Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Arnott
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 11-05-2017, 01:48 PM
andrewwynn's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 8,161
andrewwynn will become famous soon enough
A 2000w motor could easily pull 4000-5000 w briefly at the initial start. When a motor isn't spinning it "looks like" a wire to a battery (basically a short). Once spinning the motor acts as a generator and pushes voltage backwards. Failures in the motor could cause a drop in the motor to generate that voltage which would cause it to pull more current.

Bad connection more likely to cause voltage drop and less current. You need to determine baseline: what is the normal current draw.

Are you seeing a spike of 400 then drops to 200 while cranking or does it stay at close to 400 the entire crank?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________
E53 / M54 2001 3.0i gas LHD (pair of them: his & her)
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #12  
Old 11-05-2017, 01:54 PM
andrewwynn's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 8,161
andrewwynn will become famous soon enough
https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/...arter-ivm.html

Read that. Normal reading should be 200-250A. Replacing the starter should be the answer. If the starter of taking twice the effort to start then it's pulling down the battery more than twice the design and will have a very hard time charging properly for the next start.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________
E53 / M54 2001 3.0i gas LHD (pair of them: his & her)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-06-2017, 03:10 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CYPRUS
Posts: 1,637
omodos is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewwynn View Post
A 2000w motor could easily pull 4000-5000 w briefly at the initial start. When a motor isn't spinning it "looks like" a wire to a battery (basically a short). Once spinning the motor acts as a generator and pushes voltage backwards. Failures in the motor could cause a drop in the motor to generate that voltage which would cause it to pull more current.

Bad connection more likely to cause voltage drop and less current. You need to determine baseline: what is the normal current draw.

Are you seeing a spike of 400 then drops to 200 while cranking or does it stay at close to 400 the entire crank?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Hoi, get a spike of 400a during carnking and only for a split second....and again as mentioned am curious if this is due to bad grounding or buggered starter or both.....
__________________
E53 X5 3.0d SUV prod.date 11/2004 eng.variant M57N Europe Right hand drive N
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-06-2017, 03:13 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CYPRUS
Posts: 1,637
omodos is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewwynn View Post
https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/...arter-ivm.html

Read that. Normal reading should be 200-250A. Replacing the starter should be the answer. If the starter of taking twice the effort to start then it's pulling down the battery more than twice the design and will have a very hard time charging properly for the next start.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks fella, these are my thoughts too....I don't drive it enough, so every 400a start and draw saps the battery, which probably explains when when i charge it on the CTEK evey couple of days it is happier and faster start (but not super fast an x3 i started that I know has same starter)
__________________
E53 X5 3.0d SUV prod.date 11/2004 eng.variant M57N Europe Right hand drive N
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-06-2017, 03:50 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CYPRUS
Posts: 1,637
omodos is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowz View Post
Noticed you have a diesel and I also found where others were seeing 400 amp draws cranking the same diesel motor you have with the same battery run down problems trying to start them at times. No solutions posted though.

One thing that could account for the draw would be your glow plugs.
Appreciate reply got it from a good source that if the plugs were playing up I would get plumes of white smoke on eventual ignition, and I don't....got a niggling feeling it is the starter , the 400am at ignition time is too high evn though it is for a spit second
__________________
E53 X5 3.0d SUV prod.date 11/2004 eng.variant M57N Europe Right hand drive N
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-06-2017, 03:58 AM
Crowz's Avatar
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,443
Crowz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by omodos View Post
Appreciate reply got it from a good source that if the plugs were playing up I would get plumes of white smoke on eventual ignition, and I don't....got a niggling feeling it is the starter , the 400am at ignition time is too high evn though it is for a spit second
Its probably the starter I found where those same people posted elsewhere and said replacing or rebuilding the starter fixed it for them.
__________________
Just BMW's - All cars and trucks was two pages long
1994 318is
1997 528i
2000 323i
2001 X5 3.0 auto
2005 X5 3.0 auto
2013 X5 xdrive35 Turbo
More are at my website

Aftermarket E53 Radio Install
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-06-2017, 04:38 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CYPRUS
Posts: 1,637
omodos is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowz View Post
Its probably the starter I found where those same people posted elsewhere and said replacing or rebuilding the starter fixed it for them.
Thanks fella will go along with my suspicions to a decent auto electrician and see if he can re-con the existing starter or if i can source one of below, searching online for the bmw oem number 12417788680 I get 2 versions, either with 9 teeth or 11 teeth, gonna be a bit of pain knowing which one without ripping out existing starter, suprised same starter can be found on the e46 x3 etc


RealOEM.com - Part Search


12417788680
Starter
2,0KW

From:
09/01/2002
To:
-
Weight:
4.130 kg
Price:

Part 12417788680 was found on the following vehicles:

3' E46   (08/2002 08/2006)
5' E60   (02/2002 02/2007)
5' E61   (11/2002 02/2007)
7' E65   (11/2001 02/2005)
X3 E83   (01/2003 08/2005)
X5 E53   (01/2003 09/2006)
__________________
E53 X5 3.0d SUV prod.date 11/2004 eng.variant M57N Europe Right hand drive N
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-06-2017, 05:44 AM
andrewwynn's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 8,161
andrewwynn will become famous soon enough
DC clamp ammeter on the cable at the starter will remove the plugs from the equation. A bad ground will reduce current you can eliminate that as a cause. You can also disable the starter either pull the start relay/fuse or disconnect the power cable and confirm the amp draw minimal to discount a dead short somewhere else.

You could just have a bad being or a problem with the brushes (worn down enough to contact to many commutator contacts energizing too many magnet fields at once. If it was my starter I would remove the starter, energize it directly and measure the current. Upon confirming it draws too much, I would take it apart and replace the brushes and bearings (if they feel worn).


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________
E53 / M54 2001 3.0i gas LHD (pair of them: his & her)
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-06-2017, 06:41 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CYPRUS
Posts: 1,637
omodos is on a distinguished road
Replies much appreciated thanks, so bad ground= no to causing increased amp drain at startup ,& so back to test drain at starter dreict and or test starter, as mentioned before on a handful of times in the years I have owned it the X has spun into life quicker than usual, and on testing a X3 that carries the same rated starter for sure it whipped into life quicker than my X5.
apologies for repeating all you said just my way of getting info planted in my brain
__________________
E53 X5 3.0d SUV prod.date 11/2004 eng.variant M57N Europe Right hand drive N
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-26-2021, 08:35 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: texas
Posts: 10
ftf19 is on a distinguished road
Does anyone have a diagram of all the grounds for a 2002 E53? It seems the more I read another new one pops up.
Thanks
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:59 PM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.