Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Arnott
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #331  
Old 05-28-2021, 08:31 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,508
cn90 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskewel View Post
Have you had a California smog check with modifications like that showing yet? Any concerns or plans for when it is next needed?
i am curious too.

For those with this mod and go for smog test (such as California, Illinois etc.),
any issues with smog test?

My guess is that: it is probably OK.
__________________
1998 E39 528i 5sp MT
2006 E53 X5 3.0 6sp MT
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #332  
Old 05-28-2021, 09:46 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Menlo Park, CA
Posts: 1,807
Fifty150hs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
i am curious too.

For those with this mod and go for smog test (such as California, Illinois etc.),
any issues with smog test?

My guess is that: it is probably OK.
I'm going to be getting one this weekend. If they fail me because of it, I'll be going back to the stock system. The CCV is still there. I would just need to replace a couple hoses. I'll let you know.
Reply With Quote
  #333  
Old 05-28-2021, 12:08 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,508
cn90 is on a distinguished road
For those who went for emission testing, do you re-install the cosmetic cover
to hide the "Art Work"?

PS: I have never this (CCV Mod) being an issue during smog test.
All the smog stations care is emission pollutants, if the tailpipe output is clean,
then you are OK.
__________________
1998 E39 528i 5sp MT
2006 E53 X5 3.0 6sp MT

Last edited by cn90; 05-28-2021 at 12:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #334  
Old 05-28-2021, 02:18 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Menlo Park, CA
Posts: 1,807
Fifty150hs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
For those who went for emission testing, do you re-install the cosmetic cover
to hide the "Art Work"?

PS: I have never this (CCV Mod) being an issue during smog test.
All the smog stations care is emission pollutants, if the tailpipe output is clean,
then you are OK.
I put the cover on. I also used the factory elbow coming off the valve cover to try and keep it looking as stock as possible. Only thing that gives it away, besides the catch can hanging in the engine compartment are the non-factory hose clamps that are visible. I could have replaced those with factory style, but I was lazy.
Reply With Quote
  #335  
Old 05-28-2021, 08:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,508
cn90 is on a distinguished road
Sometimes I wonder the intelligence of these smog inspectors...

Let's say a driver modifies his/her car such as this.
Of course it is not factory (it is better than factory IMHO).

So what, as long as the tailpipe emission tests are good.
I understand why they look into the engine compartment: the purpose of this should be to look for broken hoses that can potentially contaminate the environment.
If the hoses are fine and all they see is a mod, so what...

If they ONLY focus on the tail pipe, then what we did as a mod should not matter...
__________________
1998 E39 528i 5sp MT
2006 E53 X5 3.0 6sp MT
Reply With Quote
  #336  
Old 05-28-2021, 08:30 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 101
Caryalon is on a distinguished road
In New York, they don't open the hood, just plug the computer into the OBD port.
Reply With Quote
  #337  
Old 05-28-2021, 09:51 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Menlo Park, CA
Posts: 1,807
Fifty150hs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
Sometimes I wonder the intelligence of these smog inspectors...

Let's say a driver modifies his/her car such as this.
Of course it is not factory (it is better than factory IMHO).

So what, as long as the tailpipe emission tests are good.
I understand why they look into the engine compartment: the purpose of this should be to look for broken hoses that can potentially contaminate the environment.
If the hoses are fine and all they see is a mod, so what...

If they ONLY focus on the tail pipe, then what we did as a mod should not matter...
This state requires them to look under the hood. I think if left to their own devices the smog guys would just hang the sniffer in the tail pipe and run the test. Less work for them.
Reply With Quote
  #338  
Old 05-28-2021, 10:09 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,508
cn90 is on a distinguished road
Also,

That is better too bc the bottom line is how much pollutants come out of the exhaust.
And they only way to test that is to hang the sniffer in the tail pipe.
__________________
1998 E39 528i 5sp MT
2006 E53 X5 3.0 6sp MT
Reply With Quote
  #339  
Old 05-30-2021, 10:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Menlo Park, CA
Posts: 1,807
Fifty150hs is on a distinguished road
Had my smog test yesterday. Passed. No issues.
Reply With Quote
  #340  
Old 05-30-2021, 11:23 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,508
cn90 is on a distinguished road
Did they (California) open the hood to look at your "art work"?
__________________
1998 E39 528i 5sp MT
2006 E53 X5 3.0 6sp MT
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
ccv, oil separator, pcv, vacuum, ventilation

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:18 PM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.