Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E70) Forum
Fluid Motor Union
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 08-10-2019, 07:16 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: New England
Posts: 620
josiahg52 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbie1 View Post
I wonder how I find out what suspension it does have. Iím already studying up on tires....��
Thank you.
Look at realoem.com. With the last seven of your VIN you should be able to figure out some info.
__________________
8/2011 X5 xDrive35d Sport, Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Fine Burr Walnut Trim
2/2001 M5, Jet Black, Exclusive Complete Black Walk Nappa Point Heritage Leather, Black Cubic Trim
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #12  
Old 08-11-2019, 01:02 AM
ard ard is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sierra Foothills, California
Posts: 5,692
ard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbie1 View Post
I wonder how I find out what suspension it does have. Iím already studying up on tires....��
Thank you.

If you look at your read out from the VIN decode, I expect you will see "sport suspension delete"? Yes?

Which means you have the standard X5 suspension.


If you buy an X5M (not an 'option', but an entirely differnet car) it has a different suspension. Not germane here, but to be accurate.


Also, if you specified the AD (option code 2VA) you paid $4000, for the adaptive drive.




(Of note, if the X5 was being sent out of the US, it didnt get the 'sport delete'. This drives some people nuts..."how come we get screwed here??!")


At some point (year) suspension options changed..I always forget when, but I know it was after I bought my 2012. (and I stopped paying close attention.)


Short answer is that there arent many choices, 90-95+% get the standard suspension.



HTH




Say, what tires are on the car now? if you say "Bridgestone Run Flats, why do you ask?", well then... we know that virtually ANY new tire will be better. But let us know
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-11-2019, 12:38 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Missouri
Posts: 17
Libbie1 is on a distinguished road
Yes....the car does have Bridgestone 255/50R/19 RFT tires.....amazing! I think I will add new tires to the budget. Any suggestions on what tires to get??
Thanks again for being so helpful...!!

Last edited by Libbie1; 08-11-2019 at 04:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-11-2019, 01:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Midwest
Posts: 6
X5dd is on a distinguished road
You need to get 20 “ rims I love 214s, it’s not a real x5 without that 315 tire in the back,
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-11-2019, 03:26 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: New England
Posts: 620
josiahg52 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbie1 View Post
Yes....the car does have Bridgestone 225/50R/19 RFT tires.....amazing! I think I will add new tires to the budget. Any suggestions on what tires to get??
Thanks again for being so helpful...!!
I think you mean 255/50R19. I had the Bridgestone RFT when I first picked up my X5. They were pretty rough for sure.

I'm currently running 255/50R19 Michelin Premier LTX on the SAP Style 335 9x19" wheels. They are absolutely fantastic tires. Probably the best tire I've used on any vehicle.

If you want run-flat tires, the Michelin Latitude Tour HP ZP gets good reviews.

In the winter, I run 8.5x18" Style 210 wheels with 255/55R18 Michelin Latitude X-Ice Xi2 tires.

In another 10k miles (or more) when my current tires are spent, I'm considering the Latitude Tour HP ZP or Michelin Defender LTX M/S. I also see no reason why I shouldn't just buy another set of the Premier LTX. The difference is, I'm ditching the stupid 19" wheels and going to 8.5x18" Style 446 wheels (from the F15) and 255/55R18 tires.

The advantage my choices have is that they can be rotated through all positions. Get excellent tire life that way. If you go with 20" wheels, you'll need the proper fender flares. The standard setup is staggered so no benefit of full rotation. You can run four of the front wheels which are 10x20"and use 285mm wide tires but you'll need spacers to make it look right in the rear. You'll have bigger wheels and be able to rotate them properly then.
__________________
8/2011 X5 xDrive35d Sport, Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Fine Burr Walnut Trim
2/2001 M5, Jet Black, Exclusive Complete Black Walk Nappa Point Heritage Leather, Black Cubic Trim
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-11-2019, 05:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Missouri
Posts: 17
Libbie1 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the good info, I have run Michelin’s on other vehicles and I agree, they are hard to beat!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-12-2019, 01:25 AM
ard ard is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sierra Foothills, California
Posts: 5,692
ard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by josiahg52 View Post
I think you mean 255/50R19. I had the Bridgestone RFT when I first picked up my X5. They were pretty rough for sure.

I'm currently running 255/50R19 Michelin Premier LTX on the SAP Style 335 9x19" wheels. They are absolutely fantastic tires. Probably the best tire I've used on any vehicle.

If you want run-flat tires, the Michelin Latitude Tour HP ZP gets good reviews.

In the winter, I run 8.5x18" Style 210 wheels with 255/55R18 Michelin Latitude X-Ice Xi2 tires.

In another 10k miles (or more) when my current tires are spent, I'm considering the Latitude Tour HP ZP or Michelin Defender LTX M/S. I also see no reason why I shouldn't just buy another set of the Premier LTX. The difference is, I'm ditching the stupid 19" wheels and going to 8.5x18" Style 446 wheels (from the F15) and 255/55R18 tires.

The advantage my choices have is that they can be rotated through all positions. Get excellent tire life that way. If you go with 20" wheels, you'll need the proper fender flares. The standard setup is staggered so no benefit of full rotation. You can run four of the front wheels which are 10x20"and use 285mm wide tires but you'll need spacers to make it look right in the rear. You'll have bigger wheels and be able to rotate them properly then.



Good advice.


Im biased with michelin. Have them on 5 vehicles.


I have the latitude HP ZPs on 19" rims, a 'square' set up (same size all 4 corners) 255/50-19. This means you can rotate front to rear.


Get an optimal alignment when you put tires on. See my signature over on bimmerfest for alignment. There is more to it than 'aligned' or 'not aligned'...but it isnt actually that hard.


Do you need the run flat feature? People get really (really) nutty about RFTs. Im happy with the mich lat HP ZPs (zp=rft)... but f you have a spare and dont need it, might not be a bad move. IMO it isnt anywhere as dire as the non-RFT crowd will insist.


https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/member.php?u=159669


Click on 'the definitive alignment thread'
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-12-2019, 09:12 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 131
spyro235 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by josiahg52 View Post
I think you mean 255/50R19. I had the Bridgestone RFT when I first picked up my X5. They were pretty rough for sure.

I'm currently running 255/50R19 Michelin Premier LTX on the SAP Style 335 9x19" wheels. They are absolutely fantastic tires. Probably the best tire I've used on any vehicle.

If you want run-flat tires, the Michelin Latitude Tour HP ZP gets good reviews.

In the winter, I run 8.5x18" Style 210 wheels with 255/55R18 Michelin Latitude X-Ice Xi2 tires.

In another 10k miles (or more) when my current tires are spent, I'm considering the Latitude Tour HP ZP or Michelin Defender LTX M/S. I also see no reason why I shouldn't just buy another set of the Premier LTX. The difference is, I'm ditching the stupid 19" wheels and going to 8.5x18" Style 446 wheels (from the F15) and 255/55R18 tires.

I bought a set of Defender LTX in 255/50-19 this past friday. So far, I love them. The shop had accidentally ordered my the premier LTX and looking at the tread, I decided to wait a few hours while they got me the defenders I wanted. I live in NJ, and occasionally jaunt up to VT/ upstate NY in the winter. I went to college in Syracuse... and I've always run dedicated snows. These tires are pretty meaty, and have a nice tread pattern to them. I haven't decided if I'm goign to run these through the winter, but I think I'll at least put them through one good snowstorm and see how they do. They have TONS of sipes and edges, and the lugs are spaced decently apart and the tread is pretty deep. They look promising.

I was debating between the defenders and the AS3+, and decided I'd give up a bit of outright grip to get the longer lasting tread, and slightly better off road grip. I occasionally romp around my buddy's farmland and never came close to getting stuck, but the DWS06 on there before were quite slick in the grass! I also use my X5 to highway commute 90% of it's miles, and tow 10% of the time, so I figured going the "light truck" option couldn't hurt.
__________________
'10 X5 35d- 243k mi, deleted and DUDMD stage 2, daily and tow vehicle
'01 330i- Drift car: SLR Super angle, BC coils- keep it simple
'07 335i 6mt - Sold @ 171k miles- stage 2 daily commuter for 2 years
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-12-2019, 04:09 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: New England
Posts: 620
josiahg52 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyro235 View Post
I bought a set of Defender LTX in 255/50-19 this past friday. So far, I love them. The shop had accidentally ordered my the premier LTX and looking at the tread, I decided to wait a few hours while they got me the defenders I wanted. I live in NJ, and occasionally jaunt up to VT/ upstate NY in the winter. I went to college in Syracuse... and I've always run dedicated snows. These tires are pretty meaty, and have a nice tread pattern to them. I haven't decided if I'm goign to run these through the winter, but I think I'll at least put them through one good snowstorm and see how they do. They have TONS of sipes and edges, and the lugs are spaced decently apart and the tread is pretty deep. They look promising.

I was debating between the defenders and the AS3+, and decided I'd give up a bit of outright grip to get the longer lasting tread, and slightly better off road grip. I occasionally romp around my buddy's farmland and never came close to getting stuck, but the DWS06 on there before were quite slick in the grass! I also use my X5 to highway commute 90% of it's miles, and tow 10% of the time, so I figured going the "light truck" option couldn't hurt.
I ran the Premier LTX through one winter about halfway through their life just to see how they would do. They compared very favorably to my dedicated X-Ice Xi2 snow tires. I would have no problem running them as my sole tire year-round but I like complicating my life. Combine their snow/ice performance with their eerie silence through almost 90% (still going) of their rated life, flawless wet performance, superb dry traction and great braking action. I have no complaints about the tire except I wish it had more of a rim protector on it.
__________________
8/2011 X5 xDrive35d Sport, Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Fine Burr Walnut Trim
2/2001 M5, Jet Black, Exclusive Complete Black Walk Nappa Point Heritage Leather, Black Cubic Trim
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-12-2019, 11:04 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Missouri
Posts: 17
Libbie1 is on a distinguished road
Thanks again for all info, much appreciated!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:50 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
© 2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.