Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Arnott
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 12-02-2018, 10:57 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NYC
Posts: 930
mr_robot is on a distinguished road
Here's another one, with some physical buttons looking more OEM:

Look what I found on AliExpress
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bHVUdAJQ

But it's for e46, wondering if it fits our dash?!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________
2005 Imola 4.8iS
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #82  
Old 12-02-2018, 11:48 AM
semcoinc's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 791
semcoinc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalworks View Post
Video is up. I have to say... I'm pretty excited about this one. It's got really good response and the screen is gorgeous. I know it doesn't look good in this video as I shot it quick and dirty on my cell phone... but it is SHARP. I don't know how this happened but it is not supposed to come with the extension harness but they sent it to me anyway. No complaints here.

Bench test video.
Looks great!

The extra screen real estate should be nice and 4GB RAM will run very nicely and retain snappy performance among even the most RAM hoggy apps.

Mike
__________________

Mike
Dallas, TX & Appleton, WI
2003 E53 4.4i Pearl Beige
2003 E46 330Xi Monaco Blue
2007 E90 335Xi Black Sapphire Metallic
2011 F25 X3 28i Black Sapphire Metallic
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 12-02-2018, 12:04 PM
PropellerHead's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: At the wheel of a Bimmer
Posts: 1,844
PropellerHead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_robot View Post
But it's for e46, wondering if it fits our dash?!
They do not interchange.

Besides, that's another quad core. Stay away.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 12-02-2018, 09:18 PM
Overboost's Avatar
//Binary is in my DNA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 1,799
Overboost is on a distinguished road
Well, this Avin Avant-3 satisfies my OCD for looking as close to OEM as any android system can and has some decent specs I think. They claim it will work with DSP and non Nav so maybe an option for me moving forward. And of course they are back-ordered... I'll see if I can speak with someone and verify the DSP compatibility.

https://avinusa.com/avant-3-for-bmw-...n-system.html/
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 12-02-2018, 09:33 PM
PropellerHead's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: At the wheel of a Bimmer
Posts: 1,844
PropellerHead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
Well, this Avin Avant-3 satisfies my OCD for looking as close to OEM as any android system can and has some decent specs I think.
Keep in mind Avin is a closed system. The earlier version would not allow installation of other apps. If you look closely, you'll see that the latest version comes with the IBus USB interface included.

You may get the function, but I am leery of these systems that wrap everything up nice and neat for the user. This generally means that they want to keep you as a revenue stream tied to their system, updates, and upgrades. I don't have experience with these, but I wouldn't buy one based simply on my impression of their efforts to insulate their users from the possibilities of their system. It smells like Apple's 'eco system' to me. Anyone's practical use with the hardware is welcome to chime in but it's a word of caution for me until I hear they open it up.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 12-02-2018, 09:46 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NYC
Posts: 930
mr_robot is on a distinguished road
What do you guys think about this Android HU?

Avin3 does look very oem, especially as it doesnít have the dvd slot all the other units have. But after you add all the options (iBUS required for DSP $89) plus the 6m cable also required it gets pretty expensive. Some are just an empty slot. Donít understand why they put it, itís an obsolete media.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________
2005 Imola 4.8iS
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 12-02-2018, 09:48 PM
X5only's Avatar
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 973
X5only is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
Well, this Avin Avant-3 satisfies my OCD for looking as close to OEM as any android system can and has some decent specs I think. They claim it will work with DSP and non Nav so maybe an option for me moving forward. And of course they are back-ordered... I'll see if I can speak with someone and verify the DSP compatibility.

https://avinusa.com/avant-3-for-bmw-...n-system.html/
Man, that thing looks very nice and it's an android system. I have the dynavin N6 and I'm tired of it. I've been trying to get rid of it for cheapo but haven't gotten offers yet. It works with my DSP but it's completely closed
__________________
'05 E53 X5 4.4i, '97 E39 528, '07 E92 335i, '16 F86 X6M.

Last edited by X5only; 12-02-2018 at 09:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 12-02-2018, 10:06 PM
Overboost's Avatar
//Binary is in my DNA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 1,799
Overboost is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropellerHead View Post
Keep in mind Avin is a closed system. The earlier version would not allow installation of other apps. If you look closely, you'll see that the latest version comes with the IBus USB interface included.

You may get the function, but I am leery of these systems that wrap everything up nice and neat for the user. This generally means that they want to keep you as a revenue stream tied to their system, updates, and upgrades. I don't have experience with these, but I wouldn't buy one based simply on my impression of their efforts to insulate their users from the possibilities of their system. It smells like Apple's 'eco system' to me. Anyone's practical use with the hardware is welcome to chime in but it's a word of caution for me until I hear they open it up.
I just spent a half hour talking to the rep, they are based in Riverside, CA. I asked about the IBus interface and he said it is rolf resler, thay have been working with him for years.

I also asked about the closed system and he said it was a rumor spread that is completely untrue. I could add any app like your home security app you have on yours (I really like that)

Plus the new shipment is coming with 4GB RAM instead of the initial release of 2GB RAM

Android 6.0 Marshmallow (64bit)
Octa-Core CPU
4GB RAM (DDR3)
32GB Internal Storage
1 second boot time (from standby)

It is a little expensive but my OCD always ends up costing me money.

Last edited by Overboost; 12-02-2018 at 10:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 12-02-2018, 10:13 PM
PropellerHead's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: At the wheel of a Bimmer
Posts: 1,844
PropellerHead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
It is a little expensive but my OCD always ends up costing me money.
Dewd. Those specs and that promise direct from them? I'd do it on the quick.

And then?

Well THEN I would make this GINORMOUS thread here about the *install* and the way the thing WORKS and like, how fast it is....

Oh! And with VIDEO! Oh yeah. I would be on the YouTube with my new sh!t. And posting here. Like A LOT.

I mean. You know. Jest my thinkin is all.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 12-02-2018, 10:34 PM
Overboost's Avatar
//Binary is in my DNA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 1,799
Overboost is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropellerHead View Post
Dewd. Those specs and that promise direct from them? I'd do it on the quick.

And then?

Well THEN I would make this GINORMOUS thread here about the *install* and the way the thing WORKS and like, how fast it is....

Oh! And with VIDEO! Oh yeah. I would be on the YouTube with my new sh!t. And posting here. Like A LOT.

I mean. You know. Jest my thinkin is all.
Yeah, I pulled the trigger. He told me the last shipment sold out before they got it and expected the same interest and perhaps more with the 4GB RAM upgrade and it does make sense. Either way I ordered the base system with IBus interface with DSP license, brackets and offline maps. (Wifey would never be able to figure out how to hot spot from her phone)

Anyway, $750 less in the BMW maintenance account...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:25 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
© 2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.