Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > Electronics > Navigation System
Fluid Motor Union
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121  
Old 04-23-2008, 10:43 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 270
DWill is on a distinguished road
Ok, so here's the deal.
Today I took my X3 in for its first service and to get a few minor problems fixed that have popped up since I got it.

I asked the service "advisor" if they would run the upgrade to the Nav system ( 07 X3 picked it up Jul 07 ).

First thing he said was there wasn't an upgrade. Hmmm, I said; I don't think that's right, I pretty sure there is. He said he'd check on it.

Long story short I get a call a few hours later and I'm told that in fact there is an upgrade available (imagine my surprise). But he tells me BMW service doesn't cover the upgrade unless there is a SB that says it has to be done. Hmmmmm I say.

Well without going into all the details a few phone calls later to other folks a the dealership and Viola, the upgrad is magically covered...

End of story right....
WRONG...

The "advisor" calls me to tell me that he spoke with BMW and they tell him that they don't recomend the upgrade. Why is that I ask? He tells me that BMW told him that there are problems with the graphics in the upgrade.

So, my question(s)...
1. Have any of you that have the upgrade installed had any problem with the graphics? If so what.
2. Is there any real difference in the latest version -vs- the imeditate prior version?

Thanks for you help, and beware the ever decreasing quality of service from your local BMW dealer....

Sponsored Links

  #122  
Old 04-23-2008, 11:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Atlanta,GA
Posts: 497
Roy in GA is on a distinguished road
I have it in my e38 but see nothing new. It has been said that the new version was to provide bug fixes for the X3 and Z4. So you might not notice anything but it might actually work better. Kiwijochen mentioned this a few posts back on an other subject of the board.
  #123  
Old 04-24-2008, 07:02 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,575
KiwiJochen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWill
First thing he said was there wasn't an upgrade. Hmmm, I said; I don't think that's right, I pretty sure there is. He said he'd check on it.
Standard reaction. They don't read every tech bulleting, svc manager is not always up to date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWill
Long story short I get a call a few hours later and I'm told that in fact there is an upgrade available (imagine my surprise). But he tells me BMW service doesn't cover the upgrade unless there is a SB that says it has to be done.
Standard BMW global policy.
If the customer has no complaints or faults regarding the nav, they don't touch it. Otherwise, they waste time and effort and possibly create problems (they are very nervous about updates, all the newer cars have major hassles with failled updates for no explicit reason)

Only if the dealer is 'friendly' will they do you a 'favour' and upgrade the nav.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWill
The "advisor" calls me to tell me that he spoke with BMW and they tell him that they don't recomend the upgrade. Why is that I ask? He tells me that BMW told him that there are problems with the graphics in the upgrade.
I don't believe any users have suffered problems... but BMW may be right - if their source is correct
  #124  
Old 04-24-2008, 08:39 AM
X5 Meister's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nordschleife
Posts: 5,486
X5 Meister is on a distinguished road
Interesting chain of events. A few comments:

1. It's amazing how many service advisors either don't know these things or are just playing dumb, my guess is the latter.

2. The SIB specifically states that it's not covered under warranty, so you definitely got lucky. He could have shown you the SIB and told you no, unless you want to pay $ for the work.

3. Never heard of any problems, but if that is the case then V31.1 should have been out by now, or is coming very soon. If no V31.1 in the next 6 months, then I'd say it was BS.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DWill
Ok, so here's the deal.
Today I took my X3 in for its first service and to get a few minor problems fixed that have popped up since I got it.

I asked the service "advisor" if they would run the upgrade to the Nav system ( 07 X3 picked it up Jul 07 ).

First thing he said was there wasn't an upgrade. Hmmm, I said; I don't think that's right, I pretty sure there is. He said he'd check on it.

Long story short I get a call a few hours later and I'm told that in fact there is an upgrade available (imagine my surprise). But he tells me BMW service doesn't cover the upgrade unless there is a SB that says it has to be done. Hmmmmm I say.

Well without going into all the details a few phone calls later to other folks a the dealership and Viola, the upgrad is magically covered...

End of story right....
WRONG...

The "advisor" calls me to tell me that he spoke with BMW and they tell him that they don't recomend the upgrade. Why is that I ask? He tells me that BMW told him that there are problems with the graphics in the upgrade.

So, my question(s)...
1. Have any of you that have the upgrade installed had any problem with the graphics? If so what.
2. Is there any real difference in the latest version -vs- the imeditate prior version?

Thanks for you help, and beware the ever decreasing quality of service from your local BMW dealer....
  #125  
Old 04-26-2008, 04:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Jax, Fl
Posts: 7
great white is on a distinguished road
Hello everyone:

I'm a newbie and have the MKIV in my vehicle with the the V23. I tried to download the V31 from the posted links, but keep seeing a mega upload page asking me to subscribe, is this accurate? I just want to upgrade the software. When I asked the dealer, they acted like I was speaking french or something. Any help will be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Also, do I have to download the perspective feature separate from the V31? If so, where can I do so...thanks again

JC
  #126  
Old 04-26-2008, 05:40 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: North Lincolnshire, UK
Posts: 119
Jaycee is on a distinguished road
great white - at the top of the mega upload page you will see a box in which you have to enter the letters adjacent to the box. Once you've done that the next page will have a box with 2 columns, the right column contains a countdown timer, just wait for that to reach zero and your download will begin.

This link : BMW Navigation System FAQ will tell you all you need to know about what software updates did what. From it you will see that perspective mode was introduced with v27 on MkIV units, so when you download and update to v31 you will have it.
  #127  
Old 04-27-2008, 10:05 PM
Imola.ZHP's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Cordova, TN
Posts: 72
Imola.ZHP is on a distinguished road
@DWill, I'm not surprised to hear this, after purchasing my CPO'd `03 ZHP, I took it in for its first service and minor warranty issues and asked them to make sure my MKIV was up to date too. When I picked up the car she said it was up to date, however, it was not, so basically they were just lazy. I decided it wasn't worth the hassle to me, so I read/burned/upgraded the system myself. No problems thus-far, now I'm about to upgrade to V31 after I mod it slightly...

I'd say since she's under warranty, try to update her yourself, if it doesn't work, take it in and say you have no clue what happened, lol...
__________________


Marcus
  #128  
Old 04-28-2008, 03:47 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Jax, Fl
Posts: 7
great white is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycee
great white - at the top of the mega upload page you will see a box in which you have to enter the letters adjacent to the box. Once you've done that the next page will have a box with 2 columns, the right column contains a countdown timer, just wait for that to reach zero and your download will begin.

This link : BMW Navigation System FAQ will tell you all you need to know about what software updates did what. From it you will see that perspective mode was introduced with v27 on MkIV units, so when you download and update to v31 you will have it.
Thank you Jaycee. I followed your instructions and the download was successful. I transfer the download into a CD (I think) and tried to follow the directions given on the link you provided. The screen read no disk or incorrect disk and the system spits it out. Do I need to open the file before I transfer to a disk? If so, what is the program I need to open it? Thanks again for helping out a computer challenged person

JC
  #129  
Old 04-28-2008, 04:16 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,575
KiwiJochen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by great white
Thanks again for helping out a computer challenged person
Ask a computer-literate friend to help.

Otherwise you risk crashing your nav and struggling to get it to recover.
  #130  
Old 04-29-2008, 12:30 PM
Imola.ZHP's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Cordova, TN
Posts: 72
Imola.ZHP is on a distinguished road
Help!

Ok, not totally new to this, I successfully updated to v29 and unlocked perspective mode, about a year, or so ago. But did not attempt to hack it...

Yes, I did have to re-learn how to do everything. Plus, the computer I had all the v29 on died, I bought a mac, that complicates things, so I'm trying to do this on my work computer...

Successfully downloaded and expanded the .rar, then changed it to .iso with magic iso. As far as I know, I successfully made the changes in nav tweak and replaced the correct navboot file with my modified one.

Using magic iso I've tried 2 verbatium disc's, a no-name disc that was from a stack in which I burned v29 and had no problems, a disc that came with my crashed Dell 5 years ago in an Acer cover, and a random office depot CD-R. I keep getting the same message "The inserted disc is defective, remove the disc and confirm with OK."

So, thinking magic iso was burning too fast, I downloaded and installed imgburn and burned an "acer" CD-RW at 1x. Same error message...

All help is much appreciated. I started this process yesterday afternoon and have had a black screen since. Its not too bad, at least I have audio, haha...
__________________


Marcus
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:32 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.