Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > Electronics > Navigation System
Bimmer Tool Rental
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-28-2005, 08:00 PM
SNaray8442's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: X5world
Posts: 95
SNaray8442 is on a distinguished road
Why do people complain about the Navigation system?

"I nearly went nuts trying to use the navigation system. I was driving my daughter to a birthday party at a house I had visited only once. I knew the general area, had the street address, but couldn't figure out how to get the nav to allow me to enter a new destination. After 15 minutes (and admittedly without consulting the owner's manual), I gave up, both frustrated and disappointed."
Edmunds.com Manager of Vehicle Testing Kelly Toepke

"On the downside, the factory navigation system is the worst system I've ever experienced!"
Edmunds.com alanmg, April 12, 2004

I don't understand why people say the navigation is so hard to use. I spent 15 minutes with it on my first day, figured out exactly how it works, and have had no problems with it ever since. The first quoted person didn't even bother looking at the manual, so I don't think she really tried. It's not too difficult to use the right knob to type in where you are going, and I've my 11 year old figured out how to put in directions just fine. Sigh, I think people are just priding themselves in being ignorant of technology sometimes.

Any comments? Was using the navigation in your X very difficult? Is the navigation really that bad?
__________________
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 05-28-2005, 08:06 PM
ricky.agrawal's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Sugarland (Houston) Texas
Posts: 774
ricky.agrawal is on a distinguished road
It's not really that bad.

It kicks Mercedes ass in every which direction. It's about comparable to Lexus IMO because the Lexus loses second place for the following reasons.

1. You can't enter in stuff while in motion.
2. You can't hack it. (It's hard)

First place IMO is Honda's navigation systems. You can hack it, it's touch screen, and it works. I remember our 2000 Odyssey was faster, and overall better then even today's 2005 LS430.

All in all though, now that I've learned that you can get the navigation updates for the BMW for next to nothing (price of a dvd) and that you can upgrade it manually, it moved BMW to second place.

On that note, I think this person

Edmunds.com Manager of Vehicle Testing Kelly Toepke

must be a -f-ing idiot. BMW is almost idiot proof with their navigation. Perhaps they weren't using the X5's?
__________________
2005 LS430 || 2006 LX470
My Computer Helps Save Lives
admin @ mbworld.org
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-28-2005, 08:21 PM
Curious Joel's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: I-93
Posts: 2,715
Curious Joel is on a distinguished road
I thought it was very easy to use. It really isn't that hard. It took me maybe 15 minutes on the first day... The Volvo's navigation system is incredibly easy to use, but the map disk sucks. Anyway, the BMW one was great, I thought.
__________________
Curious Joel
2002 BMW X5 4.4i
retired
2003 BMW 330xi
retired

2007 BMW 335i Coupe
Montego Blue-Saddle Leather-Light Poplar Wood-Sport Package-Premium Package-Navigation w/iDrive-Comfort Access-Park Distance Control-Automatic w/Paddle Shifters-USB iPod link-Autobahnd clear bra
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-28-2005, 08:25 PM
UCrewX5's Avatar
co-founder
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hockeytown, USA
Posts: 9,737
UCrewX5 has disabled reputation
I wouldn't buy another without it
__________________

Xoutpost.com - where you come for the information but stay for the friendships
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-28-2005, 08:27 PM
RealShakaZulu's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Nor. Cal
Posts: 523
RealShakaZulu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNaray8442
"I don't understand why people say the navigation is so hard to use. I spent 15 minutes with it on my first day, figured out exactly how it works, and have had no problems with it ever since. The first quoted person didn't even bother looking at the manual, so I don't think she really tried. It's not too difficult to use the right knob to type in where you are going, and I've my 11 year old figured out how to put in directions just fine. Sigh, I think people are just priding themselves in being ignorant of technology sometimes.

Any comments? Was using the navigation in your X very difficult? Is the navigation really that bad?
It's only bad when you compare it to a really good one. For example the new Mercedes and Lexus navs offer a touch screen and Acura offers touch and voice recognition. As BMW prides themselves on innovation, their nav became an easy target.

Last edited by RealShakaZulu; 05-28-2005 at 08:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-28-2005, 08:29 PM
Curious Joel's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: I-93
Posts: 2,715
Curious Joel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCrewX5
I wouldn't buy another without it


I don't have nav in my 330xi and I miss it terribly. I hate being lost, and it's something I never had to worry about.. I could go for a drive in the X5 and not worry about where I ended up, because I could always put in my house... I really miss it! I don't like taking the 3 into Boston because I dont want to get lost..

I don't want to hijack the thread, but how much would my dealer charge for a nav retrofit, if they were even willing to do it?
__________________
Curious Joel
2002 BMW X5 4.4i
retired
2003 BMW 330xi
retired

2007 BMW 335i Coupe
Montego Blue-Saddle Leather-Light Poplar Wood-Sport Package-Premium Package-Navigation w/iDrive-Comfort Access-Park Distance Control-Automatic w/Paddle Shifters-USB iPod link-Autobahnd clear bra
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-28-2005, 09:09 PM
SNaray8442's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: X5world
Posts: 95
SNaray8442 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
It's not really that bad.

It kicks Mercedes ass in every which direction. It's about comparable to Lexus IMO because the Lexus loses second place for the following reasons.

1. You can't enter in stuff while in motion.
2. You can't hack it. (It's hard)

First place IMO is Honda's navigation systems. You can hack it, it's touch screen, and it works. I remember our 2000 Odyssey was faster, and overall better then even today's 2005 LS430.

All in all though, now that I've learned that you can get the navigation updates for the BMW for next to nothing (price of a dvd) and that you can upgrade it manually, it moved BMW to second place.

On that note, I think this person

Edmunds.com Manager of Vehicle Testing Kelly Toepke

must be a -f-ing idiot. BMW is almost idiot proof with their navigation. Perhaps they weren't using the X5's?
http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/compa...3/page004.html

They did use an X5 for this test
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-28-2005, 10:03 PM
LeMansX5's Avatar
Admin
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: X5world
Posts: 20,257
LeMansX5 has a spectacular aura aboutLeMansX5 has a spectacular aura aboutLeMansX5 has a spectacular aura about
Acura's navigation is the best nav I have seen. Very accurate and precise.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-28-2005, 10:27 PM
Quicksilver's Avatar
Premier Member and retired relic
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NORCAL
Posts: 17,158
Quicksilver will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal

you can get the navigation updates for the BMW for next to nothing (price of a dvd) and that you can upgrade it manually,
Thats good news. Where can I get the update for that price?
__________________
"What you hear in a great jazz band is the sound of democracy. “The jazz band works best when participation is shaped by intelligent communication.”
Harmony happens whenever different parts get to form a whole by means of congruity, concord, symetry, consistency, conformity, correspondence, agreement, accord, unity, consonance…….
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-28-2005, 11:16 PM
Chris F.'s Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northeast
Posts: 1,617
Chris F. is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Joel


I don't have nav in my 330xi and I miss it terribly. I hate being lost, and it's something I never had to worry about.. I could go for a drive in the X5 and not worry about where I ended up, because I could always put in my house... I really miss it! I don't like taking the 3 into Boston because I dont want to get lost..

I don't want to hijack the thread, but how much would my dealer charge for a nav retrofit, if they were even willing to do it?
They won't do it, so there's no reason to ask Like $5k maybe
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:06 PM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
© 2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.