Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E70) Forum
Fluid Motor Union
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-23-2011, 07:49 PM
JS_4.8's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 206
JS_4.8 is on a distinguished road
Help with winter wheel/tire setup

Haven't been here in a while, but wanted to see what you guys are doing for your winter wheel/tire setups.

Currently have a 2012 Xdrive 35i SAV with the stock 214s and runflat tires. Being in NJ, I definitely need a completely different set of wheels/tires for the winter.

A few weeks ago, I asked the dealer what they recommend, and the guy in parts said they wont have any new packages until October. Does anyone have any idea what the current OEM winter wheel packages are? Hoping to go with a 19inch wheel if possible.

Thanks in advance for any input!
__________________
2005 X5 4.8is
Sapphire Black / Black
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 09-23-2011, 08:52 PM
Denalio's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,331
Denalio is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS_4.8 View Post
Haven't been here in a while, but wanted to see what you guys are doing for your winter wheel/tire setups.

Currently have a 2012 Xdrive 35i SAV with the stock 214s and runflat tires. Being in NJ, I definitely need a completely different set of wheels/tires for the winter.

A few weeks ago, I asked the dealer what they recommend, and the guy in parts said they wont have any new packages until October. Does anyone have any idea what the current OEM winter wheel packages are? Hoping to go with a 19inch wheel if possible.

Thanks in advance for any input!
Here is the Canadian package. probably not much different from the USA offerings.

BMW X5 Cold Weather Tire Package - V Spoke 223M M Sport Edition | BMW Canada
__________________
2013 BMW X6M-current
2013 Audi S4-current
2007 BMW X5 4.8i (E70)-sold
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-23-2011, 09:17 PM
motordavid's Avatar
RetiredBum & Semi-RenaissanceMan
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mtns of Western NC, & SW FLA
Posts: 16,753
motordavid will become famous soon enoughmotordavid will become famous soon enough
Or, shop around on this Board, and other places, and cop a set of E70 wheels, (not as big as your 214s), and/or tire set.

Or...grab a set of slightly smaller/narrower replicas and stuff some non-RFT dedicated winter tires on the wheels. Winter driving is all about dedicated winter tires, (pick your brand), and usually on less tall/narrower wheels. Running down the GWN/CDA roads in winter is not about how cool your wheels look, imo...there are several ways to go with a winter set. Slap them on, and you will not regret it.

The dlr 'packages' will require a 2nd mort.
GL, mD
__________________
Ol'UncleMotor
From the Home Base of Pro Bono Punditry
and 50 Cent Opins...

Our Mtn Scenes, Car Pics, and Road Trip Pics on Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4527537...7627297418250/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4527537...7627332480833/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

My X Page




Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-23-2011, 09:32 PM
JS_4.8's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 206
JS_4.8 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denalio View Post
Here is the Canadian package. probably not much different from the USA offerings.

BMW X5 Cold Weather Tire Package - V Spoke 223M M Sport Edition | BMW Canada
that is a great looking package. i am gonna inquire at my dealer to see if its available in the US. dont see why not
__________________
2005 X5 4.8is
Sapphire Black / Black
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-23-2011, 09:35 PM
JS_4.8's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 206
JS_4.8 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
Or, shop around on this Board, and other places, and cop a set of E70 wheels, (not as big as your 214s), and/or tire set.

Or...grab a set of slightly smaller/narrower replicas and stuff some non-RFT dedicated winter tires on the wheels. Winter driving is all about dedicated winter tires, (pick your brand), and usually on less tall/narrower wheels. Running down the GWN/CDA roads in winter is not about how cool your wheels look, imo...there are several ways to go with a winter set. Slap them on, and you will not regret it.

The dlr 'packages' will require a 2nd mort.
GL, mD
a dealer package is nice assuming the price is not completely outrageous, so I need to see what I am working with.

the other option is to put my own set together. i definitely am going with a dedicated winter tire, no question there. i just am not sure which 18" or 19" wheels to go with.
__________________
2005 X5 4.8is
Sapphire Black / Black
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-24-2011, 12:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: vt /nj
Posts: 47
vtmikev is on a distinguished road
I just posted this on another person's thread....as I looked into winter options last year....
I bought from BMW Dealer 4 Style 214 20" X10" (FRONTS) for my x5d, and with this squared set up, the rears still look like they can use 25mm spacers and alittle bit funny with out them. Tires are NOKIAN Hakk's 275/40/20's. With 19's the X5 will look even worse with the black plastic fender flares...and using SPACERS may or may not be a pain every Spring when they get "corroded" /stuck on..
If I was going to do this again, I may buy just 2 new fronts & 2tpms for those wheels and mount these in the rear with the new snows while using my original front wheels with the orig TPMS in the front and just change the front tires every fall and spring.
In comparison, the wider snows are slightly worse than 18X8" 255/55 18" HAKsnow tires I used on my old VW TOUAREG.... Hope this helps....
I could post pictures after Thanksgiving or the first week in Dec.....

Last edited by vtmikev; 09-24-2011 at 12:19 PM. Reason: add info
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:08 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.