Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E70) Forum
Arnott
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-13-2013, 09:33 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2
dweintra is on a distinguished road
New member intro and quick wheel question

Hello...

I have read the forum on and off since last year. About 8 months ago I purchased a 2011 X5 diesel with a long list of options and love it. I sold an 05 Range Rover and for a while I missed it and had second thoughts about the BMW. In time I came to love the X5 and the fuel economy/torque is fantastic. I also love the Idrive interface and reliability (so far!).

**Now for the question: I have the 18 inch standard wheels. I wish to swap them with someone I met who has the 20 inch Y wheels. I want the sportier look and he wants better traction in snow, etc. His X5 is a 2008 4.8. We are trying to figure out if we can just swap the wheels whole or if we need to break them down and have the sensors swapped. I called Discount Tire and they think the sensors need to be swapped. I looked online and there is an online store selling the same sensor for both model years. Does anyone know? I called a local BMW dealer and they did not know off hand and no one who knew was available.

Thanks!

Don
Seattle, WA
BMW X5 Diesel
Noble M12 GTO-3R
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 11-13-2013, 09:38 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2
dweintra is on a distinguished road
..also does anyone know how long the batteries last in the TPMS sensors? On my wife's Carrera they were replaced under the certified warranty when they batteries started to die after 4 years. My X5 is out of warranty with 53k now. Wondering how long they last on the X5's so I know what to expect. thx
__________________
Don
Seattle, WA
2011 BMW X5 Diesel
2004 Noble M12 GTO-3R

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-14-2013, 02:52 AM
Orientexpress's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 23
Orientexpress is on a distinguished road
OEM TPMS Sensors are different from 2008 and 2011.
I bought a set of 18" wheels for winter which came from a 2008 and had to replace for my 2011 X5d. They are outlined in realoem as different part numbers as well.

There are some aftermarket ones which do claim to work for a range of years. I guess it is at your own risk.

I purchased rs teknic TPMS monitors initially before I went OEM. My wheel installer couldn't get them to properly fit the 18" rim so I ended up ordering a set of 2011 TPMS.
__________________
BMW E92 Pre-LCI MB
Vishnu PROcede V5 Rev.3 | Helix Intercooler | Vishnu DCI | Forge Diverters | AR OCC | AR Catted DP | Bastuck Quad Exhaust | Aero Front Lip | Mtech Sideskirts | BMW Performance 269 Wheels | RE 10mm Spacers | BMW Performance SSK | F1 Autohaus LED | 40% Huper Optik Tint | Rear Fog Light Mod | Forge DVs

BMW E70 LCI AW
Lux V3 Angel Eyes | Painted Front & Rear Reflectors | 35% F1 Pinnacle Tint | JDtoy Interior LED Kit | Rear Fog Light Mod |
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-14-2013, 11:08 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 279
PAX5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweintra View Post
**Now for the question: I have the 18 inch standard wheels. I wish to swap them with someone I met who has the 20 inch Y wheels. I want the sportier look and he wants better traction in snow, etc. His X5 is a 2008 4.8. We are trying to figure out if we can just swap the wheels whole or if we need to break them down and have the sensors swapped. I called Discount Tire and they think the sensors need to be swapped. I looked online and there is an online store selling the same sensor for both model years. Does anyone know? I called a local BMW dealer and they did not know off hand and no one who knew was available.

Thanks!

Don
Seattle, WA
BMW X5 Diesel
Noble M12 GTO-3R
You need the production date of your 2011 X5 diesel: if it was BEFORE 10/10 (Oct 2010), yours will use the same sensor as all e70's before that date. AFTER 10/10 BMW switched sensors. So if yours was built after 10/10, you will not be able to use the 08 wheels with the factory sensors.

See also BavarianX ... supplier of BERU TPMS sensors - an OEM supplier to BMW.
__________________
PAX5
BMW CCA #20645
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-14-2013, 10:50 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2
DamnLag is on a distinguished road
Not trying to steal someones thread but I also have a question about wheels. I have an 07 with the sport package. Will 18's fit on it for winter? I haven't found a definite answer anywhere.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-15-2013, 01:39 AM
1naztyx5's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: PA
Posts: 462
1naztyx5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnLag View Post
Not trying to steal someones thread but I also have a question about wheels. I have an 07 with the sport package. Will 18's fit on it for winter? I haven't found a definite answer anywhere.
yes they will fit with no issues, and this is the smallest you can go.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
"This is My X5 there are many like it but this one is mine"
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-15-2013, 05:28 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2
DamnLag is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1naztyx5 View Post
yes they will fit with no issues, and this is the smallest you can go.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks for the quick response
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-18-2013, 12:13 AM
4MoJoe's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 560
4MoJoe is on a distinguished road
I bought the RS Technik sensors off of eBay for my 2011 and they work just fine. I went to 20" rims and left the standard 18's with OEM sensors as my winter setup. I've had ongoing vibration issues with the 20's; they are not OEM and I regret putting the money into them. When I can afford it I will be going back to a OEM 20" set.
__________________
2007 328i Sport, Monaco Blue
2011 X35D - sold -Space Grey
2004 X5 4.4i - sold - Kalahari Beige
2001 X5 3.0i - sold - Pearl Beige
2006 325i Sport, Sonora Beige
2000 323i - sold - Sienna Red
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-18-2013, 08:25 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 279
PAX5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4MoJoe View Post
I bought the RS Technik sensors off of eBay for my 2011 and they work just fine. I went to 20" rims and left the standard 18's with OEM sensors as my winter setup. I've had ongoing vibration issues with the 20's; they are not OEM and I regret putting the money into them. When I can afford it I will be going back to a OEM 20" set.
Which brand 20" rims (style, model, size?) did you get? Pics?

Thanks for sharing.
__________________
PAX5
BMW CCA #20645
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-18-2013, 02:28 PM
4MoJoe's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 560
4MoJoe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by basora View Post
Which brand 20" rims (style, model, size?) did you get? Pics?

Thanks for sharing.
I got mine from eBay - the member is still selling them:

20" BMW x3 x5 x6 Gun Metal Wheels Rims E70 E71 E53 | eBay

[IMG][/IMG]

I was in a bind, I had bought a set of X6 wheels, had the rears bored out and then had vibration issues that wouldn't go away as well - think the shop messed the boring up. The vibration I get is about from 55 to 65. Honestly I love the look, but having 20" wheels here in Portland where the roads are just crap is pretty painful.
__________________
2007 328i Sport, Monaco Blue
2011 X35D - sold -Space Grey
2004 X5 4.4i - sold - Kalahari Beige
2001 X5 3.0i - sold - Pearl Beige
2006 325i Sport, Sonora Beige
2000 323i - sold - Sienna Red
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:09 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.