Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Arnott
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 11-27-2019, 08:25 PM
Happy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Golden Coast/Lake Houston
Posts: 193
Happy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by e39_touring View Post
None on the transmission, but the LCI ('04+ 6 speed) transfer case is electronically controled (x-drive). Your pre-LCI doesn't even have the wiring harness for this. I looked into this swap and it would be an inordinate amount of work to do. I'm in the process of doing a differential swap as I write this. Going to the 3.64 differentials will drop your RPM's by 11%.


If the vehicle in question shares the same transfer case as I, it would be a downgrade. My transfer case is the same used in the Range Rover and is chain driven (analog). Bulletproof!

So my understanding is, replacing my diffís with a 3.64 ratio decreases my acceleration by 11%?
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #12  
Old 11-27-2019, 09:22 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 209
e39_touring is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
If the vehicle in question shares the same transfer case as I, it would be a downgrade. My transfer case is the same used in the Range Rover and is chain driven (analog). Bulletproof!

So my understanding is, replacing my diffís with a 3.64 ratio decreases my acceleration by 11%?
I agree on the TC, simpler is better. Understanding how the systems works and having owned/driven pre and post LCI X5's at the same time in snow, I just don't see any advantage to x-drive with non-locking front and rear differentials.

Your acceleration won't decrease by 11% by installing 3.64 diffs. Yes, in a given gear and at a given rpm, the accelleration at that point will be 11% less. BUT, you'll hold a gear longer (or downshift) and shift less on the way from 0-60. I bet your 0-60 wouldn't be affected if it required one less shift. Mine are in the process of going in; I'll let you know how it goes when I get her buttoned up.
__________________
2012 xDrive35d
2001 BMW X5 3.0i 5MT
and two 1987 Corvettes - Callaway Twin Turbo and Guldstrand Grand Sport 80
Block Tester
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-27-2019, 09:30 PM
Happy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Golden Coast/Lake Houston
Posts: 193
Happy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by e39_touring View Post
Mine are in the process of going in; I'll let you know how it goes when I get her buttoned up.

Yes, please..
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-27-2019, 09:33 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Stamford ,Connecticut
Posts: 23
Jps1995m3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpoll View Post
True - but you never stated it was a manual trans and I just assumed it was an auto.

So yeah, much easier. But the transfer case issue is the same... unless you can get the NV125/LWX500 transfer case to fit the 6-speed trans, you are looking at a full xDrive retro-fit.
Well I did stated it manual swap itís really not a big deal from what other people are saying I guess the differential is the way to go to swap....
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-27-2019, 09:37 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Stamford ,Connecticut
Posts: 23
Jps1995m3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by e39_touring View Post
I agree on the TC, simpler is better. Understanding how the systems works and having owned/driven pre and post LCI X5's at the same time in snow, I just don't see any advantage to x-drive with non-locking front and rear differentials.

Your acceleration won't decrease by 11% by installing 3.64 diffs. Yes, in a given gear and at a given rpm, the accelleration at that point will be 11% less. BUT, you'll hold a gear longer (or downshift) and shift less on the way from 0-60. I bet your 0-60 wouldn't be affected if it required one less shift. Mine are in the process of going in; I'll let you know how it goes when I get her buttoned up.
What differentials are you using and where are you getting the gearing?
Iím definitely interested to see how it goes once youíre all buttoned up with it best of luck and canít wait to hear the results.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-27-2019, 10:00 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 209
e39_touring is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jps1995m3 View Post
What differentials are you using and where are you getting the gearing?
Iím definitely interested to see how it goes once youíre all buttoned up with it best of luck and canít wait to hear the results.
I've got a set of front and rears off a 4.4L - they're 3.64 ratio. Fronts are a direct swap. On the rears, you have to pop out the stub axles from your stock 4.10 diff and move them over to the 3.64 donor diff. It takes all of 5 minutes, and you should be replacing the seals while you have it out anyway (which requires removing the stub axles).

I've got high hopes for the conversion because 1st gear is just crazy short, even for towing, and as you know, 5th is a screamer on the highway. With headers and EU2 tune, I believe I'm ~10% up on power, so the 11% taller final drive gearing should be, well, perfect!
__________________
2012 xDrive35d
2001 BMW X5 3.0i 5MT
and two 1987 Corvettes - Callaway Twin Turbo and Guldstrand Grand Sport 80
Block Tester
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-27-2019, 10:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Stamford ,Connecticut
Posts: 23
Jps1995m3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by e39_touring View Post
I've got a set of front and rears off a 4.4L - they're 3.64 ratio. Fronts are a direct swap. On the rears, you have to pop out the stub axles from your stock 4.10 diff and move them over to the 3.64 donor diff. It takes all of 5 minutes, and you should be replacing the seals while you have it out anyway (which requires removing the stub axles).

I've got high hopes for the conversion because 1st gear is just crazy short, even for towing, and as you know, 5th is a screamer on the highway. With headers and EU2 tune, I believe I'm ~10% up on power, so the 11% taller final drive gearing should be, well, perfect!
PM me about the diff if the price is right..

Yes first gear and fifth gear is nothing in these cars with their manual.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-27-2019, 10:10 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Stamford ,Connecticut
Posts: 23
Jps1995m3 is on a distinguished road
I was just reading this

https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/...ted-slips.html
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-27-2019, 10:16 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 209
e39_touring is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jps1995m3 View Post
PM me about the diff if the price is right..

Yes first gear and fifth gear is nothing in these cars with their manual.
The 3.64's are going on in my X5. Are you looking for a set of 3.64's or are you interested in my old 4.10's when I'm don with them? I don't have extra 3.64's. They're easy to find on ebay - just pick a donor with reasonable miles since normal people don't change their gear oil.
__________________
2012 xDrive35d
2001 BMW X5 3.0i 5MT
and two 1987 Corvettes - Callaway Twin Turbo and Guldstrand Grand Sport 80
Block Tester
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-27-2019, 10:19 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 209
e39_touring is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jps1995m3 View Post
YES - that's the thread that originally gave me the inspiration to do this. I ran into a few inconsistencies when researching the swap, but I've cleared those up in the other thread I had about swapping diffs. Turns out it is plug and play on the pre-LCI cars (I was worried that the full rear axles would have to be swapped, but that's not the case).
__________________
2012 xDrive35d
2001 BMW X5 3.0i 5MT
and two 1987 Corvettes - Callaway Twin Turbo and Guldstrand Grand Sport 80
Block Tester
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:16 PM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
© 2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.