Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Arnott
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 02-13-2015, 04:15 PM
Jungerishere's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 381
Jungerishere is on a distinguished road
Or the owner was in prison all this time and recently released. He drove the car hard because it is his fun car which he missed very much when in prison. He realized from sitting so long that all of the seals have failed and he decided to sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edogg View Post
Agreed - I'd be cautious of a car with really low mileage like that. There are only 2 likely scenarios:

1) The owner made lots of short trips and had a short commute. Cars like to be warmed up and run for a bit. Maybe the guy lives 2 miles from work and the car never gets fully warmed before he shuts it off. That's hard on an engine...

2) This was the owner's "fun" car, which sits a lot. Cars don't like to sit. And the owner ran the snot out of it having fun.

That said, if the car has been well maintained with regular fluid changes based on time rather than mileage and hasn't been "run hard and put away wet", then this could be a great find.
__________________
2004 X5 4.4i
2001 E46 M3
1995 E34 525i
2008 Acura MDX
1984 Maserati
2011 997 Turbo
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #22  
Old 02-13-2015, 05:48 PM
THE VEIN's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 813
THE VEIN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungerishere View Post
I agree that not driving the car isnít good for the car but how much damage it causes due to not driving the car is bit exaggerated. Ferrari owners keep their Ferraris as garage queen for most of its life so most have very low miles but they donít have issues with all the seals failing. And I wouldnít hesitate on purchasing F40 or Enzo with only 2k miles if I had the money. I have few cars that spends most of it life in storage and have very low miles. None of them have single leak. Car is low mileage once...
31 miles in 10 years is not really my idea of a garage queen... his son has probably driving the car back and forth in the garage or up the driveway
__________________
***The post above should be taken as the opinion of THE VEIN and should not be viewed as a representation of XOUTPOST.com***
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-13-2015, 06:50 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Washington
Posts: 357
edogg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungerishere View Post
I agree that not driving the car isnít good for the car but how much damage it causes due to not driving the car is bit exaggerated. Ferrari owners keep their Ferraris as garage queen for most of its life so most have very low miles but they donít have issues with all the seals failing. And I wouldnít hesitate on purchasing F40 or Enzo with only 2k miles if I had the money. I have few cars that spends most of it life in storage and have very low miles. None of them have single leak. Car is low mileage once...
My dad is a street rodder and only takes his rods out when it's not raining, which in Seattle is about 3 months out of the year.

He recently had some serious engine troubles in his '39 which turned out to be from the engine sitting while the car was being built and also sitting in the garage when the car was completed. Various seals had failed and there was some surface rust in the cylinder walls. He wound up needing to rebuild a Chevy 350 which had just been rebuilt a couple years prior because of it.

So now, even in the winter, he fires up all his cars to let them idle to full temperature. Then revs the engines for a little bit so that they run a little more. It's not as good as driving, but better than just plain sitting.
__________________
2006 X5 4.4i
Sport package, summer package, cold weather package, DSP + Nav
Bought 2/14 with 73k miles
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-15-2015, 05:09 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: reno nv
Posts: 492
x5Alpine is on a distinguished road
haha, I know I know, but I will always have a soft spot for the 4.6is. I love the M5 to death but the 4.6is will always be a special car to me.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-15-2015, 01:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Md
Posts: 43
jimme53 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by x5Alpine View Post
haha, I know I know, but I will always have a soft spot for the 4.6is. I love the M5 to death but the 4.6is will always be a special car to me.
No one could blame you. Estoril blue X5 are gorgeous.
__________________
2002 X5 4.6is Dinan S3
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-15-2015, 06:17 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 622
sunny5280 is an unknown quantity at this point
$24K might be too high. Despite the fact it only has 12K miles it's still a 2003. There are some things going for it but in the end it's still a 2003. I had a low mileage (35K miles) 1999 328i. When I sold it in mid-2010 it didn't command nearly the premium I thought it would. Later model years, with considerably more mileage, were selling for higher than what I ended up selling my car for. In the end low mileage is great but it's still a twelve year old vehicle.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-16-2015, 11:56 AM
TiAgX5's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Coppell,TX
Posts: 3,489
TiAgX5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
$24K might be too high. Despite the fact it only has 12K miles it's still a 2003. There are some things going for it but in the end it's still a 2003. I had a low mileage (35K miles) 1999 328i. When I sold it in mid-2010 it didn't command nearly the premium I thought it would. Later model years, with considerably more mileage, were selling for higher than what I ended up selling my car for. In the end low mileage is great but it's still a twelve year old vehicle.
This is the last year of a low production number performance BMW.

I've been looking at low mile, no accident, full history, manual trans, one owner '02 & '03 E39 M5s and 540 M Sports (same low production #s as the 4.6is). The asking prices are normally over twice the high book/best condition values.

The owners/dealers with these "best condition" vehicles know the right person is willing to pay more.
__________________
'03 X5 4.4 Sport, last of the M62s (8-03 build date)
I believe in deadication to craftmanship in a world of mediocrity!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-16-2015, 03:07 PM
Naz24's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,603
Naz24 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgX5 View Post
This is the last year of a low production number performance BMW.

I've been looking at low mile, no accident, full history, manual trans, one owner '02 & '03 E39 M5s and 540 M Sports (same low production #s as the 4.6is). The asking prices are normally over twice the high book/best condition values.

The owners/dealers with these "best condition" vehicles know the right person is willing to pay more.

There's a dealer out in Ohio (enthusiast auto group) that has a plethora of low mileage M cars and very rare BMWs with insanely low mileage. They are mechanics too. All the cars are super clean, but WAY overpriced.
__________________
NAZARIO
2015 M3 / 2012 X5M
BMWCCA



Kiss French, Wear Italian, Drive German
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-16-2015, 04:23 PM
TiAgX5's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Coppell,TX
Posts: 3,489
TiAgX5 is on a distinguished road
I actually contacted Enthusiast Auto Group about an '03 540i M Sport manual they had online last year, they were asking around double high book, turned out it was already sold.
__________________
'03 X5 4.4 Sport, last of the M62s (8-03 build date)
I believe in deadication to craftmanship in a world of mediocrity!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-16-2015, 06:09 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 622
sunny5280 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgX5 View Post
This is the last year of a low production number performance BMW.

I've been looking at low mile, no accident, full history, manual trans, one owner '02 & '03 E39 M5s and 540 M Sports (same low production #s as the 4.6is). The asking prices are normally over twice the high book/best condition values.

The owners/dealers with these "best condition" vehicles know the right person is willing to pay more.
I'm not saying the command some premium. But not as much as one would think. Sure...there may be a buyer willing to pay a large premium. If so that's great for both parties.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:52 PM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
© 2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.