Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E70) Forum
Arnott
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-06-2021, 08:14 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 15
randywei is on a distinguished road
Alarm going off on some mornings - already replaced hood sensor and IMS

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue.

About 2 months ago the alarm for my 2013 X5 would start to go off on random mornings. The car is parked outside and it seemed like the alarm went off around the same time around 8:20AM after the sun hits the car (but the alarm didn't go off every morning).

I had the hood latch sensor replaced, but the alarm still went off. I then noticed that if I disabled the Interior Motion Sensor (IMS) by double locking then the alarm wouldn't go off.

I brought the X5 to my indy and their AutoLogic read out that the alarm log was filled with entries saying the IMS was what triggered it. They replaced the IMS (the entire front ceiling dome in the front of the car), but the alarm STILL went off on a couple mornings. If I double locked to disable the IMS then the alarm wouldn't go off in the mornings.

Brought the car back to the shop and again it read as the IMS triggering the alarm. The shop is trying to get the IMS part warrantied for a new replacement, in case somehow the one they installed is bad.


Any ideas? Anyone else experience a similar issue?
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 07-06-2021, 09:08 PM
crystalworks's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SA, TX
Posts: 6,418
crystalworks is on a distinguished road
We have an issue where if we park the car nose down and out in the driveway, the alarm will go off a few times a day on bright sunny days (ambient air temperature varies and doesn't seem to change behavior). If we park it nose up, which sees less sun, we never have a problem. Ever. Strangely the same behavior is exhibited by our f15 x5. Have done no actual diag but the sun seems to be triggering a sensor somehow.
__________________
2005 X5 4.4i Build 04/05 Maintenance/Build Log
Nav, Pano, Sport (Purchased 06/14 w/ 109,000 miles) (Sold 8/15 w/121,000 miles)


2006 X5 4.8is Build 11/05 Maintenance/Build Log
Nav, DSP, Pano, Running Boards, OEM Tow Hitch, Cold Weather Pckg (Purchased 08/15 w/ 90,500 miles)

2010 X5 35d Build 02/10
Nav, HiFi, 6 DVD, Sports Pckg, Cold Weather Pckg, HUD, CAS, Running Boards, Leather Dash, PDC, Pano (Purchased 03/17 w/ 136,120 miles)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-06-2021, 09:36 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 15
randywei is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalworks View Post
We have an issue where if we park the car nose down and out in the driveway, the alarm will go off a few times a day on bright sunny days (ambient air temperature varies and doesn't seem to change behavior). If we park it nose up, which sees less sun, we never have a problem. Ever. Strangely the same behavior is exhibited by our f15 x5. Have done no actual diag but the sun seems to be triggering a sensor somehow.
That’s very interesting…I did flip the X5 direction around so that the tail was facing East, but the alarm still went off right before noon that day (first time ever that the alarm went off any time other than the 8:20-8:30am timeframe).

Oddly for me, this problem only started recently in the past 2 months or so. I’ve had the car since last September and have parked the car in the same spot and same orientation and the alarm didn’t start triggering until recently.

But it does sound like we may be experiencing similar issues where light/temperature may come into play.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-06-2021, 10:02 PM
andrewwynn's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 10,861
andrewwynn will become famous soon enough
You tipped off a clue that is huge and where to look:

Lock twice disables two things:

Internal motion sensor
Vibration/tilt sensor.

I'm betting something is up with the tilt sensor making it too sensitive and setting off the alarm.

Not sure if you can read how tilted etc with a scanner but that's the avenue to explore.
__________________
2011 E70 • N55 (me)
2012 E70 • N63 (wife)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-06-2021, 10:18 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 15
randywei is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewwynn View Post
You tipped off a clue that is huge and where to look:

Lock twice disables two things:

Internal motion sensor
Vibration/tilt sensor.

I'm betting something is up with the tilt sensor making it too sensitive and setting off the alarm.

Not sure if you can read how tilted etc with a scanner but that's the avenue to explore.
We don't think it's the tilt sensor because the alarm log read out using the AutoLogic only reports the interior motion (ultrasonic) sensor. Even after the shop replaced the IMS and cleared the logs, the new alarm log entries showed the same interior sensor.

See the attached photo of the alarm log readout. This was from before the IMS was swapped out, but the shop told me the alarm log post-IMS replacement shows 5 new entries of the same message.
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-07-2021, 09:11 AM
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: USA, Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 51
wfwright2 is on a distinguished road
Check the condition/health of your vehicle battery. Random alarm is one of first symptoms of low system voltage from weak battery. I have had same issues with both e53 and e70. New battery solved issue.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-07-2021, 09:45 AM
andrewwynn's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 10,861
andrewwynn will become famous soon enough
Alarm going off on some mornings - already replaced hood sensor and IMS

The sensor says ultrasonic but may also detect heat signature or something getting heated makes a noise. It's designed to not trip from a slow change but I suspect when it does trip the sun lines up just right to cause the problem.

Why didn't it to before? Because the sun's path changes though the year and didn't line up just right.

I'll bet if you watch how the sun hits your car you can see some magic alignment. You may be able to resolve as simple as a sun shade.
__________________
2011 E70 • N55 (me)
2012 E70 • N63 (wife)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-07-2021, 10:12 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 15
randywei is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfwright2 View Post
Check the condition/health of your vehicle battery. Random alarm is one of first symptoms of low system voltage from weak battery. I have had same issues with both e53 and e70. New battery solved issue.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk
Battery was replaced back in October last year...so it shouldn't be the battery.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-07-2021, 10:13 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 15
randywei is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewwynn View Post
The sensor says ultrasonic but may also detect heat signature or something getting heated makes a noise. It's designed to not trip from a slow change but I suspect when it does trip the sun lines up just right to cause the problem.

Why didn't it to before? Because the sun's path changes though the year and didn't line up just right.

I'll bet if you watch how the sun hits your car you can see some magic alignment. You may be able to resolve as simple as a sun shade.
I've been trying to monitor the sun's alignment, but odd that it didn't start showing up until 2 months ago when it's been parked in the same spot the same way.

Have been using a sunshade everyday ever since I got the car last year in Sept
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-07-2021, 10:41 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 15
randywei is on a distinguished road
I tried to monitor the sun and how it hit roof area near where the IMS is, but it looks like the car is actually in the sun for a good amount of time before the alarm triggers (when it triggers, since it doesn't trigger every morning).

I'm wondering if maybe some connection to the IMS is loose and when it gets cold enough, metal contracts so the connection becomes an open. Then when the temperature warms up (i.e. via the sun), the metal will expand and make a connection again and that trips the IMS.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:57 PM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
© 2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.