Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E70) Forum
Bimmer Tool Rental
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 12-31-2016, 07:30 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Carp, ON, Canada
Posts: 83
LightlyToasted is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
Did you also do the oil line o-rings that attach to the thermostat (P/N 17227800958)?
I chose to replace these o-rings, rather than risk having to do this job again. The dealer charged me $11 each for the o-rings. The old ones looked fine - not flat, hard, and brittle like the thermostat gasket.
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #22  
Old 01-01-2017, 07:18 PM
Xor Xor is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: San Diego
Posts: 9
Xor is on a distinguished road
I replaced the o-rings as well. As said above they're $11 each, but I wouldn't forgive myself if I could but didn't and it started to leak

Last edited by Xor; 01-01-2017 at 07:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-02-2017, 07:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Folsom CA
Posts: 64
Westlotorn is on a distinguished road
I installed new O Rings for sure, would not do the job without that addition. Way to much work to come back for a future leak.
Grinding down the Torx bit early would have saved me an hour or more. I fought it first before grinding down my tool, the tool is less than $10 to replace with one not ground down.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-03-2017, 11:33 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 265
Nanniepoo is on a distinguished road
My first response disappeared. Anyways, had a slow oil leak since October. When in for unrelated work (and before I even noticed a leak), dealer diagnosed leaking valve cover and timing cover gaskets. When parking the car noticed a significant puddle of oil under it Sunday. Had it towed to an indy, and they've diagnosed the massive leak so far as front left area of engine but we're not sure....so I think I'm in this club as well. Unfortunately I really really don't have time to do this myself, and from some of the responses, I don't think I'd want to either (not really useable garage, would be on jack stands in ~20 deg weather.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-03-2017, 11:34 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 265
Nanniepoo is on a distinguished road
Car had been leaking a quart every 2 months, not sure if that was the valve covers, this, or a combo. Really hoping just the oil cooler, and this will fix it.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-03-2017, 12:46 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: PNW
Posts: 424
Entropy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlotorn View Post
I installed new O Rings for sure, would not do the job without that addition. Way to much work to come back for a future leak.
Grinding down the Torx bit early would have saved me an hour or more. I fought it first before grinding down my tool, the tool is less than $10 to replace with one not ground down.
I have had to do this before. Hopefully the one I have that is already ground down is the right size for this job. I'll be tackling it next weekend... in the cold, as my E46 is taking up the garage.
__________________
2007 E70 4.8i
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-03-2017, 01:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Folsom CA
Posts: 64
Westlotorn is on a distinguished road
Mine is running with no leaks, now I find the AC unit is growling, could only hear it while in the garage with hood open. Another 2 days and $850. Grrrrrrr.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-03-2017, 01:43 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: PNW
Posts: 424
Entropy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlotorn View Post
Mine is running with no leaks, now I find the AC unit is growling, could only hear it while in the garage with hood open. Another 2 days and $850. Grrrrrrr.
The mechanical build quality on BMWs is pretty sad. I will probably look outside of BMW once I am done with my E70. I'm sure reliability is one reason BMW was passed up by MB in 2016.
__________________
2007 E70 4.8i
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-03-2017, 04:54 PM
BustedKnuckles's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 140
BustedKnuckles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
The mechanical build quality on BMWs is pretty sad. I will probably look outside of BMW once I am done with my E70. I'm sure reliability is one reason BMW was passed up by MB in 2016.
I feel ya.. I've had an E36, E46 and now my E70.. my 3 series were both great and I drove the piss out of them up to nearly 200k miles with only typical repairs for any vehicle with that kind of mileage. My X is a bit "special". I must say however that all of the woes I have experienced thus far have been with the motor. I've had a couple other issues with it that were "self-inflicted" (me being careless). And a few strange occurrences that only happened once and seemed to have fixed themselves. My door tweeter speaker BLARED static one day while the car was just sitting turned off in my garage. A couple minutes later it just randomly stopped and hasn't happened since. These cars seem to have their own personalities. I LOVE my X but sometimes feel like I'm driving a fancy, expensive, pretty, piece of shit with a luxurious interior and aesthetically pleasing exterior. And some of the engineering designs leave me scratching my head...

I've owned it less than a year though so we will see how things turn out in the long run...
__________________
2007 E70 X5 4.8i Sport Package
8x,xxx Miles
"My Precious" (Smeagol voice)
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-03-2017, 05:51 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: PNW
Posts: 424
Entropy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BustedKnuckles View Post
I feel ya.. I've had an E36, E46 and now my E70.. my 3 series were both great and I drove the piss out of them up to nearly 200k miles with only typical repairs for any vehicle with that kind of mileage. My X is a bit "special". I must say however that all of the woes I have experienced thus far have been with the motor. I've had a couple other issues with it that were "self-inflicted" (me being careless). And a few strange occurrences that only happened once and seemed to have fixed themselves. My door tweeter speaker BLARED static one day while the car was just sitting turned off in my garage. A couple minutes later it just randomly stopped and hasn't happened since. These cars seem to have their own personalities. I LOVE my X but sometimes feel like I'm driving a fancy, expensive, pretty, piece of shit with a luxurious interior and aesthetically pleasing exterior. And some of the engineering designs leave me scratching my head...

I've owned it less than a year though so we will see how things turn out in the long run...
Yep my E46 made it to 150k with routine maintenance. Your comment about the X being a shiny turd rings pretty true here (primarily only powertrain issues), but I couldn't imagine daily-ing a car without BMW interior anytime soon.
__________________
2007 E70 4.8i
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:06 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.