Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E70) Forum
Fluid Motor Union
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-03-2014, 12:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eart
Posts: 85
e70msportmia is on a distinguished road
M3 steering wheel on E70

Hello fellas!

Wanted to know if you could install an e90/e92 M3 steering wheel on an X5 e70. Is the wiring the same? Would it be PNP? I assume that the circumference would probably be smaller.

Any thoughts?

I have done some preliminary research and it seems like the actual steering wheel would be a PNP, I am just curious as too the circumference and the multifunction buttons.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 10-04-2014, 09:25 AM
suss1173's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Nassau County, NY
Posts: 39
suss1173 is on a distinguished road
I dont know about the e90-92 wheel being PNP. However people have tryed to make the wheel from a e70 M work.

If I can find the post I read about it, I will put them in. Otherwise google is your friend.

Last edited by suss1173; 10-04-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-04-2014, 10:43 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Seattle
Posts: 52
jiggz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss1173 View Post
I dont know about the e90-92 wheel being PNP. However people have tryed to make the wheel from a e70 M work.

If I can find the post I read about it, I will put them in. Otherwise google is your friend.
The E70 X5M wheel will definitely work on a non-M E70 - I swapped out my M Sport wheel (w/ no paddles) for an X5M steering wheel. 5 minute job, all buttons and paddles work.

With that said, from everything I've read the paddles will only work on LCI gas models with Sport or M Sport.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-04-2014, 12:44 PM
ART-qitec's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 103
ART-qitec is on a distinguished road
Do you have a heated steering wheel? E9x M3 steering wheels are not wired for heating.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-04-2014, 10:51 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 264
Jyohay is on a distinguished road
Yes he m3 wheel would work but you would need a new airbag. For cheaper you can get the e70 performance wheel which is nicer IMO
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-05-2014, 12:38 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Seattle
Posts: 52
jiggz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyohay View Post
Yes he m3 wheel would work but you would need a new airbag. For cheaper you can get the e70 performance wheel which is nicer IMO
You don't even know what airbag OP has…he might have the right airbag. And no, the E70 performance wheel is not cheaper
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-07-2014, 10:38 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eart
Posts: 85
e70msportmia is on a distinguished road
Hi fellas,
I am actually pulling the trigger and I am going to venture into this mod. I just ordered the multifunction buttons and see if they work...

I am assuming if this is PNP then this mod is good to go, if not then I will have to find another route.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-07-2014, 11:41 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Seattle
Posts: 52
jiggz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by e70msportmia View Post
Hi fellas,
I am actually pulling the trigger and I am going to venture into this mod. I just ordered the multifunction buttons and see if they work...

I am assuming if this is PNP then this mod is good to go, if not then I will have to find another route.
Good luck - let us know how it goes.

Does your X5 have the Sport Activity Package? If not, I don't know if those paddles will work. I read some threads where owners purchased the M Sport or X5M steering wheel and said the paddles didn't work - I seem to recall they had either the diesel and/or gas model w/o Sport/M Sport. Hopefully you have better success
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-07-2014, 12:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eart
Posts: 85
e70msportmia is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
Good luck - let us know how it goes.

Does your X5 have the Sport Activity Package? If not, I don't know if those paddles will work. I read some threads where owners purchased the M Sport or X5M steering wheel and said the paddles didn't work - I seem to recall they had either the diesel and/or gas model w/o Sport/M Sport. Hopefully you have better success
Well I am going into this for the steering wheel its self, not the paddles. I do not have msport or diesel or 50i so I know its NOT going to work without a major wiring mod...

I just really can not stand the standard steering wheel...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-07-2014, 12:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Seattle
Posts: 52
jiggz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by e70msportmia View Post
Well I am going into this for the steering wheel its self, not the paddles. I do not have msport or diesel or 50i so I know its NOT going to work without a major wiring mod...

I just really can not stand the standard steering wheel...
Gotcha. Yes the steering wheel feel itself will be a nice upgrade.

So are you just purchasing a 6MT E9x M3 wheel then, since you don't care about the paddles?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:57 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
© 2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.