Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Arnott
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-14-2022, 05:26 AM
sit sit is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 13
sit is on a distinguished road
Prospective Le Mans EditionsOwner - UK

Morning,

Thought I would post in here as UK forum is dead with no recent activity at all, assume they have all moved onto FB

Anyway I hope to become the new owner of a 2006 X5 Le Mans Edition on Thurs this week, currently running a VW Amarok pickup but downscaling my motoring spend each month and needing a UK winter hack with the ability to tow saw me stumble upon this particular car.

Always loved the E53 and think time has been very kind to it, I owned an E70 a few years back which was a great car and served us well through a couple of tough (tough for the UK I should add!) winters.

So when the Amarok sold I started my hunt for a suitable replacement, we needed a 'family' car for trips to see family as my wife runs a Fiat 500 which is cosy at best. My daughter also has a horse and although we are currently in a no transport phase due to mysterious injury, there may be a point next year that I need to tow a horse trailer. We also live quite rural and most Autumn/Winters we get hit with water/snow which can make getting in and out quite tricky. I also like something I can do a bit of work on myself, swap stuff out and generally improve and restore to OEM glory.

Scoured the market for options and couldn't find much that ticked those boxes and started to consider an E53.

I love the Le Mans Edition for its 4.8is looks, would love a 4.8is however with petrol at £1.95 a litre its simply not an option. Friend of mine used to have a Le Mans in almost this exact spec and colour scheme and I know the 3.0D of this generation is pretty bombproof and takes the miles well.

Couple of questions -

Do all X5's have the 'hole' for the tow hitch if you pop out the plastic cover? If thats the case I assume that I would need to buy the hitch itself and have the electrics sorted?

The webasto diesel heater is such an amazing invention, I had it on a couple of previous LR and it was a joy in Winter. One of my cars had the heater fitted but no 'timed climate' option or remote fob, it was just there to support the engine when it got cold. Do all X5 have the heater fitted as standard and is it just a case of having the timed climate activated on the headunit?

Here is a quick seller pic -



Keep you posted on whether it all goes to plan.

Si
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 11-14-2022, 08:18 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 924
X5chemist is on a distinguished road
Sweet ride! Looks like it has aged well. Yes, X5s have removable hitch covers. Mine doesn't have a hitch. The panel is there to remove. I hope to find a factory hitch sometime. The harness is plug and play. A module and harness are required. The wiring is located under the right rear fuse box.
__________________
'06 X5 3.0i - bought @143,123 miles (12/26/20)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-14-2022, 08:34 AM
sit sit is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 13
sit is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5chemist View Post
Sweet ride! Looks like it has aged well. Yes, X5s have removable hitch covers. Mine doesn't have a hitch. The panel is there to remove. I hope to find a factory hitch sometime. The harness is plug and play. A module and harness are required. The wiring is located under the right rear fuse box.
Superb thanks for that, really helpful! Indeed I think time has been kind to it and having only had 2 owners from new I think it has been kept in fine fettle.

Si
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-14-2022, 08:54 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 924
X5chemist is on a distinguished road
A good set of instructions would be helpful.
__________________
'06 X5 3.0i - bought @143,123 miles (12/26/20)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-14-2022, 09:00 AM
sit sit is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 13
sit is on a distinguished road
Top man thankyou!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-14-2022, 09:06 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 648
Effduration is on a distinguished road
The US and Europe got different OEM hitches…and wiring..but all were made by Westfalia and are of very good quality. Well worth the effort and cost to find one.

Be sure to get an OEM hitch, correct OEM wiring and module. All plug and play.

Do not install an aftermarket hitch and definitely do not splice into rear hatch wiring.

I have removed and installed a few OEM E53 hitches… I get used hitches sand-blasted and repainted before I install them..
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-14-2022, 09:39 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,107
Clavurion is on a distinguished road
Like said get original towbar or the same Westfalia from PFJones. Wiring for the original module is there in the trunk.

https://www.pfjones.co.uk/bmw-x5-e53...le-towbar.html

All E53 3.0d models have Webasto from the factory. Without additional equipment it only works as additional heater when engine is running. This can be quite easily coded to work as a pre-heater and used from nav screen or MID unit depending which you have. There is also a possibility for remote control. The wiring from webasto to original receiver's location in the trunk should be pre-wired. Here is the remote set I installed on mine.

https://www.carsystems.eu/bmw-x5-e-5...ter,id568.html
__________________
E39 530dA -02 M-Sport Messing metallic
E53 X5 3.0dA -06 Sport Stratus grey
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-14-2022, 11:10 AM
sit sit is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 13
sit is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effduration View Post
The US and Europe got different OEM hitches…and wiring..but all were made by Westfalia and are of very good quality. Well worth the effort and cost to find one.

Be sure to get an OEM hitch, correct OEM wiring and module. All plug and play.

Do not install an aftermarket hitch and definitely do not splice into rear hatch wiring.

I have removed and installed a few OEM E53 hitches… I get used hitches sand-blasted and repainted before I install them..
Thats great advice thankyou, will look out an OEM hitch from eBay or owners group in the UK.

Si
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-14-2022, 11:11 AM
sit sit is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 13
sit is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clavurion View Post
Like said get original towbar or the same Westfalia from PFJones. Wiring for the original module is there in the trunk.

https://www.pfjones.co.uk/bmw-x5-e53...le-towbar.html

All E53 3.0d models have Webasto from the factory. Without additional equipment it only works as additional heater when engine is running. This can be quite easily coded to work as a pre-heater and used from nav screen or MID unit depending which you have. There is also a possibility for remote control. The wiring from webasto to original receiver's location in the trunk should be pre-wired. Here is the remote set I installed on mine.

https://www.carsystems.eu/bmw-x5-e-5...ter,id568.html
Also really helpful thanks ever so much, the webasto is definitely something I want to get activated on the nav screen.

Si
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-14-2022, 12:27 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,107
Clavurion is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sit View Post
Also really helpful thanks ever so much, the webasto is definitely something I want to get activated on the nav screen.
Bear in mind that the pre-heating uses interior blower and uses quite a lot of battery. AGM battery like Varta G14 will handle it better in the long run.
__________________
E39 530dA -02 M-Sport Messing metallic
E53 X5 3.0dA -06 Sport Stratus grey
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:56 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
© 2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.