Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > Off-topic > Politics Forum
Fluid Motor Union
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 02-05-2021, 02:38 AM
ard ard is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sierra Foothills, California
Posts: 6,356
ard is on a distinguished road
Atheist.



But wholeheartedly agree it isnt for everybody. Its nice having religion (doesnt matter which) to keep the majority in line.




I'll let myself out now.....


Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #12  
Old 02-05-2021, 01:01 PM
motordavid's Avatar
RetiredBum & Semi-RenaissanceMan
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mtns of Western NC, & SW FLA
Posts: 16,803
motordavid will become famous soon enoughmotordavid will become famous soon enough
My Mother was a non practicing Jew but I did some Presbyterian Sunday school as kid, and some Temple in HS, mostly with my Jewish high school GFs.

As an armchair cosmology and astrophysics fan, the more I 'know', the less I know or 'get', and the known universe remains remarkable to me and incomprehensible to us...

I take a Pasadena on any organized religion, and follow none.

For those that find some comfort or 'guidance' in it, fine by me.

For those that proselytize or evangelize that 'God' is on their side, or one religion is 'the deal', I pay zero attention to.

My 50Cts from the atheist back bleacher...
GL, mD
__________________
Ol'UncleMotor
From the Home Base of Pro Bono Punditry
and 50 Cent Opins...

Our Mtn Scenes, Car Pics, and Road Trip Pics on Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4527537...7627297418250/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4527537...7627332480833/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

My X Page




Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-23-2021, 06:45 PM
Maruzo's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 834
Maruzo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Atheist.



But wholeheartedly agree it isnt for everybody. Its nice having religion (doesnt matter which) to keep the majority in line.




I'll let myself out now.....


Religion are man-made. There’s a school of thought that believes men’s obsession and devotion to a superior being who oversees / passes judgement/ cares for its subjects allows this such being to become real and have an actual presence.

In other words, the more you pray, the purer you’re devotion to such deity, the more real said god/ goddess becomes.

I have no proof either way, but I think there’s real world benefits to religious belief.

I also believe that religious belief mixed with political influences becomes less useful as a tool to bring improvement to our daily lives, and more as a tool for the people in charge of society to rule their subjects.

Here’s a link to The Daily’s podcast on the legacy Rush Limbaugh left behind:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000510150650

https://www.npr.org/2021/02/18/96892...who-died-at-70

In his decades spanning radio career he successfully combined conservative ideals, political influences, Christian beliefs and use of shock jockey to create a new form of political outlet that changes the way we receive political news and opinions.

The effect that the demolition of the Fairness Doctrine in the 80s had on the radio contents in America is also worth examining as well.
__________________
2003 X5 4.6is Estoril Blue, acquired March 2018
2013 128i M Sport 6 MT Space Grey daily driver
2010 535xi 6 MT Barbera Red

Last edited by Maruzo; 02-23-2021 at 07:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-23-2021, 08:20 PM
crystalworks's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SA, TX
Posts: 5,907
crystalworks is on a distinguished road
I... could not stand Rush Limbaugh. He helped change political commentary in a way that promoted violence and closed minds. There are guilty parties on both sides, but Rush is the one I remember the most even though I heard him the least when I was young. He got rich inciting the conservatives. But hey... I guess everyone's got their hustle.

That is all.
__________________
2005 X5 4.4i Build 04/05 Maintenance/Build Log
Nav, Pano, Sport (Purchased 06/14 w/ 109,000 miles) (Sold 8/15 w/121,000 miles)


2006 X5 4.8is Build 11/05 Maintenance/Build Log
Nav, DSP, Pano, Running Boards, OEM Tow Hitch, Cold Weather Pckg (Purchased 08/15 w/ 90,500 miles)

2010 X5 35d Build 02/10
Nav, HiFi, 6 DVD, Sports Pckg, Cold Weather Pckg, HUD, CAS, Running Boards, Leather Dash, PDC, Pano (Purchased 03/17 w/ 136,120 miles)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-25-2021, 10:54 AM
upallnight's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cook County
Posts: 7,280
upallnight is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalworks View Post
I... could not stand Rush Limbaugh. He helped change political commentary in a way that promoted violence and closed minds. There are guilty parties on both sides, but Rush is the one I remember the most even though I heard him the least when I was young. He got rich inciting the conservatives. But hey... I guess everyone's got their hustle.

That is all.




__________________
2006 Infiniti G35
2001 BMW 3.0I E53 X5 Build date 08/2000 SOLD
Lotus Europa 1970 Destroyed by fire
Lotus Europa 1970 S2 Renault Powered
Lotus Type 52 1970 Twincam Webers Powered
PORSCHE 911 Targa 1982 The Garage Queen
Audi Avant donated to Kars for Kids
BMW 525IT Sold
Audi 4000CS Quattro Sold
Jensen Healey Lotus Powered Sold
Opel 1900 Sold
Triumph Spitfire 1971 Sold
Triumph Spitfire 1968 Sold
Plymouth "Cuda" 340 Six pack SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-25-2021, 11:38 PM
AVB-AMG's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 179
AVB-AMG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalworks View Post
I... could not stand Rush Limbaugh. He helped change political commentary in a way that promoted violence and closed minds. There are guilty parties on both sides, but Rush is the one I remember the most even though I heard him the least when I was young. He got rich inciting the conservatives. But hey... I guess everyone's got their hustle.
My take on Rush Limbaugh was that he was the first and the foremost right-wing flag bearer for what today is recognized as the white supremacist / nationalist movement, in his position as a conservative talk-radio host. He deftly understood the power to giving a very controversial opinion on various topics would have on his audience base. He really did not care if what he said was honest or truthful or factually based, as long as whatever it was were sufficiently shockingly provocative, since that increased his number of listeners and hence, ratings. Some folks say that he gave voice to American conservatism. But I believe it was really more of a pandering to the far right-wing contingent in this country, that was based on hate-filled, misogynistic, ugly things that had no resemblance to the traditional, right-of-center Republican conservatism, that was believed in by my parents. I cringed when Rush Limbaugh would gleefully, publicly lambast women who stood up for their beliefs, along with people of color who demanded equal treatment under the law, or non-Christian immigrants who came to America looking for a better life for themselves and their children. While death is nothing to cheer, I certainly will not miss him….

AVB-AMG
__________________

My current & recent car history:
2020 BMW 440i xDrive Coupe (Wife's daily driver)
2016 BMW X5M (My daily driver)
2014 BMW M6 Coupe (gone)
2013 BWM 335i xDrive Coupe (gone)
2011 BMW 335xi turbo coupe (gone)
2007 Mercedes-Benz ML63 AMG (gone)
2007 BMW 335ci twin turbo coupe (gone)
2004 Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG (gone)
2004 BMW X5 4.4i (w/full Aero Kit - gone)
2001 BMW X5 4.4i (w/full Aero Kit - gone)
2000 Mercedes-Benz E430 Sport (gone)
1961 Mercedes-Benz 190SL (owned for 46 years)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-26-2021, 11:46 AM
Maruzo's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 834
Maruzo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVB-AMG View Post
My take on Rush Limbaugh was that he was the first and the foremost right-wing flag bearer for what today is recognized as the white supremacist / nationalist movement, in his position as a conservative talk-radio host. He deftly understood the power to giving a very controversial opinion on various topics would have on his audience base. He really did not care if what he said was honest or truthful or factually based, as long as whatever it was were sufficiently shockingly provocative, since that increased his number of listeners and hence, ratings. Some folks say that he gave voice to American conservatism. But I believe it was really more of a pandering to the far right-wing contingent in this country, that was based on hate-filled, misogynistic, ugly things that had no resemblance to the traditional, right-of-center Republican conservatism, that was believed in by my parents. I cringed when Rush Limbaugh would gleefully, publicly lambast women who stood up for their beliefs, along with people of color who demanded equal treatment under the law, or non-Christian immigrants who came to America looking for a better life for themselves and their children. While death is nothing to cheer, I certainly will not miss him….

AVB-AMG
The NPR article I linked came to a very similar conclusion about the effect Rush Limbaugh had on his listeners.

I don't know much about him at all, never once listened to his radio show. Political talk shows on the radio isn't my go to when i'm driving to work in the morning. More of a hip hop/ love song kinda guy.

I do believe he's left a pretty serious imprint on the American Psyche. I doubt we've become a better society because of his influences, nor the influences of the countless imitators who models their style of talk show after his formula.
__________________
2003 X5 4.6is Estoril Blue, acquired March 2018
2013 128i M Sport 6 MT Space Grey daily driver
2010 535xi 6 MT Barbera Red

Last edited by Maruzo; 02-26-2021 at 11:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-03-2021, 10:31 AM
AVB-AMG's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 179
AVB-AMG is on a distinguished road
Evangelical Christians & Israel

The key to this relationship is the support by U.S. Evangelical Christians and religious Jewish settlers in the West Bank. These Evangelical Christian directly and indirectly subsidize them by providing money to assist these Jewish settlers in their take over of the West Bank. In return, in their mindset, these Evangelicals move closer to fulfilling the prophecy that many of them adhere to, that the Second Coming of Christ cannot happen without the return of the diaspora Jews to the Holy Land. The amazing thing about this unusual relationship is that each side thinks that they are tricking and using the other side. A real sad aspect of this Evangelical Christian fund raising is that so many of its adherents are some of the poorest people in America who can least afford to spare what money they do have. It also ignores that most Israelis and Palestinians desire to live in peace with each other. What these Evangelical Christians seem to forget is that the Israelis are people, with a present and future, not just a section of the Bible.
__________________

My current & recent car history:
2020 BMW 440i xDrive Coupe (Wife's daily driver)
2016 BMW X5M (My daily driver)
2014 BMW M6 Coupe (gone)
2013 BWM 335i xDrive Coupe (gone)
2011 BMW 335xi turbo coupe (gone)
2007 Mercedes-Benz ML63 AMG (gone)
2007 BMW 335ci twin turbo coupe (gone)
2004 Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG (gone)
2004 BMW X5 4.4i (w/full Aero Kit - gone)
2001 BMW X5 4.4i (w/full Aero Kit - gone)
2000 Mercedes-Benz E430 Sport (gone)
1961 Mercedes-Benz 190SL (owned for 46 years)
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-03-2021, 12:26 PM
crystalworks's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SA, TX
Posts: 5,907
crystalworks is on a distinguished road
I know nothing about the connection between the Israel and evangelicals.

But whole-heartedly agree that those supporting those churches are the ones that can least afford it. But that's a tenet of the faith (tithes) so I understand why it happens. The Joel Oelsteens of the world use that to their benefit and amass great wealth. But again, I guess everyone's got their hustle. Were I a person of faith, I would attend a small church and tithe to them rather than a "mega church." Though the status symbol associated with the mega church is part of their draw I suppose.
__________________
2005 X5 4.4i Build 04/05 Maintenance/Build Log
Nav, Pano, Sport (Purchased 06/14 w/ 109,000 miles) (Sold 8/15 w/121,000 miles)


2006 X5 4.8is Build 11/05 Maintenance/Build Log
Nav, DSP, Pano, Running Boards, OEM Tow Hitch, Cold Weather Pckg (Purchased 08/15 w/ 90,500 miles)

2010 X5 35d Build 02/10
Nav, HiFi, 6 DVD, Sports Pckg, Cold Weather Pckg, HUD, CAS, Running Boards, Leather Dash, PDC, Pano (Purchased 03/17 w/ 136,120 miles)
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-03-2021, 02:29 PM
Maruzo's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 834
Maruzo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalworks View Post
I know nothing about the connection between the Israel and evangelicals.

But whole-heartedly agree that those supporting those churches are the ones that can least afford it. But that's a tenet of the faith (tithes) so I understand why it happens. The Joel Oelsteens of the world use that to their benefit and amass great wealth. But again, I guess everyone's got their hustle. Were I a person of faith, I would attend a small church and tithe to them rather than a "mega church." Though the status symbol associated with the mega church is part of their draw I suppose.
That's an interesting take. Chinese goes to "mega" buddist temples, or the temples that are the oldest and with the most faithful patrons. The reputation of these mega place of worship attract massive followings and they gather massive weath.

I believe that the more people that believe in a particular diety/ god, the greater the influence of said god.

Even if that god was only a figment of our imagination. The power of faith, gathered in a massive scale, can accomplish wonders.

Whether or not that wonder is created by supernatural beings remains to be seen.

But I believe the power of faith is a tangible force that can either do good or evil in a large scale. It all boils down to the people that are in charge of these power. Like the Pope of the Vaticans.
__________________
2003 X5 4.6is Estoril Blue, acquired March 2018
2013 128i M Sport 6 MT Space Grey daily driver
2010 535xi 6 MT Barbera Red
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:21 PM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
© 2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.