Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E70) Forum
Arnott
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-13-2014, 01:30 AM
Vendor
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: 2170 Commerce Ave Suite Q, Concord, CA
Posts: 141
umnitza is on a distinguished road
well, we did it, but it wasn't easy - retrofit LED Orion V4



X5 2011 Diesel.

Orion V4 LED angel eyes retrofitted.
We left the old acrylic rings in there in case the customer wants to get the double angel eyes effect (which looks really cool) at a later date.
__________________
Join Our FaceBook
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 06-13-2014, 06:27 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: on the edge of existence
Posts: 1,324
blue dragon will become famous soon enough
Post pictures of the headlight resealed, lets see how good a job you guys did with the butyl sealant. The front light covers do not come off like the old E46, so I am assuming you have to put the X5 headlights in oven or heat them up to remove the covers
__________________


| '09 E70 X5 35D - Work horse | '17 F48 X1 MSport - Wife's daily | '17 F30 340i MSport - My daily |
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-13-2014, 09:48 AM
bawareca's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 976
bawareca is on a distinguished road
Looks nice OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
Post pictures of the headlight resealed, lets see how good a job you guys did with the butyl sealant. The front light covers do not come off like the old E46, so I am assuming you have to put the X5 headlights in oven or heat them up to remove the covers
But I have tried and at ~300F the plastic starts to melt and the lens doen not come off.Umnitza guys must have some special technology
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-13-2014, 12:51 PM
Vendor
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: 2170 Commerce Ave Suite Q, Concord, CA
Posts: 141
umnitza is on a distinguished road
We cut the light open, then removed the sealant, then used 3 levels of sealant - Koito, a LiquidNails adhesive, then topped it off with a GE Silicon II black.

You cannot heat them up to the level you need to without destroying the headlight, this is the better way.

Ran it through the car wash yesterday before giving it back to the customer, no issues.
__________________
Join Our FaceBook
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-13-2014, 01:04 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 79
Z@T is on a distinguished road
Good job! Looks good!

Since I bought new headlights for my Z4, I have old set laying around.
Want to try if I can open them too as a weekend project.
Plan is to add some AE's and custom the turn signals.... some when.

It just looks like a mayor PITA to do that. So far I haven't had the drive to start.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-13-2014, 01:06 PM
bawareca's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 976
bawareca is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by umnitza View Post
We cut the light open, then removed the sealant, then used 3 levels of sealant - Koito, a LiquidNails adhesive, then topped it off with a GE Silicon II black.

You cannot heat them up to the level you need to without destroying the headlight, this is the better way.

Ran it through the car wash yesterday before giving it back to the customer, no issues.
I knew that is the only way.I am sure it is pretty well sealed with the HQ materials that you used.I have 2 flooded pre-facelift lights sitting on the shelf,let me know if you are interested to buy them for parts.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-14-2014, 02:25 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 264
Jyohay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by umnitza View Post


X5 2011 Diesel.

Orion V4 LED angel eyes retrofitted.
We left the old acrylic rings in there in case the customer wants to get the double angel eyes effect (which looks really cool) at a later date.
So did you use a smaller ring than you would have if you were to cut out the oem rings? Also, to get the headlights out, Is it just a through the fender liner job or do you need to remove the bumper and/or fenders completely.
Had these on my e93 but used Tom in NY who does core swaps so I had no down time like I would with the x5
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-14-2014, 02:47 AM
Vendor
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: 2170 Commerce Ave Suite Q, Concord, CA
Posts: 141
umnitza is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyohay View Post
So did you use a smaller ring than you would have if you were to cut out the oem rings? Also, to get the headlights out, Is it just a through the fender liner job or do you need to remove the bumper and/or fenders completely.
Had these on my e93 but used Tom in NY who does core swaps so I had no down time like I would with the x5
hardest install we've ever done.
in coordination with our local body shop guys - Federal Auto Body - they removed the fenderbumper - yes, I said fenderbumper. Apparently, BMW's infinite wisdom for the X5 was to make the fenders and the bumper one plastic painted piece that requires the side skirts to be removed as well as the fender liners, wheels, and a few underbody panels.

after that, the hard part only began.

The ring for the high beam is smaller than it should have been, the customer had a deadline/timeline that had to be met and our larger rings were in production @ end of June this year, so it was decided to use the smaller ring and allow for a potential double ring if he wants it using his existing rings as a 3D look later on if he decides it.
__________________
Join Our FaceBook
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-14-2014, 07:48 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: on the edge of existence
Posts: 1,324
blue dragon will become famous soon enough
No need to remove the front bumper or fenders. I installed LCI headlights by removing the fender liner and the headlights support brackets. Even that is a major PITA
__________________


| '09 E70 X5 35D - Work horse | '17 F48 X1 MSport - Wife's daily | '17 F30 340i MSport - My daily |
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-24-2014, 05:40 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NY
Posts: 12
mujjuman is on a distinguished road
Wow looks cool. Great work. I wouldn't attempt this on my own lol. I wish you took a pic with the double rings hahaha
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:55 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.