Xoutpost.com

Xoutpost.com (https://xoutpost.com/forums.php)
-   X5 (E70) Forum (https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x5-e70-forum/)
-   -   Water Pump Coolant Sensor leaking (https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x5-e70-forum/109930-water-pump-coolant-sensor-leaking.html)

Bmwfvr 03-15-2019 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 740iS (Post 1157514)
Have you or have you had your coolant crossover pipe (runs front to back under intake manifold and valley pan) replaced? The location of the coolant leak from the weep hole sounds like the one the 4.8 leaks from when the crossover pipe rubber ring starts to fail. Had the same on my '08 with 4.8 and just purchased the All German Auto Coolant pipe, installed it and all leaks stopped.

No that pipe was never replaced. I did have the valley pan gasket replaced though like 4 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Xoutpost.com mobile app

740iS 03-15-2019 03:04 PM

There is a 1/8" or smaller weep hole just above that sensor on the block. If that's leaking at all, your crossover pipe seal is failing. The only resolution is a replacement. If you go OEM then you have to tear down the front end as it is too long to put in with the entire radiator, A/C Condensor, and other various parts in the way. All German Auto's crossover pipe expands to fit the space and is much easier to remove the old and replace with new. I got it done on my X5 between 4 to 5 hours and that included some other work at the same time.

Bmwfvr 03-15-2019 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 740iS (Post 1157517)
There is a 1/8" or smaller weep hole just above that sensor on the block. If that's leaking at all, your crossover pipe seal is failing. The only resolution is a replacement. If you go OEM then you have to tear down the front end as it is too long to put in with the entire radiator, A/C Condensor, and other various parts in the way. All German Auto's crossover pipe expands to fit the space and is much easier to remove the old and replace with new. I got it done on my X5 between 4 to 5 hours and that included some other work at the same time.

I have done valve cover gasket myself. Would the transfer pipe be easier job? Also i found a less expensive part by URO. Is that good at all?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Xoutpost.com mobile app

740iS 03-15-2019 03:15 PM

Not really easier, but if you are meticulous you should be okay. Intake has to come off and the Eccentric gears on each valve cover do too. Then of course water pump and valley pan. You cut the old pipe in half to be able to pull it out. Clean the areas and install the new. Go to All German Auto's site and take a look around. 11-14-1-439-975 BMW N62 Coolant Pipe | AGA Tools I got the complete kit with valley pan and all the needed gaskets. Worth the extra money to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoCED1jyfL4 quick video on how to do it.

Regarding Uro, I know they're cheaper, but I have never had any luck at all with anything they produce. I do not trust anything from them. Just passing along what I know works and works well. If you do a search for part number from AGA's site you may find it a bit cheaper and it's the same kit. They do have a couple of resellers out there that sell the complete kit for arount $100.00 less. For me it was even more of a savings as I didn't have to pay sales tax or shipping either.

Bmwfvr 03-15-2019 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 740iS (Post 1157521)
Not really easier, but if you are meticulous you should be okay. Intake has to come off and the Eccentric gears on each valve cover do too. Then of course water pump and valley pan. You cut the old pipe in half to be able to pull it out. Clean the areas and install the new. Go to All German Auto's site and take a look around. 11-14-1-439-975 BMW N62 Coolant Pipe | AGA Tools I got the complete kit with valley pan and all the needed gaskets. Worth the extra money to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoCED1jyfL4 quick video on how to do it.

Regarding Uro, I know they're cheaper, but I have never had any luck at all with anything they produce. I do not trust anything from them. Just passing along what I know works and works well. If you do a search for part number from AGA's site you may find it a bit cheaper and it's the same kit. They do have a couple of resellers out there that sell the complete kit for arount $100.00 less. For me it was even more of a savings as I didn't have to pay sales tax or shipping either.

i think I will take it to my local BMW indy shop. 4/5 hours of labor maybe? man this month has been costly $2000 to address oil leaks .. and now this .. what's next? :)

740iS 03-15-2019 04:25 PM

Be careful, some indy's will only want to install the BMW pipe and that is around a $6,000.00 job! Go through the information on the website and video link I provided and make sure you know what you are talking about with them and be able to get them to use the kit too! I know AGA charges around $3,000 for the job with parts included. But I don't know how many hours they list it at!

Bmwfvr 03-15-2019 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 740iS (Post 1157525)
Be careful, some indy's will only want to install the BMW pipe and that is around a $6,000.00 job! Go through the information on the website and video link I provided and make sure you know what you are talking about with them and be able to get them to use the kit too! I know AGA charges around $3,000 for the job with parts included. But I don't know how many hours they list it at!

I have already discussed this with them. They said they have done this repair multiple times with the expanding pipe. They wouldn't give me an estimate though. They want to inspect the vehicle first to get a diagnosis.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Xoutpost.com mobile app

Baby Unicorn Taco 03-15-2019 06:14 PM

Use an o-ring made of viton or buna-n instead of a sealant. I just did this same sensor.


Sent from my iPhone using Xoutpost.com

Baby Unicorn Taco 03-15-2019 06:25 PM

A coolant leak from the weep hole wouldn't lead to that sensor.


Sent from my iPhone using Xoutpost.com

Bmwfvr 03-15-2019 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unicorn (Post 1157532)
A coolant leak from the weep hole wouldn't lead to that sensor.


Sent from my iPhone using Xoutpost.com

yes you are right. is the coolant leak from the weep hole visible without taking parts out of the way? should i be able to see a trace of coolant by simply looking at the front of the engine?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:13 AM.

vBulletin, Copyright 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved.