Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > Electronics > Navigation System
Fluid Motor Union
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-16-2008, 01:04 AM
Mack7's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 16
Mack7 is on a distinguished road
No RDS-TMC for Australian earlier build BMW's

The RDS-TMC traffic service has been in opertation here in Australia for about a year now (www.sunatraffic.com.au) however BMW have stated the following:-

We have recently received advice from BMW AG and Suna that the traffic service will not be available for earlier build vehicles, there is an issue with the software levels within the navigation computer and at this stage the software will not be developed for these vehicles.

When the data is available it will then only be offered for BMW vehicles built form the start of the 4th quarter 2008, when fitted with the soon to be released “CIC” information display / navigation system.

We apologies if this causes you any inconvenience.

This is what we could have had:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1liriVZlMs

Surley there must be a demand for this with all the mk4 navigation systems out there.

My questions are:-

Can the software be developed for Mk4 Navigation by somebody else or is it possible to add the TMC location tables to an existing navigation disc?

Maybe we could start a petition, what do you think guys?
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 09-16-2008, 01:31 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,575
KiwiJochen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack7
The RDS-TMC traffic service has been in opertation here in Australia for about a year now (www.sunatraffic.com.au) however BMW have stated the following:-

We have recently received advice from BMW AG and Suna that the traffic service will not be available for earlier build vehicles, there is an issue with the software levels within the navigation computer and at this stage the software will not be developed for these vehicles.

When the data is available it will then only be offered for BMW vehicles built form the start of the 4th quarter 2008, when fitted with the soon to be released “CIC” information display / navigation system.

We apologies if this causes you any inconvenience.

This is what we could have had:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1liriVZlMs

Surley there must be a demand for this with all the mk4 navigation systems out there.

My questions are:-

Can the software be developed for Mk4 Navigation by somebody else or is it possible to add the TMC location tables to an existing navigation disc?

Maybe we could start a petition, what do you think guys?
Hi,

TMC needs 3 key things:
1. RDS Radio with RDS-TMC receiver (you may or may not have this)
2. Nav unit with TMC evaluation and display capabilities
3. Map disc with TMC tables on it

As long as they implement the TMC data in accordance with the decades-old Euro RDS-TMC standard, then the only change required is to make sure the radio is TMC-capable and produce the map with the TMC database on it.

The radios supplied to Australia wiere the C23-Oceania models (prior to 2001). These most likely do NOT have RDS-TMC receivers in them, as it didn't exist back then. So a radio change to a newer radio is required to get the TMC receiver. Later models after 2001 will need to be re-programmed to go into Euro-mode to enable the TMC data stream. Even then, you may need to re-code the radio or swap it.

As for the map: Given that the map database, and thus TMC location-table database, are proprietary VDO-format files, it is impossible for anyone else to develop the data. The format is very complex.

And that will be where the big issue lies. Map discs.

We know that the current map disc (as used in the Mk4) is still used on Z4, X3 and E65 7-series, but all these cars are nearing end of production.

Of course, BMW will be interested only in supporting new features on new model vehicles..... they want to sell a new car, not a new map disc....

So whilst that is frustrating for E38/E39 owners, it makes logical commercial sense as to what they said to you

Last edited by KiwiJochen; 09-16-2008 at 01:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-16-2008, 02:09 AM
Mack7's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 16
Mack7 is on a distinguished road
Thanks Jochen, I was hoping you would reply after reading many of your posts on different forums over the years.

From what I can see the Australian RDS-TMC standard is similair to the UK standard as described here:-

http://www.sunatraffic.com.au/busine...tmc/index.html

So it should just be a matter of a map disc with the TMC database, I might contact Suna Traffic to see what they have to say.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-16-2008, 11:18 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,575
KiwiJochen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack7
Thanks Jochen, I was hoping you would reply after reading many of your posts on different forums over the years.

From what I can see the Australian RDS-TMC standard is similair to the UK standard as described here:-

http://www.sunatraffic.com.au/busine...tmc/index.html

So it should just be a matter of a map disc with the TMC database, I might contact Suna Traffic to see what they have to say.
I see suna are using a conditional access system. They are a commercial company. You have to pay to receive the TMC data.

So that's another stumbling block for you....
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-25-2013, 03:51 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 217
frozenwaffles is on a distinguished road
Was there ever an update on this? If i dont need AUX in, is there any reason i should get a BM54 for my car if my C23 radio is working perfectly fine?
__________________
X5 2001 4.4i E53
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-25-2013, 07:39 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,575
KiwiJochen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenwaffles View Post
Was there ever an update on this? If i dont need AUX in, is there any reason i should get a BM54 for my car if my C23 radio is working perfectly fine?
You need 2 things:
The RDS-TMC enabled radio
The TMC enabled map

You can buy and fit the radio easily

But if BMW never released the TMC-enabled map, then it is all a waste of time.

You see, the map contains a database which decodes each TMC numeric location to a specific spot on a street. The database is different for each country. And if the database doesn't exist on your map, then nothing will work.

To add the database you must be an expert on mapping systems and TMC data (I am not), it would be a job similar to jailbraking the iPhone.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:54 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
© 2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.