Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Arnott
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #281  
Old 06-08-2020, 11:10 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Saskatchewan Canada
Posts: 1,242
80stech is on a distinguished road
The oil in the catch can is because of problems with the way the nipple comes off the valve cover and baffling. If you can create a bit more of a rise and/or pull from the top of the nipple (maybe add some of the fibre netting stuff) so that oil has a better chance to flow back it will help. Of course the flow you have from vacuum leaks(eg. rear main seal) and blowby the more the baffling problem shows up. Think of it as the catch can is supposed to be in the valve cover. The stuck rings I think can be helped by using premium gas and some aggressive driving. Works for me! The catch can is a good idea for checking on how the system is working but you shouldn't need it when you have things working reasonably well.

I can see only using one port on the vacuum manifold being a problem as well but not so much for your oil in the catch can.
__________________
1988 325is (purchased new)
2004 X5 3.0 (new to me) 2005 X3 2.5 (new to wife)

Last edited by 80stech; 06-08-2020 at 11:14 AM. Reason: add
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #282  
Old 06-08-2020, 11:52 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Menlo Park, CA
Posts: 1,805
Fifty150hs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80stech View Post
The oil in the catch can is because of problems with the way the nipple comes off the valve cover and baffling. If you can create a bit more of a rise and/or pull from the top of the nipple (maybe add some of the fibre netting stuff) so that oil has a better chance to flow back it will help. Of course the flow you have from vacuum leaks(eg. rear main seal) and blowby the more the baffling problem shows up. Think of it as the catch can is supposed to be in the valve cover. The stuck rings I think can be helped by using premium gas and some aggressive driving. Works for me! The catch can is a good idea for checking on how the system is working but you shouldn't need it when you have things working reasonably well.

I can see only using one port on the vacuum manifold being a problem as well but not so much for your oil in the catch can.
Thanks for the input. I always run premium gas. Unfortunately, time and a wife that gets car sick doesn't allow me much aggressive driving. I need to get out on the freeway and blow it out!
Reply With Quote
  #283  
Old 06-08-2020, 02:55 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ GSP 145
Posts: 49
docnabimmer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty150hs View Post
Thanks for the input. I always run premium gas. Unfortunately, time and a wife that gets car sick doesn't allow me much aggressive driving. I need to get out on the freeway and blow it out!
HEY fifty- just want to let you know MrMcar from e46fanatics have used a liquimoly engine flush with good results- he outlined it in one of the threads @ E46fanatics if that should be of interest to you, try a search for his posts.
Good luck.

by the way , my E46 325XI touring is using the Bavarian Mod without a catch can and no oil consumption.4k miles now have not added any oil yet.

Last edited by docnabimmer; 06-08-2020 at 02:58 PM. Reason: added info
Reply With Quote
  #284  
Old 06-08-2020, 03:18 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Menlo Park, CA
Posts: 1,805
Fifty150hs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by docnabimmer View Post
HEY fifty- just want to let you know MrMcar from e46fanatics have used a liquimoly engine flush with good results- he outlined it in one of the threads @ E46fanatics if that should be of interest to you, try a search for his posts.
Good luck.

by the way , my E46 325XI touring is using the Bavarian Mod without a catch can and no oil consumption.4k miles now have not added any oil yet.
Thanks doc. I've been using their engine flush at every oil change for awhile now. I change my oil every 5000 miles and I run either 5/40 or 5/30 depending on the time of year. I tried 10/60 to see if it would cut my usage, but it didn't really. Lately, I purchase 10 liters of oil for an oil change and I can count on having to put 2 liters in before the next oil change.
Reply With Quote
  #285  
Old 06-13-2020, 12:03 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Menlo Park, CA
Posts: 1,805
Fifty150hs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty150hs View Post
Thanks doc. I've been using their engine flush at every oil change for awhile now. I change my oil every 5000 miles and I run either 5/40 or 5/30 depending on the time of year. I tried 10/60 to see if it would cut my usage, but it didn't really. Lately, I purchase 10 liters of oil for an oil change and I can count on having to put 2 liters in before the next oil change.
Checked out a post by MrMcar. He recommends using a can of ERR and letting the car idle for half a day, then shutting it down, jacking up the right side of the car to level out the pistons and pour a can of ERR into the spark plug holes and let it sit over night. Then the next morning, crank it to get the fluid out of the cylinders and do an oil change. Run it with the new oil for 1000 miles and change the oil again. His experience with 3 M54 vehicles was that it appeared to unstick the ring packs and oil consumption went way down. I may give it a try.
Reply With Quote
  #286  
Old 08-26-2020, 12:27 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ GSP 145
Posts: 49
docnabimmer is on a distinguished road
ANY body around here from the original authors of this MOD back in 2015 or any users of this MOD dating back to those early years COME Back report ANY FEEDBACK please...
Would like to know long term effects if any...good and bad.
I m running this MOD for past 5K and starting to see little drops of oil on my driveway.will be doing an oil change soon so i will be able to investigate where my leak is from .So far i cant see anything on top.
Reply With Quote
  #287  
Old 08-26-2020, 02:16 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Menlo Park, CA
Posts: 1,805
Fifty150hs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by docnabimmer View Post
ANY body around here from the original authors of this MOD back in 2015 or any users of this MOD dating back to those early years COME Back report ANY FEEDBACK please...
Would like to know long term effects if any...good and bad.
I m running this MOD for past 5K and starting to see little drops of oil on my driveway.will be doing an oil change soon so i will be able to investigate where my leak is from .So far i cant see anything on top.
I've been running this mod for about as long as you. I don't have any oil leaks that weren't there before. I'm also using just as much oil as I was before the mod. The only small change I made to the mod was to run the post pcv line through an oil catch can. And it is catching oil. So, in my experience this mod has not delivered the promised reduction in oil consumption.
Reply With Quote
  #288  
Old 08-26-2020, 03:47 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ GSP 145
Posts: 49
docnabimmer is on a distinguished road
Fifty- sorry it didn't work out for u as it did for me.My concern is the high vacuum that runs with this MOD .I am not sure if it is detrimental to the engine and its seals .Some anecdotal reports on RMS stopped lealing cause of this MOD.
Hoping that my leak is an OFHG which I have not changed yet and not the oil pan nor RMS.
Have not added oil since the MOd and despite the small oil leak level is quarter above low.
Reply With Quote
  #289  
Old 08-26-2020, 04:59 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Menlo Park, CA
Posts: 1,805
Fifty150hs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by docnabimmer View Post
Fifty- sorry it didn't work out for u as it did for me.My concern is the high vacuum that runs with this MOD .I am not sure if it is detrimental to the engine and its seals .Some anecdotal reports on RMS stopped lealing cause of this MOD.
Hoping that my leak is an OFHG which I have not changed yet and not the oil pan nor RMS.
Have not added oil since the MOd and despite the small oil leak level is quarter above low.
I'm glad you and others have had success. I wish I had. Someone on here suggested that this mod would result in fewer oil leaks due to the extra vacuum pulling air in through places like the rear main seal. Could be, I don't know. I didn't/don't have a rear main seal leak. I just did an OFHG change this weekend and it was not a bad leak, just a seep that didn't make drips, but it didn't look like this mod had made any difference in that leak. I do have a small pan gasket leak and that hasn't seemed to change with this mod either. So
Reply With Quote
  #290  
Old 08-26-2020, 09:16 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,506
cn90 is on a distinguished road
Long-term report on 2006 X5 3.0i 6sp MT...

- Nov. 2016: 122K miles: oil consumption ---> 1qt/400 miles.

- Aug. 2020: 135K miles: oil consumption ---> nothing at 5K oil change interval.

FYI: if you remove the PCV valve and connect the hoses directly using a simple metal reducer, the crankcase vacuum will be excessive and you will hear a loud hissing vacuum noise (very scary sound), been there done that and posted in this thread. So far, I am very happy with this mod. This mod using the Duralast PCV valve definitely increases the vacuum to the "correct" amount.

I will remove the Duralast PCV valve for inspection and photo for the group soon.

In many cars, this kind of PCV valve *should be* replaced every ___ yr/miles.
Does anyone here know the proper interval for let's say Duralast generic PCV valve as in this mod?
__________________
1998 E39 528i 5sp MT
2006 E53 X5 3.0 6sp MT
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
ccv, oil separator, pcv, vacuum, ventilation

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:46 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.