Xoutpost.com

Xoutpost.com (https://xoutpost.com/forums.php)
-   X5 (E53) Forum (https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x5-e53-forum/)
-   -   A/C Quit -- new compressor, or is clutch replaceable? (https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x5-e53-forum/100925-c-quit-new-compressor-clutch-replaceable.html)

e30mpower 06-13-2015 04:03 AM

A/C Quit -- new compressor, or is clutch replaceable?
 
Here's my code courtesy of DIS. http://i.imgur.com/MKzt30L.jpg

Can I replace just the clutch or is the whole compressor shot?

upallnight 06-13-2015 08:32 AM

Clutch can be replaced, but it will be easier if the compressor is removed from the car to do it. That will require you to take it in to a shop with the proper equipment to get the refrigerant removed from the system.

If I was going through all that work I would replace the compressor with a new or rebuilt compressor. I would not cheap out by using a used compressor.

axgordon 06-13-2015 10:01 AM

I had exactly same situation two years ago with my 2003 3.0. Was able to fix without removing compressor from the car! Please stand by. I will post pictures and explanation how I did this repair.

axgordon 06-13-2015 11:06 AM

3 Attachment(s)
As promised! This procedure worked great on my car, as well on one of my coworkers car. Both were 2003 with same type compressors. Please note that compressor shown in the pictures - also from 2003 3.0 which was replaced by the local shop for the same reason. I was to late to advise owner on this repair.

Steps:
1. Remove radiator fan and shroud
2. Remove splash pan
3. Remove AC belt
4. Unscrew torx bolt on the front of the compressor clutch and remove clutch plate. It comes out easily. Be careful not lo lose thin spacer washer / washers. Some may stay in the clutch plate and some may stick to the end of the shaft.
5.Remove snap ring that hold the clutch hub / bearing and pry it off. Worked off carefully using two large flat screwdrivers or small pry bars. Needs little extra effort here, but it will come out.
6.Pry off thermal fuse cover on the clutch coil. It will break in pieces. No worries here.
7. With exacto knife, scrape insulation from coil wires right next to the crimp connectors and solder piece of wire between them. Ignore / break / remove thermal fuse. You can safely leave without it.
8. Verify that circuit is restored using multimeter, or run DIS diagnostic.
9. Seal area with silicone sealer to prevent corrosion.
10. Re assemble compressor clutch.
11. Re-install belt, fan and splash pan
12. Enjoy working AC.

e30mpower 06-13-2015 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axgordon (Post 1041316)
As promised! This procedure worked great on my car, as well on one of my coworkers car. Both were 2003 with same type compressors. Please note that compressor shown in the pictures - also from 2003 3.0 which was replaced by the local shop for the same reason. I was to late to advise owner on this repair.

Steps:
1. Remove radiator fan and shroud
2. Remove splash pan
3. Remove AC belt
4. Unscrew torx bolt on the front of the compressor clutch and remove clutch plate. It comes out easily. Be careful not lo lose thin spacer washer / washers. Some may stay in the clutch plate and some may stick to the end of the shaft.
5.Remove snap ring that hold the clutch hub / bearing and pry it off. Worked off carefully using two large flat screwdrivers or small pry bars. Needs little extra effort here, but it will come out.
6.Pry off thermal fuse cover on the clutch coil. It will break in pieces. No worries here.
7. With exacto knife, scrape insulation from coil wires right next to the crimp connectors and solder piece of wire between them. Ignore / break / remove thermal fuse. You can safely leave without it.
8. Verify that circuit is restored using multimeter, or run DIS diagnostic.
9. Seal area with silicone sealer to prevent corrosion.
10. Re assemble compressor clutch.
11. Re-install belt, fan and splash pan
12. Enjoy working AC.

Hello, new best friend. On my way to grab a six pack and my brother for a fun-filled day of DIY. :bow:

upallnight 06-13-2015 02:32 PM

If you remove the other snap ring as seen in this picture, the entire clutch winding can be removed.

http://www.xoutpost.com/attachments/...e-img_4847.jpg

Your initial reply was that it can be done on the car, but the procedures you show in the pictures is with the compressor removed from the car and the repairs to the clutch done with the compressor off the car. I'm sure that it can be done with the compressor still on the car, but as I stated in my post it will be easier accomplish if the compressor was off the car.

axgordon 06-13-2015 02:54 PM

This is correct! Exactly what I did when I did original troubleshooting. It is little bit PITA to find right size snap ring pliers to fit there and use mirror, however it is doable. I was not comfortable to post this solution since I wasn't sure how long it will last. Today, two years and 35k miles later it still works!

X5only 06-13-2015 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upallnight (Post 1041305)
Clutch can be replaced, but it will be easier if the compressor is removed from the car to do it. That will require you to take it in to a shop with the proper equipment to get the refrigerant removed from the system.

If I was going through all that work I would replace the compressor with a new or rebuilt compressor. I would not cheap out by using a used compressor.

How is it easier if it requires removal of refrigerant from the system?

axgordon 06-13-2015 03:06 PM

@UPALLNIGHT - I note in my original post that compressor on the pictures is not mine. I did all work on the car without evacuation of freon. I went in garage this morning and took apart same compressor just take pictures. This compressor was replaced for a customer by local BMW shop this spring. I just get it from the metal pile to keep it as spare. It has same problem.

upallnight 06-13-2015 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by X5only (Post 1041326)
How is it easier if it requires removal of refrigerant from the system?

Obviously you never changed a clutch on an AC compressor. Doing it on the car is a bitch. Having the compressor on a work table make removing the clutch assembly a lot easier then working on your back underneath the car with limited room to work in.

Just connect a recovery machine and recovery tank and remove the refrigerant. Easy Peeze. Don't have a recovery machine and recovery tank, then you need to take it in to have the refrigerant recovered. I have a recovery machine as well as the tank, full gauge set and a vacuum pump to do AC work.

I think that most shop will charge you a 1/2 hours of billable mechanic time to have the refrigerant recovered. They will keep the refrigerant, not unless you want to buy the tank which is around a 100 bucks on ebay.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:06 AM.

vBulletin, Copyright 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved.