Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Fluid Motor Union
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-11-2023, 05:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Workington UK
Posts: 82
Henrym3 is on a distinguished road
GearBox.

Today while driving with everything working perfect I come off a roundabout at around second gear speed when suddenly the X slips into 5th gear with subsequent massive slippage of gear. No lights/warnings. Pretty level ground so decide I can get home. About 1 mile later trans failsafe warning comes on. I get home and find reverse is good/normal engages fine no slip, select drive and straight to 5th. Battery is good no recent flat battery problems getting between 13.8 to 14v on gauge. Check codes.


This is the result. Can anyone pick fault with those solenoid readings or advise on where to start looking for the interrupted signal.
Readings were taken after clearing codes and moving backwards 10 feet and then forward.
Much appreciate anyone reading and look forward to your comments.


Sent from my iPad using Xoutpost.com
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 11-11-2023, 09:38 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Blackburn UK
Posts: 408
RRPhil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrym3 View Post
Can anyone pick fault with those solenoid readings.....
156mA is the minimum solenoid current (i.e. solenoid is off) and 780mA is the maximum solenoid current (i.e. solenoid is fully on). The exception to this is Pressure Actuator (i.e. solenoid) 1 which sets the mains pressure and this works the opposite way around. It defaults to maximum pressure when no current is applied. This is so the transmission can limp home in failsafe mode if the transmission loses all electrical power.

Your table shows Pressure Actuator 1 at 156mA, which you would never normally see unless the transmission were on wide-open throttle transmitting maximum torque. Usually, you would expect to see a much higher current than this as the controller modulates the mains pressure in proportion to engine torque to ensure smooth engagement of the clutches. This implies that the transmission is in failsafe mode (i.e. defaults to maximum mains pressure).

Pressure Actuator 4 controls the torque converter lock-up clutch, so 156mA on this solenoid just means the LUC is not activated (low gear/low speed). On the other hand, it could also mean the transmission is in failsafe mode as the LUC is deliberately not engaged in failsafe.

That leaves solenoids 2, 3 & 5. According to your table, solenoids 2 & 3 are fully on and solenoid 5 is fully off. This combination would normally arise only in 3rd gear but, even then, you would never expect to see 2 & 3 at maximum current unless the car was accelerating on WOT. Clearly, therefore, these values are not normal.



Phil
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-12-2023, 07:44 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Workington UK
Posts: 82
Henrym3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRPhil View Post
156mA is the minimum solenoid current (i.e. solenoid is off) and 780mA is the maximum solenoid current (i.e. solenoid is fully on). The exception to this is Pressure Actuator (i.e. solenoid) 1 which sets the mains pressure and this works the opposite way around. It defaults to maximum pressure when no current is applied. This is so the transmission can limp home in failsafe mode if the transmission loses all electrical power.



Your table shows Pressure Actuator 1 at 156mA, which you would never normally see unless the transmission were on wide-open throttle transmitting maximum torque. Usually, you would expect to see a much higher current than this as the controller modulates the mains pressure in proportion to engine torque to ensure smooth engagement of the clutches. This implies that the transmission is in failsafe mode (i.e. defaults to maximum mains pressure).



Pressure Actuator 4 controls the torque converter lock-up clutch, so 156mA on this solenoid just means the LUC is not activated (low gear/low speed). On the other hand, it could also mean the transmission is in failsafe mode as the LUC is deliberately not engaged in failsafe.



That leaves solenoids 2, 3 & 5. According to your table, solenoids 2 & 3 are fully on and solenoid 5 is fully off. This combination would normally arise only in 3rd gear but, even then, you would never expect to see 2 & 3 at maximum current unless the car was accelerating on WOT. Clearly, therefore, these values are not normal.







Phil


I much appreciate your input as the forum guru and forgive my ignorance but does this look like an electrical issue ie bad connection or a solenoid issue. Again much appreciate your input


Sent from my iPad using Xoutpost.com
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-12-2023, 08:48 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Blackburn UK
Posts: 408
RRPhil is on a distinguished road
There’s no indication that you have a solenoid issue. It’s more likely that the readings have come about as a result of the transmission going into failsafe mode. The question is, why?

How certain are you that your transmission is selecting 5th gear, rather than 4th? I ask because 4th gear is the default on the 5HP24 and this could be significant. If it definitely is 5th gear, then that would indicate a fault with your A-clutch.

Phil
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-12-2023, 09:04 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Workington UK
Posts: 82
Henrym3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRPhil View Post
Thereís no indication that you have a solenoid issue. Itís more likely that the readings have come about as a result of the transmission going into failsafe mode. The question is, why?

How certain are you that your transmission is selecting 5th gear, rather than 4th? I ask because 4th gear is the default on the 5HP24 and this could be significant. If it definitely is 5th gear, then that would indicate a fault with your A-clutch.

Phil


I have no evidence that it is 5th gear, just feels awful and obviously slips. More than likely it is 4th. I did a quick check of wheel speeds and the sensors all work and read same speeds if that helps.


Sent from my iPad using Xoutpost.com
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-12-2023, 09:10 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Workington UK
Posts: 82
Henrym3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrym3 View Post
I have no evidence that it is 5th gear, just feels awful and obviously slips. More than likely it is 4th. I did a quick check of wheel speeds and the sensors all work and read same speeds if that helps.


Sent from my iPad using Xoutpost.com


I should add the oil and filter was changed at 100k/150k and due again at200k currently on 176k. All parts are BMW.


Sent from my iPad using Xoutpost.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-12-2023, 10:05 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Saskatchewan Canada
Posts: 1,946
80stech is on a distinguished road
We are very lucky to have RRPhil!
__________________
1988 325is (purchased new) sold
2004 X5 3.0 2005 X3 2.5
2008 X5 3.0 (new to me)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-12-2023, 10:40 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Workington UK
Posts: 82
Henrym3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80stech View Post
We are very lucky to have RRPhil!


Arenít we just.


Sent from my iPad using Xoutpost.com
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-12-2023, 12:58 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Blackburn UK
Posts: 408
RRPhil is on a distinguished road
If you start the transmission from cold, will it shift normally for a few minutes before the fluid gets warm and locks into 4th/5th or does it go straight into 4th/5th as soon as you select Drive?

Phil
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-12-2023, 01:59 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Workington UK
Posts: 82
Henrym3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRPhil View Post
If you start the transmission from cold, will it shift normally for a few minutes before the fluid gets warm and locks into 4th/5th or does it go straight into 4th/5th as soon as you select Drive?

Phil


Straight to 4/5 as soon as D is selected. Just as a comment I have had paddle shift fitted for 5/6 years and 2 days before this happened they stopped working I just put it down to something that needs looked at. Just mentioned in case it points you to something. Cheers


Sent from my iPad using Xoutpost.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:32 PM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
© 2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.