Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Arnott
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-27-2021, 03:38 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 6
santalopian is on a distinguished road
For those of you who have done clutch replacements...

Hi all, in a bit of a pickle here. First off, the car is a 07/2005 X3 3.0, 6 speed manual, 180k miles.

Posted here, because the x3 forum doesn't have much action.

Toasted the clutch and likely flywheel towing a 3000lb+ trailer; had to back up a steep incline with no room to turn around.

So, looking for a replacement clutch, but, it seems the X3 and X5 have particular "kits", according to this thread: https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/...6-6-speed.html

Perhaps complicating matters further, is my build date of 07/2005, so the kit recommended is 21207557880, rather than 21217528211 (only up to 03/2005)

It seems like all the parts in the kits are the same. If you click on the individual item in realoem, it shows multiple applications for the clutch plate, release bearing, fork lever, etc.

What, if any, is the difference?

Thanks in advance
Attached Images
  
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 10-27-2021, 06:10 PM
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Michigan
Posts: 397
ahlem is on a distinguished road
If you click on the part number on Realoem.com, it shows what it may supercede.
I'd check with your preferred vendor to see what they have listed.
__________________
2001 x5 3.0 (sold with broken motor), 1990 e30 M3, 1991 318is, 2002 325i, 2008 335i Dinan stage 3 6 speed,
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-28-2021, 01:15 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 28
vbelsky is on a distinguished road
The X5 clutch has a stronger pressure plate.
__________________
2006 X5 with M57 diesel engine, xDrive 6-speed manual, w sport package and tow package. Only one in the USA.
https://imgur.com/QQLUtJm
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-28-2021, 10:51 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 744
nick325xit 5spd is on a distinguished road
Don't be surprised if BMW has consolidated parts selections over the years.
__________________
2011 M3
2006 Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
2004 X5 3.0i 6MT
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo


Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-28-2021, 12:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 300
e39_touring is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbelsky View Post
The X5 clutch has a stronger pressure plate.
the pressure plate was the only part difference between the e39 & e53. I used the Valeo single mass kit, and I like it. Way simpler, cheaper, but it does give a hint of great rattle at idle with the ac on.
__________________
2012 xDrive35d
2001 BMW X5 3.0i 5MT
and two 1987 Corvettes - Callaway Twin Turbo and Guldstrand Grand Sport 80
Block Tester
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-28-2021, 02:50 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 6
santalopian is on a distinguished road
Appreciate the replies, thanks all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbelsky View Post
The X5 clutch has a stronger pressure plate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e39_touring View Post
the pressure plate was the only part difference between the e39 & e53. I used the Valeo single mass kit, and I like it. Way simpler, cheaper, but it does give a hint of great rattle at idle with the ac on.
Makes sense. It's the only part number that isn't visible on realoem.

Valeo is the most cost effective for sure thanks for the recommendation.

If I'm still going to be towing with this, a ClutchMasters FX100 would likely be better, just comes at double the price.

Can anyone confirm if the pressure plates are compatible in multiple vehicles, even if not intended for them? For example, could I use an X5 clutch kit in my X3, to get the stronger pressure plate which would likely help in towing. I believe this to be the case just not 100%.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-28-2021, 02:59 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 744
nick325xit 5spd is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by santalopian View Post
Appreciate the replies, thanks all.





Makes sense. It's the only part number that isn't visible on realoem.

Valeo is the most cost effective for sure thanks for the recommendation.

If I'm still going to be towing with this, a ClutchMasters FX100 would likely be better, just comes at double the price.

Can anyone confirm if the pressure plates are compatible in multiple vehicles, even if not intended for them? For example, could I use an X5 clutch kit in my X3, to get the stronger pressure plate which would likely help in towing. I believe this to be the case just not 100%.
My general observation is that stronger clutches aren't really going to be better if the issue is slipping the clutch due to awkward situations. I don't know that you get much, if any, benefit from upgrading.
__________________
2011 M3
2006 Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
2004 X5 3.0i 6MT
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo


Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-28-2021, 03:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 300
e39_touring is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by santalopian View Post
Appreciate the replies, thanks all.





Makes sense. It's the only part number that isn't visible on realoem.

Valeo is the most cost effective for sure thanks for the recommendation.

If I'm still going to be towing with this, a ClutchMasters FX100 would likely be better, just comes at double the price.

Can anyone confirm if the pressure plates are compatible in multiple vehicles, even if not intended for them? For example, could I use an X5 clutch kit in my X3, to get the stronger pressure plate which would likely help in towing. I believe this to be the case just not 100%.
I can confirm that the whole clutch packages are interchangeable between the vehicle series - just need the get the setup that matches your trans (5 spd vs. 6 spd), but the geometry will be correct.

If the clutch isn't slipping when it's engaged, a higher spring-rate pressure plate isn't going to make a difference. I think it will only affect the feel of the engagement, and I suspect the differences are very subtle. I could never find any information on the part # from my original pressure plate that I pulled off.

One other note on the Valeo, originally they had different surface areas on the clutch discs included with the kits intended for the 325/525 (less) vs 330 /530(more). I don't think they're still doing that, but good to check. I got my Valeo kit from Amazon Warehouse for like $190 - good place to check for them and easy returns if you end up with the wrong kit.
__________________
2012 xDrive35d
2001 BMW X5 3.0i 5MT
and two 1987 Corvettes - Callaway Twin Turbo and Guldstrand Grand Sport 80
Block Tester
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-29-2021, 09:50 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 6
santalopian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick325xit 5spd View Post
My general observation is that stronger clutches aren't really going to be better if the issue is slipping the clutch due to awkward situations. I don't know that you get much, if any, benefit from upgrading.
Makes sense. Just going off of what Spec, Clutch Masters and South Bend told me. More clamping pressure to reduce potential slipping when towing is my understanding. 1800 psi is stock and 2600 psi was the upgrade.

South Bend wouldn't offer a clutch for my situation as they said I'd need an upgraded pressure plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e39_touring View Post
I can confirm that the whole clutch packages are interchangeable between the vehicle series - just need the get the setup that matches your trans (5 spd vs. 6 spd), but the geometry will be correct.

If the clutch isn't slipping when it's engaged, a higher spring-rate pressure plate isn't going to make a difference. I think it will only affect the feel of the engagement, and I suspect the differences are very subtle. I could never find any information on the part # from my original pressure plate that I pulled off.

One other note on the Valeo, originally they had different surface areas on the clutch discs included with the kits intended for the 325/525 (less) vs 330 /530(more). I don't think they're still doing that, but good to check. I got my Valeo kit from Amazon Warehouse for like $190 - good place to check for them and easy returns if you end up with the wrong kit.
Thanks for confirming that they are interchangeable. Definitely needed to know this.

I'll probably go with the Valeo conversion if I stay with a stock style kit. Think it was less than $700 cdn shipped from Rock Auto. Canada's Amazon didn't have it when I checked today.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-15-2023, 07:01 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 854
lo_jack is on a distinguished road
Does interchangeability also go for flywheels? It's dodgy out there about what fits e53. You would think anything with an m54 and the same crank bolt pattern would fly. My 23 year old dmf is still in there.
__________________
2001 E53 3.0 5pd
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:49 PM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.