Xoutpost.com

Xoutpost.com (https://xoutpost.com/forums.php)
-   X5 (E53) Forum (https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x5-e53-forum/)
-   -   What did you do to / for your E53 today?? (https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x5-e53-forum/78921-what-did-you-do-your-e53-today.html)

Happy 05-10-2022 07:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A smart Woman uses a good conditioner for her hair.. Why shouldn’t Ole’Girl use a good one as well.. ;)

Attachment 82143

Bdc101 05-10-2022 08:17 PM

I didn't do anything for my car today, but I did obtain a laptop that I can run PA soft on. I have been without a personal laptop for a couple of years. My boss offered to give me my old work laptop that I stopped using about a year ago. It is Windows 10 but it's a very nice high-end business-grade PC, and I have figured out how to get the Windows 10 USB drivers working after much weeping and gnashing of teeth, so it will do the trick. Finally I can code again.

X5chemist 05-11-2022 08:14 AM

Bdc101,
Can you link the cable used? I’ll be going WIN10 for INPA and DIS software. Did you use any older compatibility settings?

nick325xit 5spd 05-11-2022 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by X5chemist (Post 1220483)
Bdc101,
Can you link the cable used? I’ll be going WIN10 for INPA and DIS software. Did you use any older compatibility settings?

I like the Bimmergeeks cables: https://www.bimmergeeks.net

I keep three old thinkpads around for different garage duties.

Bdc101 05-11-2022 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by X5chemist (Post 1220483)
Bdc101,
Can you link the cable used? I’ll be going WIN10 for INPA and DIS software. Did you use any older compatibility settings?


I had a LOT of trouble getting a Windows 10 laptop to talk to PA Soft/BMW Scanner.



The first problem is that people who have it working think it is easy. I think your difficulties will vary depending on the exact PC you are using and the version of windows. For me, I had to install a particular flavor of a particular USB driver and reinstall it every time I wanted to use it, because Windows 10 will blow it away regularly and there is no way to stop it from doing so. Wading through tons of forum posts to find the exact thing to do (since there are no published instructions that match my issues) was a lot of time.



Second, I made the mistake of buying a cheap chinese cable off ebay first. It worked the first few weeks I had it, and then never worked again. I was able to identify it as broken and bought the correct cable from the place in the UK. (I would have to do some digging to find the actual place, the name escapes me right now.) The bimmergeeks cable looks legit though, hopefully that is a good one.

nick325xit 5spd 05-11-2022 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bdc101 (Post 1220487)
I had a LOT of trouble getting a Windows 10 laptop to talk to PA Soft/BMW Scanner.



The first problem is that people who have it working think it is easy. I think your difficulties will vary depending on the exact PC you are using and the version of windows. For me, I had to install a particular flavor of a particular USB driver and reinstall it every time I wanted to use it, because Windows 10 will blow it away regularly and there is no way to stop it from doing so. Wading through tons of forum posts to find the exact thing to do (since there are no published instructions that match my issues) was a lot of time.



Second, I made the mistake of buying a cheap chinese cable off ebay first. It worked the first few weeks I had it, and then never worked again. I was able to identify it as broken and bought the correct cable from the place in the UK. (I would have to do some digging to find the actual place, the name escapes me right now.) The bimmergeeks cable looks legit though, hopefully that is a good one.

The FTDI driver may still be bricking some of the cheaper cables using counterfeit chips. That's been a problem in the past.

Bdc101 05-11-2022 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick325xit 5spd (Post 1220488)
The FTDI driver may still be bricking some of the cheaper cables using counterfeit chips. That's been a problem in the past.


It certainly could have been my problem, but like I said, it did work the first few times after I figured out the USB drivers. I had also read that the cheaper cable had soldering issues with a couple of pins, which might also have been the problem.



Either way, I learned my lesson buying the cheap chinese version of something. Their ebay shop even closed up and renamed themselves by the time the cable had failed. Couldn't even leave them feedback or try to get a refund. This was actually one of the many reasons that led me to try to go through my life without buying anything made in china. But you didn't come here to hear me get on a soap box.

Happy 05-11-2022 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bdc101 (Post 1220490)
Either way, I learned my lesson buying the cheap chinese version of something.


Definitely keep those “too good too be true” priced parts out of you E53. Pain usually follows.

EODguy 05-12-2022 12:00 PM

Made the mistake of saying that the Witch was doing good and had no problems......

Well she killed her MAF on the way home. That's what I get for mentioning anything about the White Witch!![emoji849][emoji849]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...60279bc12f.jpg
How MAF's are sent to my parts place

Fifty150hs 05-12-2022 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EODguy (Post 1220524)
Made the mistake of saying that the Witch was doing good and had no problems......

Well she killed her MAF on the way home. That's what I get for mentioning anything about the White Witch!![emoji849][emoji849]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...60279bc12f.jpg
How MAF's are sent to my parts place

Didn't you recently replace a MAF?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:47 AM.

vBulletin, Copyright 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
© 2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved.