Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E70) Forum
Fluid Motor Union
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-29-2014, 01:00 PM
neilrmp's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 357
neilrmp is on a distinguished road
My Dream Garage

hey guys, I recently bought a house with a detached garage/shed, it is 12 feet by 32 feet and 12 feet high in the center, the previous owner had a concrete pad constructed to place it on which seem to be in spec for the installation of a two post base plate lift, I already put in a 50A 220V service and two 8 feet lights plus some 120V 20A gfci outlets, I want to get the atlas 8000 lbs BP 2 post lift because it is the only one I can find to fit inside at the price I can afford, hopefully I will have it done soon because I am too old to be going under my car on jack stand, and I can help out some of you guys that need to lift your car to work on it.
any suggestions are welcome.
__________________
We never have problems, we always need solutions
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 10-29-2014, 04:11 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 31
X5-ERROR is on a distinguished road
Congrats. Been looking at some all metal garages because my 2 car garage is only 8 feet tall. I'd love to have something like yours.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-29-2014, 04:30 PM
neilrmp's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 357
neilrmp is on a distinguished road
Thank you, but mine is more like a big barn shed, I love it anyway and I think it will get the work done
__________________
We never have problems, we always need solutions
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-30-2014, 12:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA.
Posts: 495
gregg3gs is on a distinguished road
I've been chasing the same idea.

What questions do you have?

I've looked up lift manufacturers installation manuals to make sure cement is thick enough and of the right density (before).

You should probably consider some sort of Air delivery. Weather for pneumatic tools or even to pump up your tires. I would also consider some sort of rafter mounted hose or power cord.

Finally, what about a nice rail system in overhead to later pull engines in and out of cars. Ok, so maybe I went a little over with the lift, but it will be in my garage.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-30-2014, 01:07 PM
neilrmp's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 357
neilrmp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregg3gs View Post
I've been chasing the same idea.

What questions do you have?

I've looked up lift manufacturers installation manuals to make sure cement is thick enough and of the right density (before).

You should probably consider some sort of Air delivery. Weather for pneumatic tools or even to pump up your tires. I would also consider some sort of rafter mounted hose or power cord.

Finally, what about a nice rail system in overhead to later pull engines in and out of cars. Ok, so maybe I went a little over with the lift, but it will be in my garage.

Good luck.
I am considering the Atlas 8000lbs 2 post lift beacause it is a little smaller and narrower than the others I saw, it is a perfect fit for my garage, putting the air delivery system you mention is a great idea, I will be doing that along with the engine hoist, everything I mention up to now I can do myself so I will save on cost, I also wanted to get a welder that can do maybe quarter inch metal so I can make some of the stuff I need, thank you for the suggestions I can't wait for this project to be done so I can start working on my X..
__________________
We never have problems, we always need solutions
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-30-2014, 03:17 PM
ard ard is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sierra Foothills, California
Posts: 5,678
ard is on a distinguished road
^I picked up a little Lincoln wire feed MIG welder with a CO2 bottle probably 8 years ago and Ive used the crap out of it. All sorts of little stuff, but literally HUNDREDS of feet of 4 rail pipe railing for barn; deck railings, antenna masts, etc, etc. Fixing broken tractor bits, etc.

Oh, one thing- people look at some of the projects and say "wow, you are a really good welder" to which I reply "I am a better grinder".

You want a 4" right angle grinder, all the usual blades, but also abrasive disks with 'sandpaper fan' type surfaces- it will polish a welded joint to make it look like it was cast.

For welders, look for something used - craigslist ideally so you can check it out and make sure all is good. Sometimes a store will have smaller units when guys upgrade their rigs too.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-30-2014, 05:21 PM
neilrmp's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 357
neilrmp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
^I picked up a little Lincoln wire feed MIG welder with a CO2 bottle probably 8 years ago and Ive used the crap out of it. All sorts of little stuff, but literally HUNDREDS of feet of 4 rail pipe railing for barn; deck railings, antenna masts, etc, etc. Fixing broken tractor bits, etc.

Oh, one thing- people look at some of the projects and say "wow, you are a really good welder" to which I reply "I am a better grinder".

You want a 4" right angle grinder, all the usual blades, but also abrasive disks with 'sandpaper fan' type surfaces- it will polish a welded joint to make it look like it was cast.

For welders, look for something used - craigslist ideally so you can check it out and make sure all is good. Sometimes a store will have smaller units when guys upgrade their rigs too.
thank you for that great info, I was thinking of a MIG/Stick or even an oxy acetylene welder, I love the TIG but it is so expensive, I will definitely check craigslist for some deals.
__________________
We never have problems, we always need solutions
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-30-2014, 08:03 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA.
Posts: 495
gregg3gs is on a distinguished road
Here is what I thought of as well.
Watch the video, it may seem unrelated in the beginning, until you notice the ... well you know.... about 6 minutes in.

enjoy!

Porsche 911: One Car to Do It All - YouTube

Ultimate Garage: The 7 Most Extreme Man Caves - DIY Garage - Popular Mechanics
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-30-2014, 09:02 PM
neilrmp's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 357
neilrmp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregg3gs View Post
Here is what I thought of as well.
Watch the video, it may seem unrelated in the beginning, until you notice the ... well you know.... about 6 minutes in.

enjoy!

Porsche 911: One Car to Do It All - YouTube

Ultimate Garage: The 7 Most Extreme Man Caves - DIY Garage - Popular Mechanics
wow. I see what you mean, I love the fold in tools table, I think I will try to make something similar, that is a small but amazing garage, thank you for sharing..
__________________
We never have problems, we always need solutions
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-12-2014, 10:41 AM
Ricky Bobby's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 9,332
Ricky Bobby will become famous soon enough
Congrats Neil! Been a long time I wish you the best, your garage sounds awesome! You still in Dunellen?
__________________
2003 X5 3.0i 5-Speed - Born on 9/18/2003
105k miles -Topaz Blue/Schwarz/Titan Int. Trim/EHCII/Sport
Proud 3-Pedal owner, UUC SS/AFE/4.8iS Exhaust/Sharked
2013 X5 35D (CEO's) - Born on 5/17/2013 -
68k miles - Alpine White/Cinnamon Brown/Premium Pkg, Sport Activity/Premium Pkg and Sound/20" Style 214/Running Boards

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:27 PM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.