Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Fluid Motor Union
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #15701  
Old 03-16-2023, 06:28 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 330
guntherrex is on a distinguished road
did a search but couldn't find any specific threads; I was thinking of adding some wheel spacers on the summer wheels, I was thinking 20mm front and rear? Who is going to dissuade me?
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #15702  
Old 03-16-2023, 08:57 AM
Henn28's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 768
Henn28 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriX5 View Post
We did a round trip to Toronto, ON and covered about 1200 miles in total. Pleased that the X5 ran perfect, only complaint was the loud squeal from my rear brakes on initial application. They are quiet at full brake pressure. On return I took them apart and checked that all is well. Lubed the back of the pads and chamfered the edges slightly. Improved things but the kids had about a 90 mile drive yesterday and this morning the noise is back. I will chamfer the pad edges a bit more next. Anyone have some suggestions what else to try?

I am tired of fighting the rear alignment, it refuses to adjust camber to less than 2.3. Toe is zeroed out pretty well but the winter tires are showing more wear on the inner shoulders than I like, not terrible but not perfect either. I want camber to be about 1 degree. The alignment guys recommended adjustable bushings for the inner lower arm but I haven't found any that I like. So, instead ordered adjustable upper control arms from Silver Project. It will take a week or two, I guess, before they arrive. Not sure about the poly bushings but I guess it will improve wheel control. Let's see how that goes....
I'm not too well versed on suspension terms and adjustments, but would that be too much positive camber? I always thought that the X5s suffered from excessive negative camber (tops of rear tires tilted in too much...I think), although my suspension guy tells me that the adjustment window for the X5 allows for a lot of negative camber. He simply cranks the rears as far positive as possible, which still looks like a tiny bit of negative in the end result. So far so good though on the tire wear on my Geolanders at about 9k miles.

Let us know how the adjustable arms work out. I recall a guy on the other forum doing this and one of them bent in short order, but it was on a 5 series perhaps and he could have been flogging the car!

On a related note: I'm sitting down to order new rear shocks and all the extras (guides, bump stops, washer-gaskets, etc.). I'm going with Bilstein B4s (touring), and will move on to the fronts after I get the rears done.

Also, can anyone remind me what the small hose fitting on the bottom front left of the radiator does? I recall a hose going from here, across the bottom of the radiator to somewhere, but not the specifics. I did a quick RealOEM look and its not obvious to me what that fitting and hose support. Thanks.
__________________
Current
Original owner 2002 E53 X5 4.4i to 4.6i swap
1993 Mopar 318 Jeep Grand Cherokee - original owner
2015 V6 Jeep Grand Cherokee - the nice car for my wife
Former
1972 Audi Fox
1986 Saab 900S
1996 BMW Z3
1998 BMW E36 M3 Sedan
2004 BMW E46 M3
2006 Audi A3 Quatro

Last edited by Henn28; 03-16-2023 at 09:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #15703  
Old 03-16-2023, 10:33 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Menlo Park, CA
Posts: 2,342
Fifty150hs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriX5 View Post
We did a round trip to Toronto, ON and covered about 1200 miles in total. Pleased that the X5 ran perfect, only complaint was the loud squeal from my rear brakes on initial application. They are quiet at full brake pressure. On return I took them apart and checked that all is well. Lubed the back of the pads and chamfered the edges slightly. Improved things but the kids had about a 90 mile drive yesterday and this morning the noise is back. I will chamfer the pad edges a bit more next. Anyone have some suggestions what else to try?

I am tired of fighting the rear alignment, it refuses to adjust camber to less than 2.3. Toe is zeroed out pretty well but the winter tires are showing more wear on the inner shoulders than I like, not terrible but not perfect either. I want camber to be about 1 degree. The alignment guys recommended adjustable bushings for the inner lower arm but I haven't found any that I like. So, instead ordered adjustable upper control arms from Silver Project. It will take a week or two, I guess, before they arrive. Not sure about the poly bushings but I guess it will improve wheel control. Let's see how that goes....
How old are your rear ball joints? When I had camber adjustment problems in the rear it was because the rear ball joints were shot. Replaced those and no further issues. Until I put coil overs in and lowered the truck two inches. Then I had to put in adjustable upper and lower control arms to get it aligned to spec.
Reply With Quote
  #15704  
Old 03-17-2023, 09:44 AM
TriX5's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,573
TriX5 is on a distinguished road
Ball joints

These ball joints are about 22k miles old. You are right tho, worth checking them. Might just do a preventive overhaul when installing the new upper control arms (which arrived last Wednesday, very impressed with the speed of shipping, six days! :-)
Attached Images
 
__________________
2003 4.4i black ext./black int./black headliner (kid's runabout)
2014 535d X-drive, M package, silver/black interior

Sold but not forgotten:
2009 E70 35d, black ext./black int./black headliner (sold 2021)
2006 4.8iS Le Mans blue/cream int./black headliner, SOLD in 2012 sadly...

Other hardware:
2015 Cayenne S (wife's new DD and definitely wroooommmmm)
2016 Tundra 1794 edition crew cab, luxo hauler
2005 Tundra crew cab, weekend hauler. Sold after 150k very happy miles.
Reply With Quote
  #15705  
Old 03-17-2023, 01:52 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Menlo Park, CA
Posts: 2,342
Fifty150hs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriX5 View Post
These ball joints are about 22k miles old. You are right tho, worth checking them. Might just do a preventive overhaul when installing the new upper control arms (which arrived last Wednesday, very impressed with the speed of shipping, six days! :-)
I'd be curious to know how you like those after you get them installed. I looked at them when I was buying my adjustable control arms, but chose to go with Megan.
Reply With Quote
  #15706  
Old 03-21-2023, 05:22 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Detroit Rock City
Posts: 226
sandbagger is on a distinguished road
Well, after a bunch of idle issues and a hunting and searching and a single miss step early on I have finally fixed it.
So its got a new Mass Air and Cam Sensors, and HAD a new Idle Air Controler, the old one was fine and the new one is bad, runs at 60% just to keep it at idle and causes all kinds of problems.

Glad that is fixed.

I think my front growling noise is now the right side support bearing, has anyone ever tried and or seen the part # for just the bearing? the whole housing with bearing and seal is 31507503115 but would love to just press what is probably a $30 bearing in it along with a new seal.
__________________
2004 X5(E53) 3.0L
1999 M3(E36)
2003 Z4(E85) 3.0L
Reply With Quote
  #15707  
Old 03-22-2023, 10:00 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Menlo Park, CA
Posts: 2,342
Fifty150hs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbagger View Post
Well, after a bunch of idle issues and a hunting and searching and a single miss step early on I have finally fixed it.
So its got a new Mass Air and Cam Sensors, and HAD a new Idle Air Controler, the old one was fine and the new one is bad, runs at 60% just to keep it at idle and causes all kinds of problems.

Glad that is fixed.

I think my front growling noise is now the right side support bearing, has anyone ever tried and or seen the part # for just the bearing? the whole housing with bearing and seal is 31507503115 but would love to just press what is probably a $30 bearing in it along with a new seal.
According to the info in RealOEM, it's not replaceable as a separate part. You could order the carrier get the size info for the bearing and order one, then return the carrier. Cost you some shipping, but $180 for the carrier, you might still come out ahead.
Reply With Quote
  #15708  
Old 03-30-2023, 10:21 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: NY
Posts: 112
bradb is on a distinguished road
Well, its happened.

I didn't take the time to put the 2004 X5 on the battery tender like I always do when traveling during the winter.

I came home after three months to a dead and locked X5.

Wouldn't be too bad except I cannot open the front doors from the outside.

What BDBH would do something like this?

He is typing this right now.

Have mercy.

Brad
__________________
Bradb
2004 E53 X5 3.0 6MT Sport
Toledo Blue Metallic over black
born 2-12-04 LB09220
Picked up 7-2-18 from Ziggy
BMWCCA 485746
2002 E39 525i 5MT sport Jet black / black
2002 E39 M5 6MT Carbon black / black sport
2003 E39 530i 5MT sport Stahlblau metallic
2004 E46 325ic 5MT sport triple black
2008 E60 M5 SMG Space gray / black
2015 F85 X5M Carbon black / black
Reply With Quote
  #15709  
Old 03-30-2023, 11:01 PM
PropellerHead's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: At the wheel of a Bimmer
Posts: 2,189
PropellerHead is on a distinguished road
Introduced it to a long-standing fantasy of the pressure washer-powered foam cannon. I need alone time. This was magic.


Of course, I wouldn't be f'ing ancient history old if I didn't include that when I went to store this where these things go, I discovered that I also had always wanted one of these in like 2018.... I obviously just forgot I had one..
Attached Images
   
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15710  
Old 03-30-2023, 11:47 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Menlo Park, CA
Posts: 2,342
Fifty150hs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradb View Post
Well, its happened.

I didn't take the time to put the 2004 X5 on the battery tender like I always do when traveling during the winter.

I came home after three months to a dead and locked X5.

Wouldn't be too bad except I cannot open the front doors from the outside.

What BDBH would do something like this?

He is typing this right now.

Have mercy.

Brad
You should be able to manually unlock the drivers door with a key.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:32 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.