Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E70) Forum
Bimmer Tool Rental
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-12-2019, 06:52 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Nevada
Posts: 93
Bmwfvr is on a distinguished road
My wife managed to lock doors with keyfob INSIDE the car.

So I never thought this was possible until it actually happened. Wife calls me at work, her keyfob is inside the car and the doors are locked. According to her, here is how it happened:
1. unlocked the doors
2. Placed her briefcase and keyfob on passenger seat.
3. Shut the door.
4. Went back inside the house to grab something.
5. came back, doors are locked and key inside!

We only got one keyfob when we purchased the car so luckily, the driver side window was not rolled up all the way, I was able to fish my hand inside and pull the lock knob up.

I am still scratching my head as to how this could have happened! Car "shouldn't" lock the doors if keys are inside. I even tried out of curiosity but i wasn't able to get it to happen.
__________________

__________________________
2007 BMW X5 4.8i
2013 BMW 535i xdrive Msport
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 04-12-2019, 07:31 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: New England
Posts: 589
josiahg52 is on a distinguished road
Do you have Comfort Access? I got notification of a class action lawsuit concerning CA and locking the keys inside the vehicle. Obviously, that shouldn't happen but apparently it can and does. Other then that system - it's mal-operation notwithstanding - there's nothing preventing you from locking the keys in the vehicle unless they're in the ignition slot. That is, a non-CA vehicle doesn't know where the keys are.
__________________
8/2011 X5 xDrive35d Sport, Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Fine Burr Walnut Trim
2/2001 M5, Jet Black, Exclusive Complete Black Walk Nappa Point Heritage Leather, Black Cubic Trim
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-12-2019, 08:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Nevada
Posts: 93
Bmwfvr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by josiahg52 View Post
Do you have Comfort Access? I got notification of a class action lawsuit concerning CA and locking the keys inside the vehicle. Obviously, that shouldn't happen but apparently it can and does. Other then that system - it's mal-operation notwithstanding - there's nothing preventing you from locking the keys in the vehicle unless they're in the ignition slot. That is, a non-CA vehicle doesn't know where the keys are.
I do have comfort access.
__________________

__________________________
2007 BMW X5 4.8i
2013 BMW 535i xdrive Msport
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-13-2019, 01:38 AM
ard ard is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sierra Foothills, California
Posts: 5,642
ard is on a distinguished road
Known defect with the BMW Comfort access system.


Scumbags refused to acknowledge same in their settlement.


Early on, a few owners had cars that opened windows and sunroof.... In response to rain. BMW insisted it was owners fault, that they must have forgotten. Nothing like a new car with leather interior and an inch of rain.


I had a 2010 w/o CA. When I got the 2012 I was forced to get CA, it was an issue for me- i just didnt trust BMW electronics/logic.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-13-2019, 02:30 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: New England
Posts: 589
josiahg52 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwfvr View Post
I do have comfort access.
I think I still have the letter in my burn bag. I can fetch it out and give you some pertinent information regarding the claim but I think the reply by date is past.
__________________
8/2011 X5 xDrive35d Sport, Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Fine Burr Walnut Trim
2/2001 M5, Jet Black, Exclusive Complete Black Walk Nappa Point Heritage Leather, Black Cubic Trim
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-13-2019, 04:53 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: EU - NL - Nijmegen
Posts: 35
BMTouring is on a distinguished road
I have to fobs, and did not know this. So I'm going to test this right away. A thousand antennas inside and outside to prevent this and still possible? wow.


Apart from that, there is (was on the E39/53, I seem to recall to have read that parameter in the E70 too) a function that locks the doors if inadvertentely unlocked. defined by doors unlocked, no door opened --> doors lock themselves after x minutes.



This one does not mix well with the comfort opening (keeping the button pushed to open all windows) as after you open it all to let out the hot air... after 2 minutes the car locks up and engages the alarm system. Including the interior sensor.



My tip for this: especially if you only have one fob, have a mechanical key duplicated (the one in the fob) so you can always open the car. Better to do so and have the alarm yell at you than to have to break something expensive to get to the fob.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-13-2019, 08:55 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: X5world
Posts: 277
smassey321 is on a distinguished road
My CA has been getting worse over time. Lately it has been locking the car if I touch the the rear door handle when pushing a rear door closed. Some people unplug the door handles to disable that function.
__________________
2009 X5d w/ AD, CIC/Combox
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-13-2019, 11:40 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Nevada
Posts: 93
Bmwfvr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smassey321 View Post
My CA has been getting worse over time. Lately it has been locking the car if I touch the the rear door handle when pushing a rear door closed. Some people unplug the door handles to disable that function.
I am starting to think perhaps it's a keyfob battery issue. So my theory is when battery is low, car may get a weak signal and falsely assumes that remote is not inside the vehicle. So when my wife shut the door she might have touched the top of the handle causing car to lock doors.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Xoutpost.com mobile app
__________________

__________________________
2007 BMW X5 4.8i
2013 BMW 535i xdrive Msport
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-13-2019, 03:16 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Nevada
Posts: 93
Bmwfvr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMTouring View Post
I have to fobs, and did not know this. So I'm going to test this right away. A thousand antennas inside and outside to prevent this and still possible? wow.


Apart from that, there is (was on the E39/53, I seem to recall to have read that parameter in the E70 too) a function that locks the doors if inadvertentely unlocked. defined by doors unlocked, no door opened --> doors lock themselves after x minutes.



This one does not mix well with the comfort opening (keeping the button pushed to open all windows) as after you open it all to let out the hot air... after 2 minutes the car locks up and engages the alarm system. Including the interior sensor.



My tip for this: especially if you only have one fob, have a mechanical key duplicated (the one in the fob) so you can always open the car. Better to do so and have the alarm yell at you than to have to break something expensive to get to the fob.
Yep i purchased one of those keyfob shells on Amazon for $10. Came with a key blade. Had it cut at a local locksmith for $25.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Xoutpost.com mobile app
__________________

__________________________
2007 BMW X5 4.8i
2013 BMW 535i xdrive Msport
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-13-2019, 05:56 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: on the edge of existence
Posts: 1,324
blue dragon will become famous soon enough
I have done it once in almost 10 years of ownership. I was at a DIY carwash in the winter. My phone inside the car. With the water hitting the door handles, the car would lock and unlock. I put the keys on the inside of the car on my seat thinking the car would not lock. It locked!!!


I had to borrow someone's phone and call my wife, so she could bring the second set of keys. It definitely is possible to do it. I tried to replicate at home, and the doors would not lock, or they unlock immediately
__________________


| '09 E70 X5 35D - Work horse | '17 F48 X1 MSport - Wife's daily | '17 F30 340i MSport - My daily |
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:26 PM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.