Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E70) Forum
Arnott
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-12-2014, 09:21 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 257
cravin is on a distinguished road
To flush or not to flush

My '08 e70 is approaching 100k miles (75k of which are mine). It doesn't get driven too hard, no hauling, etc.

Wondering if there is more risk than reward in flushing the transmission fluid and replacing with clean. I've seen multiple notes on BF saying not to touch it because you'll release all the goop and possibly damage the transmission, and others saying "if it's a power flush, you should be fine". The x5 is acting fine, but wondering all the same.
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 12-12-2014, 10:42 AM
neilrmp's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 357
neilrmp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cravin View Post
My '08 e70 is approaching 100k miles (75k of which are mine). It doesn't get driven too hard, no hauling, etc.

Wondering if there is more risk than reward in flushing the transmission fluid and replacing with clean. I've seen multiple notes on BF saying not to touch it because you'll release all the goop and possibly damage the transmission, and others saying "if it's a power flush, you should be fine". The x5 is acting fine, but wondering all the same.
I have a 2008 x5 4.8i at 88k miles, and I am going to change the oil and filter soon, I think it is better because you are getting rid of all the gonk in the pan and filter and replacing most of the oil in there with fresh oil, i did it on my last BMW and it worked better, but that is my experience, after all most transmission lifttime oil means 100k mile.
__________________
We never have problems, we always need solutions
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-12-2014, 10:52 AM
bawareca's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 976
bawareca is on a distinguished road
It can go either way,there is a risk involved.It is not unheard of shifting problems after fluid change.I would say less likely under 60-70 k miles and more likely after 100 k miles.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-12-2014, 10:59 AM
neilrmp's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 357
neilrmp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawareca View Post
It can go either way,there is a risk involved.It is not unheard of shifting problems after fluid change.I would say less likely under 60-70 k miles and more likely after 100 k miles.

Shifting problems can be caused by not performing the process correctly or using the wrong or different oil, I always go with the recommended oil from the manufacture, it is way more expensive but cheaper than a new transmission.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
We never have problems, we always need solutions
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-12-2014, 11:12 AM
bawareca's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 976
bawareca is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilrmp View Post
Shifting problems can be caused by not performing the process correctly or using the wrong or different oil, I always go with the recommended oil from the manufacture, it is way more expensive but cheaper than a new transmission.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Absolutely agree for the oil.However,the transmission valve body is a very sensitive hydraulic device with countless small orifices.Once the system is "shaken" by the oil and filter change and some air bubbles going thru the system on the initial start-up after the new fluid is in may cause one or few microscopic objects to get into the VB and affect the way the fluid is flowing thru the servos and accumulators.The older the tranny,bigger chance for that to happen.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-12-2014, 12:18 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 150
conedoctor is on a distinguished road
I am in the same boat with my X5, just about to hit 160km and I am doing mine.

I really think the oil change problems is more of a myth than fact.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-12-2014, 12:51 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: RI
Posts: 141
E38flagship is on a distinguished road
100k is safe to do, I hear problems with people doing a flush and "freeing up" crud and it causing a blockage but personally have never seen it. And if that does happen it was going to eventually happen anyway. You more than safe at 100k that's a good time to do one. Normally I do a flush and put 3k on it flush again and change filter but that's just me
__________________
-e24 m6
-e32 740/5
-e34 525it
-e83
-e83 Msport (gf)
-e30 325ix (gf)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-12-2014, 01:52 PM
neilrmp's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 357
neilrmp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by E38flagship View Post
100k is safe to do, I hear problems with people doing a flush and "freeing up" crud and it causing a blockage but personally have never seen it. And if that does happen it was going to eventually happen anyway. You more than safe at 100k that's a good time to do one. Normally I do a flush and put 3k on it flush again and change filter but that's just me
+1
__________________
We never have problems, we always need solutions
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-12-2014, 05:56 PM
ard ard is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sierra Foothills, California
Posts: 5,677
ard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cravin View Post
, and others saying "if it's a power flush, you should be fine". .

I think you meant NOT a power flush.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-13-2014, 12:43 AM
Quicksilver's Avatar
Premier Member and retired relic
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NORCAL
Posts: 17,160
Quicksilver will become famous soon enough
CRAVIN

If you've seen the arguments both pro and con regarding the issue then you
know additional opinions should not determine your decision. Just decide
and live with the results.
__________________
"What you hear in a great jazz band is the sound of democracy. “The jazz band works best when participation is shaped by intelligent communication.”
Harmony happens whenever different parts get to form a whole by means of congruity, concord, symetry, consistency, conformity, correspondence, agreement, accord, unity, consonance…….
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:03 PM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
© 2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.