

to which connector in the crossover the speaker under the seat connects if I were to install it


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 10-12-2021, 03:01 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 83
nick325xit 5spd is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by daki50 View Post
to which connector in the crossover the speaker under the seat connects if I were to install it


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The crossovers are clearly labeled.
__________________
2011 M3
2006 Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
2004 X5 3.0i 6MT
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo


Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:41 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.