Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E70) Forum
Arnott
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-08-2013, 05:13 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 279
PAX5 is on a distinguished road
How do you tow an e70 that is disabled

Know all about towing a BMW on a flat bed, that's not the question.

Going on a 1,500 mi road trip ... Just in case, how do you get an e70 out of "Park" that is electrically completely disabled? Looked in the owners manual and could not find what to do in case of a complete electrical malfunction.
__________________
PAX5
BMW CCA #20645
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 09-08-2013, 07:42 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: DFW TX
Posts: 36
Thirdy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by basora View Post
Know all about towing a BMW on a flat bed, that's not the question.

Going on a 1,500 mi road trip ... Just in case, how do you get an e70 out of "Park" that is electrically completely disabled? Looked in the owners manual and could not find what to do in case of a complete electrical malfunction.
open cupholder by the shifter. Remove the liner and you can see a "hole" where you have to insert the red plastic key and turn to release transmission from park to neutral.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-08-2013, 08:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 279
PAX5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdy View Post
open cupholder by the shifter. Remove the liner and you can see a "hole" where you have to insert the red plastic key and turn to release transmission from park to neutral.
I did not know that ...! You mean the "red plastic T-shape" hammer in the trunk?
__________________
PAX5
BMW CCA #20645
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-08-2013, 08:54 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: DFW TX
Posts: 36
Thirdy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by basora View Post
I did not know that ...! You mean the "red plastic T-shape" hammer in the trunk?
yup

And that same key is also used to release the parking brake if it's engaged and you need to manually release it (leftside of trunk - you have to remove the side panel to access the key hole).
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-08-2013, 09:34 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 279
PAX5 is on a distinguished road
Cool ... thank you!
__________________
PAX5
BMW CCA #20645
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-09-2013, 09:25 AM
X-cellent's Avatar
Smithers, release the hounds!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 412
X-cellent is on a distinguished road
The instructions are in the manual (I can't remember where)...the trick is that if, say the battery dies, you cannot get the T handle out of the trunk (electric hatch) nor get the manual out of the glove box (electric door).....I made a copy of the pages from the manual and took the handle and put them in the door pocket on the drivers side in my '08 4.8 as I was having lot's of electrical issues....
__________________
Quote:
The journey is the destination....
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-09-2013, 09:48 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 268
Xtony is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-cellent View Post
The instructions are in the manual (I can't remember where)...the trick is that if, say the battery dies, you cannot get the T handle out of the trunk (electric hatch) nor get the manual out of the glove box (electric door).....I made a copy of the pages from the manual and took the handle and put them in the door pocket on the drivers side in my '08 4.8 as I was having lot's of electrical issues....
Is the glove box latch really electric? It sure feels mechanical. I put my transmission release key in there after my alternator failed and I couldn't get the hatch open. You should have seen me contorting myself over the back seat, lifting the floor cover up, and grabbing the key while holding a flashlight with my teeth.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-09-2013, 10:28 AM
X-cellent's Avatar
Smithers, release the hounds!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 412
X-cellent is on a distinguished road
My '08 was electric...ask me how I know.....it's the craziest thing I've ever seen...the tow truck driver wanted to drag my truck out of the parking spot and onto the flatbed and I knew there must be some way to release tranny and parking brake with a flat battery....hooked up jumper cables to open glove box (BMW had sent him so he was towing it even if I got it started).
__________________
Quote:
The journey is the destination....
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-09-2013, 11:42 AM
rh71's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: LI | NY
Posts: 3,921
rh71 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-cellent View Post
The instructions are in the manual (I can't remember where)...the trick is that if, say the battery dies, you cannot get the T handle out of the trunk (electric hatch) nor get the manual out of the glove box (electric door).....I made a copy of the pages from the manual and took the handle and put them in the door pocket on the drivers side in my '08 4.8 as I was having lot's of electrical issues....
good advice about moving the red handle tool - quite an oversight (or indifference) by BMW putting that stuff in the trunk area with an electric tailgate.
__________________
'08 X5 3.0si - Alpine White / Saddle Brown interior
Specs: Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Tech Pkg, Comfort Access, Aero Kit, Style 433 staggered 20s on Conti DWS
Mods: Carbon 35 tint, LED angel eyes, GP Thunder 7500k fogs, H&R 20mm/25mm spacers, clear reflectors, gunsmoke-tinted taillights
Coded: Digital speedo, windows/sunroof/tailgate close via keyfob

X5 pics at Flickr
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-09-2013, 01:42 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 268
Xtony is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
good advice about moving the red handle tool - quite an oversight (or indifference) by BMW putting that stuff in the trunk area with an electric tailgate.
After the incident, I did find that there is a manual release for the tailgate hidden under a plastic cover on the inside of the tailgate. Cover pops off and there is a plastic handle that you pull to open the tailgate from the inside.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:12 PM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.