Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Arnott
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 10-06-2021, 01:31 PM
andrewwynn's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 8,740
andrewwynn will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5chemist View Post
The fan does not start up when I pull the sensor off the coolant line. So I guess my sensor is toast. Time to drain the coolant and replace it.

That's backwards. Pulling the pressure sensor from AC line will make the aux fan spin; indication of a problem with the fan not the AC.

Can you engage the fan with your scanner?

You said coolant line, do you mean refrigerant line? Pulling the radiator outlet line I'm not aware of having an effect on that
__________________
E53 / M54 2001 3.0i gas LHD (pair of them: his & her)
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #32  
Old 10-06-2021, 01:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: BiH
Posts: 75
daki50 is on a distinguished road
I was able to turn on the fan with the diagnostics


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 10-06-2021, 01:54 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 296
X5chemist is on a distinguished road
Yes, I can manually activate the fan. Plus it takes 10+ seconds to spin down after turning it off when hot. I've not pull the refrigerant sensor off. Unlike others, it has to be emptied of R134. Luckily, I have the tools to do a R134 vac and fill.
__________________
'06 X5 3.0i - bought @143,123 miles (12/26/20)
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 10-06-2021, 01:58 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: BiH
Posts: 75
daki50 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5chemist View Post
Yes, I can manually activate the fan. Plus it takes 10+ seconds to spin down after turning it off when hot. I've not pull the refrigerant sensor off. Unlike others, it has to be emptied of R134. Luckily, I have the tools to do a R134 vac and fill.

Try disconnecting the pressure sensor on the air conditioning pipe, you don't have to remove the sensor


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 10-06-2021, 02:02 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Woodinville, WA
Posts: 62
Corellian Corvette is on a distinguished road
Hey so I experienced this problem and found the issue searching other forums. I'll see if I can find those links, but bear with me.

BMW AC compressors of this era have a mechanical valve inside that can fail, and make diagnosing the problem impossible. The compressor clutch will turn on, but the AC will blow warm until you rev the engine. Because the system thinks the AC is working, you'll see a bunch of electrical anomalies since the pressures aren't what the system expects.

So if your problem is that the clutch is engaging, but you don't have cold air until/unless you rev the engine OR it takes a long time to cool off, this valve inside the compressor is bad and the compressor needs to be replaced.

Diagnosis of this problem is almost impossible since it's a physical valve inside the compressor so no error of this problem will show up in the scanner.

I'll see if I can find a link to the thread that explains this better. But long story short you need a new compressor.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 10-06-2021, 02:08 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: BiH
Posts: 75
daki50 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corellian Corvette View Post
Hey so I experienced this problem and found the issue searching other forums. I'll see if I can find those links, but bear with me.

BMW AC compressors of this era have a mechanical valve inside that can fail, and make diagnosing the problem impossible. The compressor clutch will turn on, but the AC will blow warm until you rev the engine. Because the system thinks the AC is working, you'll see a bunch of electrical anomalies since the pressures aren't what the system expects.

So if your problem is that the clutch is engaging, but you don't have cold air until/unless you rev the engine OR it takes a long time to cool off, this valve inside the compressor is bad and the compressor needs to be replaced.

Diagnosis of this problem is almost impossible since it's a physical valve inside the compressor so no error of this problem will show up in the scanner.

I'll see if I can find a link to the thread that explains this better. But long story short you need a new compressor.

It is not possible to replace the valve itself but the whole compressor has to?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 10-06-2021, 02:12 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Woodinville, WA
Posts: 62
Corellian Corvette is on a distinguished road
So look up "variable stage compressor" that's what is in these cars.

No, when that goes bad the compressor needs to be replaced.

It took me a LONG time to track this down because this problem is really common and most forum suggestions are to do a ton of diagnosis. I wish I had saved the thread.

But if your problem is as I described (AC blowing warm but system is full and cools of when driving or revving the engine) then the variable valve is bad and the compressor is definitely the problem.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 10-06-2021, 02:17 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: BiH
Posts: 75
daki50 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corellian Corvette View Post
So look up "variable stage compressor" that's what is in these cars.

No, when that goes bad the compressor needs to be replaced.

It took me a LONG time to track this down because this problem is really common and most forum suggestions are to do a ton of diagnosis. I wish I had saved the thread.

But if your problem is as I described (AC blowing warm but system is full and cools of when driving or revving the engine) then the variable valve is bad and the compressor is definitely the problem.

My problem is this: The compressor and fan will not start until the engine reaches operating temperature and I do not give gas up to approximately 3000rpm once. And then everything works normally while the car is standing and driving


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 10-06-2021, 02:19 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Woodinville, WA
Posts: 62
Corellian Corvette is on a distinguished road
Same problem. I found the post and it was on this forum. It even describes your issue where the fan doesn't come on.

A bad valve will cause these problems as well. You can see the post here (post 6). Replace your compressor.

https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/...tml#post879005

Last edited by Corellian Corvette; 10-06-2021 at 02:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 10-06-2021, 02:38 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: BiH
Posts: 75
daki50 is on a distinguished road
That could really be a problem, but I see on the internet that only that valve can be bought, I don't know if anyone did that here


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:21 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.