Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > Electronics > Navigation System
Bimmer Tool Rental
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-19-2006, 02:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: kent
Posts: 10
dam1en is on a distinguished road
Sat Nav question

Hi, just bought a Sept 2001 (51) X5 - unfortunatley the previous owner took the 6 CD and Sat Nav & phone with him. I checked the build spec and it had TV/ Telephone & Sat Nav Comms Pack, my question is

Can i just go out and buy any sat nav box from, lets say ebay, i want the mk4 unit as i have read this is a lot better, will this be simple to install, how do i do it?

I presume i can buy the 6 CD and just plug it in.

Ive read loads on the phone on these forums, but if someone can help me, the phone itself isnt there, would you suggest i go out and buy another handset or can i do anything with my mobile which is a motorola V3 range. i'd like to still use it in the same way, ie still place it in the arm rest and have it connected through to the screen for incoming calls/texts/ etc etc...

many thanks
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 06-19-2006, 02:40 PM
UCrewX5's Avatar
co-founder
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hockeytown, USA
Posts: 9,738
UCrewX5 has disabled reputation
Sat/Nav - yes, you can pick up a MkIV and just plug it into the existing wiring harness and you should be up and running. Make sure the MkIV is for an i-bus vehicle that has a color screen.

Like the Sat/Nav, the 6-disk CD changer is also a simple plug-n-play install. Look in the Stereo section of the home page for DIY instructions - http://www.xoutpost.com/articles/x5/s...er-bmw-x5.html

Regarding the phone, look into retrofitting the BMW Bluetooth phone system. Lots of info at http://www.xoutpost.com/bluetooth.php
__________________

Xoutpost.com - where you come for the information but stay for the friendships
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-19-2006, 07:36 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: kent
Posts: 10
dam1en is on a distinguished road
Thanks - The part where you said "Make sure the MkIV is for an i-bus vehicle that has a color screen" - what does this mean or what should I look for ? sorry if this is a stupid question!


Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-19-2006, 08:20 PM
UCrewX5's Avatar
co-founder
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hockeytown, USA
Posts: 9,738
UCrewX5 has disabled reputation
Physically, the MkIV should look like the one in this article - http://www.xoutpost.com/articles/all-...ystem-faq.html

The challenge is that the MkIV for the small mono screen (available in the 3-series e46) looks just like the MkIV for the larger color screen found in the X5. So be sure what you buy is for the latter. When hooked up, it should say in the SETTINGS "4-1/XX", where XX is the OS version number. 4 denotes a MkIV and the 1 denotes the color screen version.

__________________

Xoutpost.com - where you come for the information but stay for the friendships
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-20-2006, 07:40 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
Posts: 829
apw2607 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCrewX5
Physically, the MkIV should look like the one in this article - http://www.xoutpost.com/articles/all-...ystem-faq.html

The challenge is that the MkIV for the small mono screen (available in the 3-series e46) looks just like the MkIV for the larger color screen found in the X5. So be sure what you buy is for the latter. When hooked up, it should say in the SETTINGS "4-1/XX", where XX is the OS version number. 4 denotes a MkIV and the 1 denotes the color screen version.

Note, Both the E46 and E53 now use the large wide screen board monitor. The difference between the two units however is that the E53 has a cassette slot behind the screen and the E46 has a CD slot. The E46 unit will not fit in the E53 dash due to space limitations !!

Depending on what they have ripped out, you are going to need

Board monitor, Board monitor radio (trunk mounted), NAV computer (MK IV will work fine), CD Changer, TV module (note, a Digital/Analog tuner now exists so you can receive Freeview channels, not necessary for NAV functions though)

I would have a look around in the boot/trunk to make sure that the wiring looms are still there. If they aren't there, then it will be like doing a complete fresh NAV retrofit ...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-20-2006, 09:54 PM
UCrewX5's Avatar
co-founder
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hockeytown, USA
Posts: 9,738
UCrewX5 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607
Note, Both the E46 and E53 now use the large wide screen board monitor. The difference between the two units however is that the E53 has a cassette slot behind the screen and the E46 has a CD slot. The E46 unit will not fit in the E53 dash due to space limitations !!

Depending on what they have ripped out, you are going to need

Board monitor, Board monitor radio (trunk mounted), NAV computer (MK IV will work fine), CD Changer, TV module (note, a Digital/Analog tuner now exists so you can receive Freeview channels, not necessary for NAV functions though)

I would have a look around in the boot/trunk to make sure that the wiring looms are still there. If they aren't there, then it will be like doing a complete fresh NAV retrofit ...
Actually with the e46 there are two different nav options. One uses a color screen similar in size to the e53 (X5), and the MkIV for this system is totally interchangeable with the X5. The other, however, is a small monochrome screen and the MkIV for this unit will not work in the X5.

The fact that the later year e46's have a CD unit behind the screen instead of a cassette really doesn't factor into the equation.
__________________

Xoutpost.com - where you come for the information but stay for the friendships
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-28-2006, 12:46 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: kent
Posts: 10
dam1en is on a distinguished road
Hi, thanks for your responses.

Ive been down to the main dealer. I have all the necessary wires for the Sat Nav, the screen I have has the cassette at the back - the sat nav box that was originally in it was MK3. Im being told by the dealer that i will have to replace this with a MK3 box as MK4 will not work.

Can someone tell me if this is correct.

Ive seen loads of mk4 on ebay which offer upgrades from mk3 to mk4...

Just want to make sure I dont buy the wrong unit......

thanks
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-28-2006, 01:11 PM
trapdoor's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 465
trapdoor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dam1en
Im being told by the dealer that i will have to replace this with a MK3 box as MK4 will not work.

Can someone tell me if this is correct.

Ive seen loads of mk4 on ebay which offer upgrades from mk3 to mk4...

Just want to make sure I dont buy the wrong unit......

thanks
Total bullS**t - the Mk3 and Mk4 are plug-compatible and interchangeable. But as said previously, make sure you get the CORRECT Mk4 - if in doubt when buying from ebay, ask the part number and check with the dealer or http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partxref.do

Mark.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-28-2006, 05:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: kent
Posts: 10
dam1en is on a distinguished road
Hi Mark,

That website is great - thanks.

Problem is now is that most of the part numbers for the MK4 on ebay dont work - The one that did work came up for a Z4 roadster.

All the others the website couldnt find a matching part no. I guess this isnt good news.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-28-2006, 06:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: kent
Posts: 10
dam1en is on a distinguished road
I guess the one for the Z4 Roadster would have been useless for my X5. The roadster doesnt have the big colour screen like the X5 does?????!!!! correct???

god, this is doing my head in!!!!!

thanks for help everyone!

Damien
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:56 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.