Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Fluid Motor Union
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-29-2012, 05:51 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 10
WkboardATX is on a distinguished road
New Member- 5 speed 3.0- already having problems

First off I'll introduce myself to the board. I just bought a 2001 5 Speed Manual X5 to use as my daily driver. I am very familiar with bmw's as I have had several over the last few years and currently have an E46 M3 (Dinan Stage 3) as my weekend car.

Yes, I have already done a search on this issue...

The first 1000 miles of this car were great (except for the airbag light being on) , until yesterday when going up a VERY steep hill when the " Three amigos" (DSC, ABS, Brake lights) all came on when I made the shift from 1st to 2nd. I continued to drive the car and now the speedometer is no longer functioning either. (When I first start the car in morning it stays off for 30sec-1min before coming on, speedo continues to work for a while before stopping)
A friend of mine here in Austin was kind enough to "attempt" to pull the codes with autologic but was unsuccessful. Both the ABS Module and the Airbag Module will NOT communicate with Autologic.
He was very confused and said it could take hours of diagnostic to figure out why this was happening. To me this further points at the ABS module?

What is the forums opinion of the next step I should take to resolve this issue? (I have already replaced battery today as well).

Last edited by WkboardATX; 08-29-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 08-29-2012, 06:24 PM
Roadkill's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Marin County, CA
Posts: 892
Roadkill is on a distinguished road
Possibly ABS module has crapped out.
__________________
2006 4.8iS Black/Black with custom Audison Voce/Image Dynamics sound
Production Date - 10/05
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-29-2012, 06:26 PM
TwinsPoppa's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 3,523
TwinsPoppa is on a distinguished road
Here's a thread to lookover.

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...r-problem.html
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-29-2012, 06:48 PM
mrbmwx5's Avatar
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Brownstwn,Michigan.
Posts: 4,793
mrbmwx5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WkboardATX View Post
First off I'll introduce myself to the board. I just bought a 2001 5 Speed Manual X5 to use as my daily driver. I am very familiar with bmw's as I have had several over the last few years and currently have an E46 M3 (Dinan Stage 3) as my weekend car.

Yes, I have already done a search on this issue...

The first 1000 miles of this car were great (except for the airbag light being on) , until yesterday when going up a VERY steep hill when the " Three amigos" (DSC, ABS, Brake lights) all came on when I made the shift from 1st to 2nd. I continued to drive the car and now the speedometer is no longer functioning either. (When I first start the car in morning it stays off for 30sec-1min before coming on, speedo continues to work for a while before stopping)
A friend of mine here in Austin was kind enough to "attempt" to pull the codes with autologic but was unsuccessful. Both the ABS Module and the Airbag Module will NOT communicate with Autologic.
He was very confused and said it could take hours of diagnostic to figure out why this was happening. To me this further points at the ABS module?

What is the forums opinion of the next step I should take to resolve this issue? (I have already replaced battery today as well).
I'm sure your rear wheel speed sensor on the driver side is death.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-29-2012, 08:39 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 10
WkboardATX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbmwx5 View Post
I'm sure your rear wheel speed sensor on the driver side is death.
This is what I think as well, however what about the fact that the ABS Module will not communicate with Autologic?

Since my original post the check engine light has also come on.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-29-2012, 09:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,735
SlickGT1 is on a distinguished road
Wow. Yea start scanning. I think you have rear speed sensor death as stated. Read codes for check engine. Erase and monitor them.
__________________
2006 4.8is, Black on White.

"The older we grow the greater becomes our wonder at how much ignorance one can contain without bursting one's clothes." - Mark Twain

Unlock OBC post 5
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-29-2012, 09:30 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 10
WkboardATX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickGT1 View Post
Wow. Yea start scanning. I think you have rear speed sensor death as stated. Read codes for check engine. Erase and monitor them.
I will be putting a new wheel sensor on in morning.

But still, Would a bad wheel sensor prevent autologic from communicating with the ABS Module?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-29-2012, 09:44 PM
TwinsPoppa's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 3,523
TwinsPoppa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WkboardATX View Post
I will be putting a new wheel sensor on in morning.

But still, Would a bad wheel sensor prevent autologic from communicating with the ABS Module?
You may have multiple things going on. Basically, change the sensor and re-evaluate. When you change too many things at once you may not know which change solved the problem. And you may have changed something that was not needed.

Changing the sensor may or may not solve your communication problem too. However, there's a good chance it will solve at least SOME of your problems.

Let us know your results after you replace the sensor and clear all the faults in memory.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-29-2012, 09:50 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 10
WkboardATX is on a distinguished road
By clear faults do you mean the CEL or do you mean using auto logic to see if it will communicate? Should the car automatically correct itself after install of wheel speed sensor?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-29-2012, 10:00 PM
TwinsPoppa's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 3,523
TwinsPoppa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WkboardATX View Post
By clear faults do you mean the CEL or do you mean using auto logic to see if it will communicate? Should the car automatically correct itself after install of wheel speed sensor?
I'm not familiar with autologic. However, I'm pretty sure most if not all OBD scanners have the ability to clear fault codes. There are different kinds of codes and some cannot be cleared/deleted until after a repair - like replacing a bad part.

So, typically you'll want to do the repair then go back and make sure you clear as many fault codes you can. That way you don't have to worry about addressing old faults.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:18 PM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.