Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E70) Forum
Arnott
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-23-2016, 01:10 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston
Posts: 260
lordshin808 is on a distinguished road
Auto Hold Retrofit

My 2007 4.8i didn't come with the Auto Hold feature so when my Parking Brake Switch broke, I replaced the switch with the upgraded one P/N 61319148508.

It was a direct swap. Auto Hold works perfectly and no coding was needed. Completely plug and play.
Attached Images
   
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 02-23-2016, 02:38 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Chwk
Posts: 145
Mr.X5_3.0si-retired is on a distinguished road
probably a silly question but would this work for a 3.0si as well.. i didn't even know of the hold button.. what does it do? how much did the part cost??
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-23-2016, 05:13 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston
Posts: 260
lordshin808 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.X5_3.0si View Post
probably a silly question but would this work for a 3.0si as well.. i didn't even know of the hold button.. what does it do? how much did the part cost??
My guess is that it will work for 3.0si, but don't hold me to it. I suggest you look really carefully into your instrument cluster and see if there is the word Auto H in the background. It was there on my cluster and the new switch just activates the light when engaged.

The new switch was $55 at FCP Euro.

see this thread for auto hold info.
http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...auto-hold.html
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-23-2016, 10:42 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 397
absentmathis is on a distinguished road
That's one hell of an easy retrofit. But I wouldn't use autohold. Mine came with it and I used it probably three whole times. Eventually the parking brake actuator failed from normal use (of course it would, the lever and cable were flawless for a 100 years) and it's an expensive part. No way would I put the additional wear on it using that feature.

I did get the actuator rebuilt and it arrived home today. I'll report back in my original thread once I've reinstalled.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-23-2016, 11:02 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: on the edge of existence
Posts: 1,384
blue dragon will become famous soon enough
Auto hold does not use the parking brake it uses the regular brakes.
__________________


| '17 F15 X5 35D - Work horse | '17 F48 X1 MSport Daughter's daily | '22 Tesla MY LR Wife's Daily | '09 E70 X5 35D - Out to pasture |
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-24-2016, 08:54 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Lake Forest, IL
Posts: 417
bmrboi2 is on a distinguished road
I use the auto hold feature like crazy. Its a great feature. I find myself being tripped up when I drive vehicles without it though. I thought the auto hold used the regular brakes and not the parking brake.

To Mr X5 3.0si

The auto hold feature holds the vehicle in place when you come to a stop at a light. It keeps the vehicle in place and allows you to remove your foot from the brake pedal and the vehicle stays stopped until you press the accelerator. It's a silly feature but you become very used to it very quickly. I have found that if you shuffle around in the drivers seat and the sensor detects it, the car will go into park and the parking brake will engage.
__________________
2010 X5 3.0 X-drive Titanium Silver/Black
2018 Ford F-150 Platinum Crew
2010 528xi (His)
2017 M2 Manual (His)

Former Headaches:
2008 X5 RIP
2015 M235
2013 135is
2009 535xi Wagon (JUNK)
2007 530xi 6spd CPO Sport (Best Damn Car EVER)
2011 335xi M-sport Coupe 6spd (Sex on Wheels)
2010 550GT "CPO" (Junk)
2012 X5 35d "CPO" (More Junk)
2004 330i ZHP Sedan
2002 325xi Wagon
2000 323i Sedan
1998 M3 Sedan
1992 325i Sedan
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-24-2016, 09:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 397
absentmathis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
Auto hold does not use the parking brake it uses the regular brakes.
You may be right. I see other people saying that as well. Wonder why removing the parking brake actuator deactivates autohold?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-24-2016, 10:30 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: on the edge of existence
Posts: 1,384
blue dragon will become famous soon enough
The failsafe for autohold is to engage the parking brake. Without that actuator to act as a fail safe.....
__________________


| '17 F15 X5 35D - Work horse | '17 F48 X1 MSport Daughter's daily | '22 Tesla MY LR Wife's Daily | '09 E70 X5 35D - Out to pasture |
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-25-2016, 11:28 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston
Posts: 260
lordshin808 is on a distinguished road
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by absentmathis View Post
That's one hell of an easy retrofit. But I wouldn't use autohold. Mine came with it and I used it probably three whole times. Eventually the parking brake actuator failed from normal use (of course it would, the lever and cable were flawless for a 100 years) and it's an expensive part. No way would I put the additional wear on it using that feature.

I did get the actuator rebuilt and it arrived home today. I'll report back in my original thread once I've reinstalled.
Maybe doing this retrofit and using Auto Hold wasn't such a great idea after all. It was working great for a couple of days and all of a sudden I "PARKING BRAKE MALFUNCTION" while driving to work this morning. The orange Park light is ON.

I'm in Houston and the land around here is flat as a pancake so I never even use the Electronic Parking Brake. The switch actually broke 2 years ago and I just left it like that until now. I thought I try out this Auto Hold feature, but didn't expect it will cause the "PARKING BRAKE MALFUNCTION" just after couple days of using it.

Last edited by lordshin808; 02-25-2016 at 11:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-25-2016, 09:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 397
absentmathis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordshin808 View Post
Maybe doing this retrofit and using Auto Hold wasn't such a great idea after all. It was working great for a couple of days and all of a sudden I "PARKING BRAKE MALFUNCTION" while driving to work this morning. The orange Park light is ON.

I'm in Houston and the land around here is flat as a pancake so I never even use the Electronic Parking Brake. The switch actually broke 2 years ago and I just left it like that until now. I thought I try out this Auto Hold feature, but didn't expect it will cause the "PARKING BRAKE MALFUNCTION" just after couple days of using it.
Sorry to hear that. Apparently I was wrong about the parking brake serving as the hold mechanism, but the two are related. As I mentioned in one of these posts, I was able to get mine rebuilt for a much more palatable number than a new part. Some have reported wiring problems, but that wasn't the case for me.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:23 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.