Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E70) Forum
Arnott
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-11-2014, 11:47 AM
edco's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Metuchen, NJ
Posts: 729
edco is on a distinguished road
2011 E70 came with square 18" RF set up. Do staggered 19's bolt on?

Greetings
My 2011 came with factory 18"s with run flats ( I think they are style 215).

Post winter, I would like to upgrade to 19s or 20s which mostly come staggered on the X6.

Can anyone confirm that these are a straight bolt on, and do not require any mods, nor will it change anything (maybe a little with the speedo), that will come back to haunt me later...

Also, even though I have run flats, I needed the extra security of a spare so I bought a "kit" which includes the donut, jack, and handle. In a pinch, could I run a donut with 19s or 20s for a short time?

Many thanks....

ed in NJ
__________________
His - 2011 X5 3.5i
Hers -2004 325 CiC
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 10-11-2014, 01:42 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 279
PAX5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by edco View Post
Greetings
My 2011 came with factory 18"s with run flats ( I think they are style 215).

Post winter, I would like to upgrade to 19s or 20s which mostly come staggered on the X6.

Can anyone confirm that these are a straight bolt on, and do not require any mods, nor will it change anything (maybe a little with the speedo), that will come back to haunt me later...

Also, even though I have run flats, I needed the extra security of a spare so I bought a "kit" which includes the donut, jack, and handle. In a pinch, could I run a donut with 19s or 20s for a short time?

Many thanks....

ed in NJ
19" or 20" OE BMW wheels will bolt on, but you have to look at:
- off set value of wheel
- center bore size (you X5 has 74.1mm CB)
- bolt pattern will be the same: 5 x 120mm

Your tires will be more expensive - $300 to $400/ea depending ...

If the wheels you are looking at came off a X6, they will have different size CB front and rear. You will need to modify the wheel (preferred method is boring out: from 72.56 to 74.1mm), or using "hub centric adapters" (less preferred method).

What style nr, brand and size wheels you are considering? Show pic or link if you have one.
__________________
PAX5
BMW CCA #20645
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-11-2014, 10:10 PM
edco's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Metuchen, NJ
Posts: 729
edco is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by basora View Post
19" or 20" OE BMW wheels will bolt on, but you have to look at:
- off set value of wheel
- center bore size (you X5 has 74.1mm CB)
- bolt pattern will be the same: 5 x 120mm

Your tires will be more expensive - $300 to $400/ea depending ...

If the wheels you are looking at came off a X6, they will have different size CB front and rear. You will need to modify the wheel (preferred method is boring out: from 72.56 to 74.1mm), or using "hub centric adapters" (less preferred method).

What style nr, brand and size wheels you are considering? Show pic or link if you have one.
Thanks
Here's a link to an example for sale on eBay: 20" BMW x5 x6 M Xdrive Wheels Rims Tires GTS 5 | eBay

ed in NJ
__________________
His - 2011 X5 3.5i
Hers -2004 325 CiC
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-11-2014, 10:36 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: canada
Posts: 51
scorpioy is on a distinguished road
Does off set value of wheel really matters? If yes, what size should it be for e70 none M type?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-11-2014, 10:37 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: canada
Posts: 51
scorpioy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by edco View Post
Thanks
Here's a link to an example for sale on eBay: 20" BMW x5 x6 M Xdrive Wheels Rims Tires GTS 5 | eBay

ed in NJ
In the link, it shows
Front Size: 20" x 10
Rear Size: 20" x 11

What is 10 and 11 here?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-12-2014, 01:21 AM
edco's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Metuchen, NJ
Posts: 729
edco is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpioy View Post
In the link, it shows
Front Size: 20" x 10
Rear Size: 20" x 11

What is 10 and 11 here?
Fronts are 20" (diameter) by 10" wide
Rears are 20" (diameter) by 11" wide

I may be wrong but I don't think it's X5 vs X6. The issue seems to be if they are "M" fitment the hub diameter is NOT the same front and back (and I am not looking to find a machine shop to drill the rears for the larger center bore.)

See the specific comments by the seller in the link below...

BMW E70 x5 E71 x6 20" M Double Spoke 299 Wheel Set | eBay
__________________
His - 2011 X5 3.5i
Hers -2004 325 CiC
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-12-2014, 09:03 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 279
PAX5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by edco View Post
... and I am not looking to find a machine shop to drill the rears for the larger center bore.

BMW E70 x5 E71 x6 20" M Double Spoke 299 Wheel Set | eBay
Very easily done. My local machine shop does it for $40/wheel with excellent results!

Different style wheels, but same Hub Bore issue(s). Check out All BMW wheel styles X | BmwStyleWheels.com for wheel selection and offset (ET) values.
__________________
PAX5
BMW CCA #20645
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-12-2014, 07:49 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 264
Jyohay is on a distinguished road
To correct the incorrect data:X5 e70 non M has 74.1 hub all around
X5M x6m and x6 non M all have 74.1 front but 72.56 rear.
Only the rear would need to be bored.


Fyi oem 19" e70/e71 wheels are also square.
Due to similar rolling diameters the change in speedo is hardly noticeable I wouldn't be worried about that
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-17-2014, 03:29 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 431
MRV99 is on a distinguished road
The e70 through its life cycle, has OEM rim sizes in 18", 19", 20", 21". If you are choosing an e70 X5 OEM non-M based rim then it will be a direct bolt on. The only small issue you will encounter is moving to the a rim size which is 20 or 21, the tires will extend past the fenders.

All of the OEM wheels have very similar rolling diameters and you will see very little speedo variances which most BMW's are 2-3 MPH on the low side it will not affect you.
__________________
2012 X5 50i ZAP(2VA, 336, 465), ZTP, ZPP, ZPS(6VC), ZCW, ZRC, 322, 4UB, 4NC, 610
2011 ///M3 Silverstone II
2011 X5 50i(lemon)
-- SOLD --
08 550 Msport
07 X5 4.8I sport
04 545i sport
02 4.4i sport
01 540I M/sport
00 SL500
97 SL500
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-17-2014, 03:36 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 264
Jyohay is on a distinguished road
actually i find that the 20"+ wheels do not extend past the fender.
with my 19" i was running a 25mm spacer in the back, which is still a lower offset than the OEM 20", a 13mm wider stance.
my 19" were just flush with that spacer.
the reason the factory requires the wider flares is bc BMW wants the wheel recessed by 10mm, like on all of their cars.
its standard practice to have the wheels inset, for safety blah blah.
most people get spacers to make them flush.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:10 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.