Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E70) Forum
Fluid Motor Union
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-04-2019, 02:46 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: St. Louis MO
Posts: 34
Ralphhall is on a distinguished road
Tire wear

I posted this on Bimmerfest, so maybe a duplicate...appoligies if so.
My outer edge of front tires is 90% gone. Tires were on car when I bought, so I do not know how previous driver drove the car. There is 5/16-6/16 tread in the middle, so much life left on tire. I was told due to stiff suspension, this is going to happen. This is a 2012 X5 5.0 with Sport Activity package and staggered wheels/tires. Any suggestions. Iíve ordered new front and will have an alignment.
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 11-04-2019, 08:33 PM
ard ard is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sierra Foothills, California
Posts: 6,035
ard is on a distinguished road
DO NOT use a BMW dealer for alignment.


I saw a blowhardy comment about how 'only BMW dealers know how to align BMWs'. Nothing is further from the truth.


I started a thread on alignments: https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=668729


If you go to a dealer they will set it mid spec, and tell you 'thats just the way BMWs are, its _______".... and in the blank, insert: stiff suspension; performance; racing history; handling; blah blah blah


Set your toe to 0.01 to 0.02 each wheel
Set camber to mid spec. You can tolerate a bit more camber up fron with the 50.


Set your inflation pressure up front a bit higher than the door- like 2psi more.


Thats it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-05-2019, 02:46 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Brooklyn, NYC, NY
Posts: 346
robnitro is on a distinguished road
Yep the inflation pressures manufacturers recommend are usually a few psi too low and leave the middle of the tread worn less than the sides.
On run flats its even worse because the sidewalls are harder so a higher pressure helps the middle get contact.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-05-2019, 11:54 AM
ard ard is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sierra Foothills, California
Posts: 6,035
ard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnitro View Post
Yep the inflation pressures manufacturers recommend are usually a few psi too low and leave the middle of the tread worn less than the sides.
On run flats its even worse because the sidewalls are harder so a higher pressure helps the middle get contact.
And it is exacerbated with a big v8 up front, combined w smaller tires on the staggered set up...


you've got a ton of weight, plowing the tires around- with less pressure the sidewalls get rolled over and scrubbed to death.


IMO BMW sets pressure a bit low to give a nice soft ride too. Not, as we are often told, 'because BMW engineers hold performance above everything else'



Last edited by ard; 11-05-2019 at 01:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-09-2019, 10:30 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 172
Baby Unicorn Taco is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
And it is exacerbated with a big v8 up front, combined w smaller tires on the staggered set up...


you've got a ton of weight, plowing the tires around- with less pressure the sidewalls get rolled over and scrubbed to death.


IMO BMW sets pressure a bit low to give a nice soft ride too. Not, as we are often told, 'because BMW engineers hold performance above everything else'




I agree with the replies above. Inflate a few psi above what the door states. Also check you tire manufacture dates stamped on the side. Older tires will wear faster. BMW specs on alignments are awful. Read ardís thread. Request specific specs.


Sent from my iPhone using Xoutpost.com
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-14-2019, 05:03 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 176
heatmizr is on a distinguished road
+1
Stock specs are way too much toe-in.
I got an indie shop to set me alignment CLOSER to what ard posted (though not as close as I would have liked) and it did help on my new set of tires. Still an issue though, so I also raised the tire pressures ~3 lb to try to extend their life.

With your issue, I only got 12k miles (!) on my first set of tires before the fronts were alarmingly bald on the outer edges. For $1200 tires, that is a hundred dollars per 1k miles!
__________________
2012 e70 X5 50i MSport "The Boss" black on black *Well Optioned*
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-14-2019, 09:31 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 109
Cyrix2k is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatmizr View Post
+1
Stock specs are way too much toe-in.
I got an indie shop to set me alignment CLOSER to what ard posted (though not as close as I would have liked) and it did help on my new set of tires. Still an issue though, so I also raised the tire pressures ~3 lb to try to extend their life.

With your issue, I only got 12k miles (!) on my first set of tires before the fronts were alarmingly bald on the outer edges. For $1200 tires, that is a hundred dollars per 1k miles!
My guess is that the factory allows for some dynamic toe-out at high speeds that are never realized on American roads. That said, at least on my dad's 30i, the tires seem to wear relatively well. His eat the inside of the rears which is normal for BMWs.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-17-2019, 09:30 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: New England
Posts: 688
josiahg52 is on a distinguished road
I just replaced a set of tires with almost 70k miles on them. They wore dead even across the tread. I can get over 40k on a set of UHP summer tires on my M5. Abnormal or excessive tire wear is not "normal" for BMWs or any other vehicles. Abnormal or excessive tire wear is a result of misalignment due to ignorance, a specific desire or a broken/worn suspension component. Learn what your alignment numbers mean and how they contribute to tire wear and actual vehicle handling and keep up on your vehicle maintenance.
__________________
8/2011 X5 xDrive35d Sport, Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Fine Burr Walnut Trim
2/2001 M5, Jet Black, Exclusive Complete Black Walk Nappa Point Heritage Leather, Black Cubic Trim
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-17-2019, 10:24 PM
ard ard is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sierra Foothills, California
Posts: 6,035
ard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrix2k View Post
My guess is that the factory allows for some dynamic toe-out at high speeds that are never realized on American roads. That said, at least on my dad's 30i, the tires seem to wear relatively well. His eat the inside of the rears which is normal for BMWs.

IMO, no


The myth of german autobahn driving is just that. Spend some time there, over the course of a cars life, they are driven very much like in the USA



I know it is disturbing to find that BMW engineers just F-ed it up for no good reason other than being lazy. It is comforting to think "oh, those perfect germans on the autobahns- we dont drive like them so its really our fault'. We see this with a lot of BMW issues- the oft-repeated "its because they desiged it for xyz" (German fuel, german roads, german drivers)....





My "spec" is actually WITHIN the BMWs very wide and sloppy spec. So for those that feel compelled to follow the factory, you can! Just put it on the very edge.


wonder what OP did.... $100 he went to a shop and they convinced him to do what they wanted.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-18-2019, 11:09 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 12
TroubledGnome is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
IMO, no

wonder what OP did.... $100 he went to a shop and they convinced him to do what they wanted.
Hopefully not.

I've gotten to nearly 170k now on new 4th set of tires by using these guidelines and rotating at each oil change.

I was kind of surprised that I received no push back when the the VW dealership called me about aligning my wife's Passat last month and I asked for the same specs. They did exactly as I asked.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:43 PM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
© 2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.