Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E70) Forum
Fluid Motor Union
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-31-2019, 05:03 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Burlingame, CA
Posts: 9
isarkisov is on a distinguished road
Alignment

My 2009 X5 3.0i has uneven tire wear, outside part is wearing way faster than inside. Can't tell really if it's the front axle, rear, or both axles responsible for uneven tire wear (I rotate tires every 7-10k miles).

Took it for alignment (see printout attached), and now I feel like car is pulling to the right a bit. Not sure if it's just crown of our roads or my caster is out of wack (right side less than left).

What do you guys think about slight pull and excessive outside tire wear?
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 08-31-2019, 11:16 PM
ard ard is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sierra Foothills, California
Posts: 5,684
ard is on a distinguished road
read this thread: https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=668729


your toe on each wheel should be 0.01 to 0.02.


Your camber is seems aggressive. What size tires?



What tire pressure you running?


I know you will find the whole 'toe is the root of evil' thing hard to accept. People eventually do though, as you will read in that thread.



Caster cannot be changed, should not be your issue.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-01-2019, 12:14 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Burlingame, CA
Posts: 9
isarkisov is on a distinguished road
I actually asked mechanic to do 0.02 toe in all around, but he convinced me not to do it because it would be out of spec. I guess I shouldn't have listened to him and insisted on 0.02. My tires are so worn on the outside that I will most likely need to change them within next 5k miles, and most likely do alignment again.

I got sport package, so it's 255/50-19 all around. I used to run 32/35 psi (per door sticker), but now changed it to 34/35 psi, and do feel ride to be a bit harsher.

What's the best camber setting, why do you think it's too aggressive?

Also, I moved two most worn tires to the rear, but now since toe is 0.06 in the rear, not sure if that was the right move.

Last edited by isarkisov; 09-01-2019 at 01:04 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-01-2019, 02:25 PM
ard ard is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sierra Foothills, California
Posts: 5,684
ard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by isarkisov View Post
I actually asked mechanic to do 0.02 toe in all around, but he convinced me not to do it because it would be out of spec.

He is wrong, 0.04 IS NOT THE SPEC.


Quote:
Originally Posted by isarkisov View Post
I guess I shouldn't have listened to him and insisted on 0.02.
Yup


Quote:
Originally Posted by isarkisov View Post
My tires are so worn on the outside that I will most likely need to change them within next 5k miles, and most likely do alignment again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isarkisov View Post
I got sport package, so it's 255/50-19 all around. I used to run 32/35 psi (per door sticker), but now changed it to 34/35 psi, and do feel ride to be a bit harsher.

All I can thinks is with low pressure the sidewalls are 'rolling under' due to the toe in and you are getting outer edge wear. More pressure on the fronts should help. Do keep in mind that 'door jamb' numbers assume FULLY LOADED car. Do you drive if fully loaded? If only 1-2 people, inflate the tires to match. I actually will run more air up front for a big diesel with a 105lb driver. 36/34.




Quote:
Originally Posted by isarkisov View Post
What's the best camber setting, why do you think it's too aggressive?
Its not horribly aggressive, but usually you see the front neutral and some camber at the back. You are past 50% front and rear. Not the end of the world,





Quote:
Originally Posted by isarkisov View Post
Also, I moved two most worn tires to the rear, but now since toe is 0.06 in the rear, not sure if that was the right move.

If it rains where you are, just beware this can lead to hydroplane-induced oversteer. (all things being equal, when you begin to hydroplane, the rears- with less tread- may release first.) Just keep it in mind

Last edited by ard; 09-02-2019 at 12:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-01-2019, 02:45 PM
ard ard is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sierra Foothills, California
Posts: 5,684
ard is on a distinguished road
lol
burlingame. Same has here. a month or two before the rain....
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-02-2019, 06:53 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: DE
Posts: 174
pshovest is on a distinguished road
Your outside wear problem was most likely due to the excessive .09" toe-in and the low inflation pressure. Check the tire sidewall for the max allowed inflation pressure. Then pump the front tires to 40 psi. This is what I run and it will reduce the edge wear. If tires don't have an "outside" marking, dismount and remount with worn edge inside.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-03-2019, 12:10 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Burlingame, CA
Posts: 9
isarkisov is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
lol
burlingame. Same has here. a month or two before the rain....
Yep, hoping to get decent amount of rain this season, you know how it is here , you never know... I also go skiing at Tahoe, so I might have to change tires this winter if we get a lot of snow.

I will go with 35 psi all around and see how that goes. I occasionally tow wake boat, do you recommend increasing tire pressure when towing?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-03-2019, 12:15 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Burlingame, CA
Posts: 9
isarkisov is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshovest View Post
Your outside wear problem was most likely due to the excessive .09" toe-in and the low inflation pressure. Check the tire sidewall for the max allowed inflation pressure. Then pump the front tires to 40 psi. This is what I run and it will reduce the edge wear. If tires don't have an "outside" marking, dismount and remount with worn edge inside.
Just checked my tires, looks like 40 PSI is the max pressure and there is "outside" marking.


Don't you think 40 PSI in front would be too much causing very harsh ride and hard on suspension?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-03-2019, 12:50 AM
ard ard is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sierra Foothills, California
Posts: 5,684
ard is on a distinguished road
Personally I dont think you need to max out in one step.




If you want to 'save' the current tires for as long as possible, sure- maybe go to 40 and try and have them basically riding on the center of the tread...


But if you fix the alignmnet, get down to 0.01-0.02...then 36 is prolly fine.


dont worry about 'harsh on the suspension'... it is taking an absolute BEATING with everyday use. Will it feel harsher? yes. you wont really notice it in a few weeks.



oh, do you know about www.newtis.info? They have specs there. Although BMW used to include 0.00 as 'in spec', I think it now has 0.02 front as the min (and 0,00 rear as before)

GL
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-05-2019, 07:00 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: DE
Posts: 174
pshovest is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by isarkisov View Post
Just checked my tires, looks like 40 PSI is the max pressure and there is "outside" marking.

Don't you think 40 PSI in front would be too much causing very harsh ride and hard on suspension?
Not at all. It all depends on how badly you want to avoid buying new tires.
I'm surprised your max inflation pressure is only 40 psi. What type of tires are these? My Goodyear LS2 runflats need 50psi to get the advertised load rating. My non-runflats on other Bimmers are in the mid 40's. I run fronts at 40 and rears at 36 on the X5. Outside edge wear has all but disappeared.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:21 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.