Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Arnott
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-10-2023, 10:46 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: France
Posts: 115
grounch is on a distinguished road
First gears are not happy

Hello there

Since i have the car i have that infamous jerk from 2 to 1 when coming slowly to a stop (red light or stop). Putting in S mode make it downshift earlier and almost remove the jerk.

Now i changed the rear tires couple of weeks ago.
I know, should change all the 4, but it was urgent before travel as the rear ones were shot and front ones still have around half thread - the difference probably comes from my old steering angle sensor issue which disabled the 4x4.

Since that (i don't think it was present before or very light) i have some weird feel on low gears (1 and 2) on very slow speed and low rpms, between 800 and 1500rpm.

It feels like micro gas cutout, or small jerks.
When putting more gas, no issue and the gears pass fine.
When driving at the same 800/1500rpm range in higher gears, no issue.
Seems to not happen when the car is cold.


Where could that come from, and how to get rid of? Do i really need to change the front tires as well? As it's a 2005 facelift model i understood that the 4x4 system is more permissive than the pre-facelift.
__________________
E53 - 2005 3.0dA
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 09-10-2023, 11:04 AM
EODguy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Saudi Arabia/Philippines/USA
Posts: 3,626
EODguy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by grounch View Post
Hello there

Since i have the car i have that infamous jerk from 2 to 1 when coming slowly to a stop (red light or stop). Putting in S mode make it downshift earlier and almost remove the jerk.

Now i changed the rear tires couple of weeks ago.
I know, should change all the 4, but it was urgent before travel as the rear ones were shot and front ones still have around half thread - the difference probably comes from my old steering angle sensor issue which disabled the 4x4.

Since that (i don't think it was present before or very light) i have some weird feel on low gears (1 and 2) on very slow speed and low rpms, between 800 and 1500rpm.

It feels like micro gas cutout, or small jerks.
When putting more gas, no issue and the gears pass fine.
When driving at the same 800/1500rpm range in higher gears, no issue.
Seems to not happen when the car is cold.


Where could that come from, and how to get rid of? Do i really need to change the front tires as well? As it's a 2005 facelift model i understood that the 4x4 system is more permissive than the pre-facelift.
Yeah.....

That's the seals in the transmission valve body (2-1 slamshift) it's not very difficult with a lift and the rebuild kit isn't very expensive (except for here...)

Some of the guys changed filters and oil plus reset adaptations, although this is one of those discussions like reusing stiffening plate bolts

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk
__________________
"When the Team Chief said.... You're trapped in a hole with nothing but a goat and a slinky, what do you do? Stubby said, I'm not sure but it won't end well for the goat...." ~(Overheard) Last day, Phase 3, Q Course
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-10-2023, 11:10 AM
andrewwynn's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 10,343
andrewwynn will become famous soon enough
Sounds like leaky seals in the valve body. People do valve seal repair, solenoid replacement or full mechatronics replacement to fix this issue.

I think you can monitor the valve body pressures with the likes of foxwell scanner and compare to known proper operation.
__________________
2011 E70 N55 (me)
2012 E70 N63 (wife)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-10-2023, 11:21 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: France
Posts: 115
grounch is on a distinguished road
I suppose this seals replacement involves opening the gearbox, so changing the oil?
The car is around 300k old, as I've read here and there a simple oil change won't be enough as it can unstick some old gunk and clog / kill the gearbox.


And btw in case of misunderstanding, it's not about the jerking from 2 to 1 to which i'm already used and living with, but about the bumps / shakes on low rpm on 1 and 2 which is new and more annoying.
__________________
E53 - 2005 3.0dA

Last edited by grounch; 09-10-2023 at 12:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-10-2023, 10:18 PM
EODguy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Saudi Arabia/Philippines/USA
Posts: 3,626
EODguy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by grounch View Post
I suppose this seals replacement involves opening the gearbox, so changing the oil?
The car is around 300k old, as I've read here and there a simple oil change won't be enough as it can unstick some old gunk and clog / kill the gearbox.


And btw in case of misunderstanding, it's not about the jerking from 2 to 1 to which i'm already used and living with, but about the bumps / shakes on low rpm on 1 and 2 which is new and more annoying.
Yes to changing the oil/filters along with the seals and solenoids. The fluids are NOT lifetime no matter what people say and there is no reason that new "clean" fluid will unstick gunk and you will have new filters to catch any crud your old plugged filters weren't getting before. The question comes down to whether you reset the adaptations or not after the fluid change and that's where people say the risk is for the most part.

I still believe your valve body is the culprit for both issues. The only other thing that may cause shaking is a torque converter that is dying, but it wouldn't be causing the 2-1 slamshift.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk
__________________
"When the Team Chief said.... You're trapped in a hole with nothing but a goat and a slinky, what do you do? Stubby said, I'm not sure but it won't end well for the goat...." ~(Overheard) Last day, Phase 3, Q Course

Last edited by EODguy; 09-10-2023 at 10:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-11-2023, 02:16 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: France
Posts: 115
grounch is on a distinguished road
So you say i should be able to do such complicated operation on my parking lot? I saw a lot of topics about this gearbox and I'm not really optimistic about that tbh.

What about the reset operation which never changed anything for me but maybe i was doing it wrong? Key on 2, gas to kickdown for about 40sec, lift gas start car, drive.
__________________
E53 - 2005 3.0dA
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-11-2023, 02:55 AM
EODguy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Saudi Arabia/Philippines/USA
Posts: 3,626
EODguy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by grounch View Post
So you say i should be able to do such complicated operation on my parking lot? I saw a lot of topics about this gearbox and I'm not really optimistic about that tbh.

What about the reset operation which never changed anything for me but maybe i was doing it wrong? Key on 2, gas to kickdown for about 40sec, lift gas start car, drive.
It's possible on ramps and to be fair, with instructions it's pretty much take old part out stick the part that looks the same in its place.

The reset you list is completely fake, the only way is with a bidirectional scanner like the Foxwell nt-510, nt-520 (not all models) or ista-d, etc.

I personally recommend the Foxwell since it is tough, easy to use and can stay in your car no matter the season.
50c-60c here and it has survived!

Remember that filling up the transmission is at temp, going through each gear and through the bottom of the pan!!

Use www.realoem.com and put your VIN into the system and it will show every part, bolt, etc allowing you to find the correct parts from more that just the dealership....

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk
__________________
"When the Team Chief said.... You're trapped in a hole with nothing but a goat and a slinky, what do you do? Stubby said, I'm not sure but it won't end well for the goat...." ~(Overheard) Last day, Phase 3, Q Course
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-11-2023, 03:38 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: France
Posts: 115
grounch is on a distinguished road
Yeah that sound a thing that i will wipe under the carpet and deal with if it doesn't worsen with time.


I have ISTA, and i've seen the Reset adaptation values operation but did not really wanted to tamper with.
Should i try the reset, or it could make it even worse?

It gave me those values but i have no clue if they are ok or not..

Clutch fill pressures:
Clutch A: 78.0
Clutch B: 184.0
Clutch C: 265.0
Clutch D: 170.0
Clutch E: 750.0
Rapid fill times:
Clutch A: 47.0
Clutch B: 23.0
Clutch C: 48.0
Clutch D: 0.0
Clutch E: 0.0
__________________
E53 - 2005 3.0dA
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-12-2023, 09:05 PM
haigha's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Machine
Posts: 1,423
haigha is on a distinguished road
04 N62 4.4 here, 44k original miles.

I recently replaced the solenoids, the four sleeves, the AT adapter plug, the mechatronics sealing sleeve, along with the usual items for a flush, the fluid, the gasket filter, the magnets, the fill and drain plugs.

This is the second time, the first was in 2019 when the o-rings on mechatronics sealing sleeve flattened and were leaking. I didn't drop the valve body that time. No reset then and no problems until recently starting on uphill and having problems engaging one of the early gears. The four sleeves were worn and the adapter plug was deformed. One of the solenoids wasn't sealed properly against the valve body.

After driving without resetting the adaptions and experiencing some rough shifts, I decided to reset them with my Foxwell 520 Pro. Now, I'm driving cautiously, not generally exceeding 2k rpm during the relearning process. I didn't see a way I could do the official procedure outlined in relearning without a closed track. The shifts are much better than before.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-12-2023, 10:15 PM
EODguy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Saudi Arabia/Philippines/USA
Posts: 3,626
EODguy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by grounch View Post
Yeah that sound a thing that i will wipe under the carpet and deal with if it doesn't worsen with time.


I have ISTA, and i've seen the Reset adaptation values operation but did not really wanted to tamper with.
Should i try the reset, or it could make it even worse?

It gave me those values but i have no clue if they are ok or not..

Clutch fill pressures:
Clutch A: 78.0
Clutch B: 184.0
Clutch C: 265.0
Clutch D: 170.0
Clutch E: 750.0
Rapid fill times:
Clutch A: 47.0
Clutch B: 23.0
Clutch C: 48.0
Clutch D: 0.0
Clutch E: 0.0
I am by no means an expert transmission guy but, I'd guess you are leaking between the D and E channels in the valve body leading to that high reading and 0 refill time (cause it's already full?) I hope RRRPhil sees this thread and chimes in because he is an actual transmission expert.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk
__________________
"When the Team Chief said.... You're trapped in a hole with nothing but a goat and a slinky, what do you do? Stubby said, I'm not sure but it won't end well for the goat...." ~(Overheard) Last day, Phase 3, Q Course
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:33 PM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.